Sponsored by:

Tip to manual conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tip to manual conversion questions

1. Is the tiptronic rear console different from the manual console other than the shifter bezel?

2. Are the coolant manifolds (SS tubes that run from the "tub" to the front ) for the tiptronic different than the manual ones?

3. Is the DME different in the tiptronic vs. the manual?

4. Are the axles different for the tiptronic compared to the manual?

TIA, Cory
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. The console is the same - what is under the console is not (shift tower). And, you will need to route the shifter cables.
2. Since the Tip has uses that 3rd radiator and the manual transmission does not - I think you would need to get the 3rd radiator hoses that route the coolant back to the engine (like my 3rd radiator DIY).
3. The DME is the same but the programming may need (codes) adjustment.
4. Yes, the drive shafts and mounting bolts are different.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Thanks Loren for the info. I guess I dont understand why the 3rd radiator needs to be changed in configuration. The 3rd radiator kit for a manual directs coolant differently than the tip? Also, 99firehawk (Brad) said that the instrument cluster would throw codes, I never got clarification on that and what that means. Is it a CEL or flashing lights on the cluster? Thanks for clearing up the DME as no one knew for sure before.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Loren
Drifting

Yes, the 3rd radiator on a Tip is for cooling the transmission. A manual transmission car does not have a transmission cooler - so the hose would need to be changed to route them to the normal cooling system. Not a big deal - I have added a 3rd radiator to my manual transmission car - for engine cooling.

I forgot about the cluster. I doubt it would throw a CEL but it would likely throw fault codes that would only be seen with a PST2 or PIWIS tester. I don't know what the Tip display would do. Might be best to swap the cluster out too.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

A few more questions. Is the speedometer sensor on the tranny? If it is, will it have an interface issue needing the DME reprogrammed like you said or is the plug universal between a tip and a manual? Thanks again, Cory
Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Loren
Drifting

The only electrical connection on a manual transmission is the back light switch. So that would have to be wired in (the black/blue wire and black/orange wire from the Tip would have to go to the manual trans backup switch).
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Loren - thanks for the info, very helpful!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow loren you dont mess around sir!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are other changes that have been left out. You will need to change the front transmission mount for the different transmission. You will need a new pedal cluster and clutch master cylinder assembly. If you have seen how the master cylinder and support assembly go in, you will defnitely have to remove the dash to do the swap. You will need a complete shifter assembly, cables and cable guides. Then for the clutch pedal you will need a neutral safety switch and mount. I am not sure if this exists in the tip wiring harness. For the DME, there are different pinouts for manuals and autos; but they use the same connector. I would recommend talking to GIAC if there are any issues putting a manual program in a tip ECU. For the 3rd radiator, you just need to get the 2 hoses from Porsche, which is under $50. You will also have to do a gauge and steering wheel change if you ever get rid of it, so they won't know it was a tip. Over all, it will be a lot of expense. I can't understand the financial side of doing this. I would recommend to just sell your tip and get a manual instead.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
1. Is the tiptronic rear console different from the manual console other than the shifter bezel?

2. Are the coolant manifolds (SS tubes that run from the "tub" to the front ) for the tiptronic different than the manual ones?

3. Is the DME different in the tiptronic vs. the manual?

4. Are the axles different for the tiptronic compared to the manual?

TIA, Cory

console is the same

there are diffrent hoses and a few extra ones on a tip

the dme is the same but the programing is the same. also the pins may be diffrent on the harness for a tip

the axles are diffrent

the cluster will freak out and you going to have to getto rig a switch to bypass the neutral saftey switch.
the cluster will flash through the gears and even then the car may not start

best bet = buy a stick car
buy a car with a blown engine and steal everything you need harness pedals ect and sell the shell
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
There are other changes that have been left out. You will need to change the front transmission mount for the different transmission. You will need a new pedal cluster and clutch master cylinder assembly. If you have seen how the master cylinder and support assembly go in, you will defnitely have to remove the dash to do the swap. You will need a complete shifter assembly, cables and cable guides.
Got all that above you mentioned covered already, thanks for the input.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the cluster will freak out and you going to have to getto rig a switch to bypass the neutral saftey switch.
the cluster will flash through the gears and even then the car may not start

best bet = buy a stick car
buy a car with a blown engine and steal everything you need harness pedals ect and sell the shell
You had to go and throw a wrench in my spokes Brad.

I know, I just like big projects and I figured the price of my negative equity would equate out by putting a manual in, plus it would be fun. Oklahoma Foreign siad that would give me all the parts to do a full swap for about $5k. I could offset the cost by trading all the tip parts but I have not settled on that side yet or even sure they will go through with it.

If I change the cluster, will the original keys work, I would assume yes?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

keys yes, but you will need to get it programed and the mailge issues and and and and and and
Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
keys yes, but you will need to get it programed and the mailge issues and and and and and and
True, forgot the mileage
Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

dont forget all the hydrolic lines and the slave cylinder and the operatng arm and the flywheel and pressure plate and clytch disc and release bearing and and and and and

Quick Reply: Tip to manual conversion questions