Sponsored by:

Please HELP - Insurance problems, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP - Insurance problems, need advice

For those of you who didn't read my post a few weeks ago, basically, my garage door broke, came off its tracks, and landed on my car

Here is the link.

The damage is not major to the body, but it did ding or scuff several body panels in the rear and will need a lot of paint work and blending- but the top needs to be replaced. I refused to take the car to their "recommended" repair shops (local dealership shops) to have the work done, and they were OK with that but an adjuster would have to review the damage. Fine, no problem. I want the car done right, so I take it to a very reputable shop and get an estimate back. The adjuster beats them up on some details, but all in all for the bodywork all was tolerable.

The problem is the top. The adjuster writes an estimate by calling a local trim shop to get the cost for an after market top. I call the claims office to politely disagree, and they tell me that they will put an OEM top on the car and note that in the file - great, I am happy. Two hours later I get a call from another "person" from the claims office, and I am told that they will NOT put an OEM top back on the car and the first person was incorrect. My response was that I already told the shop to use the OEM top. We proceed to conference call the shop to discuss the following reasons not to go aftermarket:

1. It will de-value my car
2. It is not the same fit or quality
3. My premium is based on the type of car and the fact its a cab
4. I paid a premium price for my car based on its condition

Their response is to stand by their use of an aftermarket top. They offer a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, if I am not satisfied, I can have an OEM top installed! So they will pay twice if I am not satisfied - which will most likely be the case... I have seen aftermarket tops on friends cars that look worse than cheap and don't fit properly.

I am being transferred to another claims agent as I am dissatisfied, but I doubt that it will matter. I was very polite and calm considering the claims agent was unwilling to listen, rude, not helpful, and would not give me a supervisor.

My current plan is to wait for the new claims agent, argue my reasoning again, and continue my fight.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
smankow
Pro

does your policy call for replacement with OEM parts? If so, that's what should be used. If it doesn't, ....

also, what details did the adjuster beat up the body shop?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I grew up in the insurance business because of my Dad. The only thing I would recommend would be to get their guaranty in writing and read the fine print. I would wait for the next adjuster and tell the story to him first but if they are really willing to unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction then let them spend their money.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smankow
does your policy call for replacement with OEM parts? If so, that's what should be used. If it doesn't, ....

also, what details did the adjuster beat up the body shop?
I do not know if it requires OEM parts, I doubt it, but I plan to call the insurance company tomorrow to have them fax me a copy of my policy. This OEM part is such an integral part of the car I feel it's important.

The body shop originally quoted some blending into the passenger door and the replacement of the rubber strip at the top of the door (I guess this part is typically destroyed when removed). The insurance company cut this from their estimate but was fair in the fact that if the blending was needed and the strip was damaged, they would cover it. Their overall numbers also came out lower than the shops (mainly as this is a high end collision shop).
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I grew up in the insurance business because of my Dad. The only thing I would recommend would be to get their guaranty in writing and read the fine print. I would wait for the next adjuster and tell the story to him first but if they are really willing to unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction then let them spend their money.
Thanks Steve, I will make sure I understand the details.

I am actually really trying to save them money if this is the case, I have not seen an aftermarket top that looked "right". I may be wrong, and I have not seen them all, but I have a strong feeling I will be dissappointed - not only by its looks, but I will always know it is not an original top, and I think that will bother me.

Right now I am 2-3 weeks w/o my cab and it's summer here (which is a short season). Once the top is replaced, I most likely cannot drop it for a few weeks, then have to travel back to the trim shop for its first folding down. If I am not satisfied, then I lose several more weeks for another top, plus the aggravation of losing my car (not to mention getting it there), and going through the process all over again.

Quick Reply: Please HELP - Insurance problems, need advice