Sponsored by:

tire sizes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Oscypek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire sizes...

so as some of you might know i work at discount tires. well i need to get some new tires and i want to get some falken aznis.... well the problem is the tires don't come in 205/50/17 but they do come in 225/40/17 (and yes i said 17 its not a typo) which is the next recommoned tire size for the rim. my question is what can i expect handling wise. i haven't seen anyone on here running the 17inch stock rims with 225 wide tires and i was just wondering why. Also according to my computer at work 215/45/17 should fit but that size isn't recommended again not sure why.... yeah sorry if this doesn't make sense but im in a hurry...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not recomend it
you will have balance issues
and abs /psm issues
and porsche drive like garbage with non n rated tires
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Oscypek
Instructor

balance? im not sure why there would be an issue with that but then again these cars are really sensative.... what do you mean about the abs/psm issue... is the car going to get confused or something?...... lol i like that comment about the n rated tire... im going to use that next time someone with a porsche shows up at my work.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

porsche spends lots of money to perfect the handeling on their cars,
they work with tire manufactuers to devlop tires for their cars that match the handling.
Drive a car with Matching N rated tires and then drive one with non nrated or mismatched tires
youll be amazed how much a porsche can feel like a minivan

yes changing tire size will affect your psm and abs
Old 05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I drive my non N-rated Goodyear UltraGrip winter tires for 4 months of the year and I'm always delighted by how fantastic they are for winter tires. Frankly, I'd rather ride them than N-rated Continental Crapi-Sports. But to be fair, I do drive on N-rated Pirilli P-Zeros in the summer. While they may be supremely superior in track, spirited and/or hot driving, they are only noticeably better for around town driving.

As to the original question of 225s on a 17, I wouldn't recommend it. The diameters of the two tires are different by 3.95% (according to this tire size calculator). While under 4% is occasionally considered acceptable, I'd prefer to be under 3%. That's why 99firehawk said that it can impact your PSM and ABS, which depend on detailed and specific diamater knowledge of your wheels/tires to function properly.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

i was looking to get either the aznis or the pole postion re0somethingsomething. the reason i would rather have the aznis is cause its an amazing tire and its cheap. i know the pole postions aren't n-spec either but to tell u the truth i don't beleive in the n-spec thing. yes the n-spec tires might be better but i doubt by much, especially when compared to a tire that performes so well as the pole postion and the aznis do. i checked out the list of the n-spec tires and most of them aren't that great except for the pole position s0-2 but i beleive the re0 are a much better tire. the list i looked at didn't have the ps2 on them and i was pretty sure that the tire was n-spec.... maybe i was looking at an older list so if anyone could please post up the new n-spec list that would be great.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a thread that provided viewpoints both in favor of N-spec tires and views that were non-supportive of those tires.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=N-spec+tires
Old 05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

never ceases to amaze me that poeple cheap out on the ONE thing that keeps your *** planted to the pavement.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

here a flaken post:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84982
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
never ceases to amaze me that poeple cheap out on the ONE thing that keeps your *** planted to the pavement.
come on dell its not like their driving a 70k $ car
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
come on dell its not like their driving a 70k $ car

Brad, I love your dry humor! Reminds me of myself.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post Ranger. Makes sense. Indeed, one may apply that logic to exhausts, intakes, plenums, etc. That's what makes the aftermarket go round and round.

In any event, I've driven both N-rated and non N-rated tires on my Pcars. Contis are N-rated and I can't think of a worse tire in any category. I like my winter tires better. But my Pzeros are N-rated and I love their feel for day to day. Mind you, I've read complaints about their lane stability and noise as they get worn so I'll have to report back when I get more miles on them.

A good idea is to test drive some used Porsches at your local dealer with different tires on them and see which feel good to you under spirited driving. Did I mention I hate the CrapiSports?

Quick Reply: tire sizes...