Sponsored by:

Advice on Camera setup for a 996

Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Camera setup for a 996

I know some of you race folk or people who just like to film baller cruises and whatnot have some wikid camera setups on the car.

I'd love to get a setup like that for filming ontrack action. Can someone recommend a good quality setup that won't break the bank?

Ideally 1 cam for front (on the bumper?), one rear and maybe one incar.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

two ways i've seen this done. one is to buy two cheap camcorders (DV) with A/V inputs. run one lipstick cam to each one. the other way was with PCMCIA capture cards on a higher end laptop with a DVR program that captures from multiple cameras simutaneously. i think the camcorder route is cheaper. there's even a way to install a remote switch that starts both cameras with a single button push, but i have no idea how to do this.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DV is great - but you'll need to isolate them from track vibrations or risk picture break-up.

I see the track-heads using solid state recording rather than tape to get around this issue - you can also get data loggers that show your gauges with these systems - just like on TV!

For in-car, look for a camera head that can have a grad filter fitted, to balance the bright light seen through the screen Vs the darker interior of the car - otherwise you get a black interior and can't see your slick gear shifts!

The grad filter balances the lighting - and gives a nice pro result.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
every day
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Bruce at American Race Day. He's a great guy (races in POC) and really knows his stuff:

http://www.americanraceday.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on Camera setup for a 996