996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bosch makes a plugnplay battery

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch makes a plugnplay battery

If you are looking for a replacement battery that has the proper vent tube opening and fits in the battery tray perfectly, find a Bosch group type 94 battery. $120 at PepBoys isn't exactly cheap, but the install is very straightforward. Keep in mind that I have a 2003 c4s tip, so measure your battery first. My battery was 12.5" by 7".
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Yip, I have one and have been very happy with it... holding charge nicely over the winter.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Diamond Blue 4S tip
If you are looking for a replacement battery that has the proper vent tube opening and fits in the battery tray perfectly, find a Bosch group type 94 battery. $120 at PepBoys isn't exactly cheap, but the install is very straightforward. Keep in mind that I have a 2003 c4s tip, so measure your battery first. My battery was 12.5" by 7".
Damn, Thats almost 2x what I paid at autozone for a Duralast battery.

I leave the car parked for 4-6 days at a time and it holds it charge completely.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is the same Johnson Controls battery sold under a bunch of brands. If it is, the Johnson Controls name appears on the instruction sheet with the vent tubing. Have a look at:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

I bought a Johnson Controls battery at Costco under its Kirkland brand for under $60, spend another $10 on a 9 volt settings maintainer at AutoZone, and was set to go. Very easy to change.

It could be that the brand name ones are better manufactured. I have no idea.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I think mine (also from PepBoys) came in at $94 with core exchange.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

It was very difficult finding a battery that had the right foot print, not to mention having the vent tube fitting in the right place and the right size. I looked at the Interstate, Die hard and Autozone's selection, and none of them were close until I went to PepBoys and looked at their Bosch. It fits perfectly in the battery tray and for that, I paid a premium price.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
ML
Instructor

Interstate MTP91 fits perfectly and has vent tube. If you search thread for "interstate", you will find more info than you want.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Diamond Blue 4S tip
It was very difficult finding a battery that had the right foot print, not to mention having the vent tube fitting in the right place and the right size. I looked at the Interstate, Die hard and Autozone's selection, and none of them were close until I went to PepBoys and looked at their Bosch. It fits perfectly in the battery tray and for that, I paid a premium price.
I'm surprised by this comment also, as it's standard battery size... size 48 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Default AHA

Originally Posted by ML
Interstate MTP91 fits perfectly and has vent tube. If you search thread for "interstate", you will find more info than you want.
That sounds like a different model number than the guy at Lamb's Auto (local Interstate dealer) showed me. I did my search just on battery. It would have saved me a lot of time if I had seen the correct battery sooner. 'Course the cost was the same...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bosch makes a plugnplay battery