Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brakes sQueaking!!! Should I use Moly on the pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The noise is not from the pistons rubbing on the back of the pads. It is from the sides of the pad backing plate rubbing on the sides of the calipers. Any where the backing plate touches or can touch caliper metal is a potential noise maker. Without gluing the backing plate to the pistons with something, you will need to grease pretty much the whole backing plate sides and all and when it wears down do it again. You can re-use the old spiders if you clean them well and apply aftermarket available glue.

Also, when re-using rotors they need to be machine turned a small amount or by hand you can sand them to remove the previous pad material embedded in the metal. Without doing this you now have the new pad material being applied over the old pad material. Most times this does not work well decreasing stopping grip and causing wierd vibrations which can lead to SQUEAKS!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

Thanks so much. I put a good amount of grease on the entire portion of the backing plate. Every bit of it is covered. However, I placed them back in front of the shims....should I take the shims out and put the treated pads in without the shims? What adhesive would you recommend in placing the shims back on?

If I have Moly on the back, maybe I don't need the shims??

Thanks so much.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If it was my car I would buy pads, rotors, new spiders and start all over. To save what you have I would clean all the grease off (may be hard but use a solvent and do not get it on the pad material). Sand the rotors by hand with 1,000 grit paper. Sand the pads with the same. Take brake clean and clean the rotors very well along with the calipers and backing plates on the pads. Coat the backing plates with Berrymans brake disk quiet(really need the spiders IMO) and re-assemble. This is the best chance to stop the noise but still may not work if the rotors and pads cannot be cleaned enough to start the embedding process all over again. I have had good luck with the Berrymans though.

Quick Reply: Brakes sQueaking!!! Should I use Moly on the pads?