Sponsored by:

3.8L stroker....... or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
Im a self confessed deal junkie. I always consider the deal when making a large purchase...and in my opinion, the supercharger is the better deal. I don't know how long you plan to keep your 996 but I assume you will eventually sell it. When it's time to sell, you can remove the supercharger and sell it on rennlist or ebay and get half what you paid for it (give or take a little). With the stroker, you will get nothing and I don't expect the car would sell for much if any more with the engine modded... So, in my opinion, if they both cost $10k, then the effective net cost of the supercharger is only $5K. Is the stroker worth double? I personally don't think so.

just my $.02
Nice points....but you have to consider labor on the removal as well which may be a couple grand...so you are looking at 3k....would the 3.8L be worth 3k? YES...I do mods based on my enjoyment, not based on the value of the car...I guess because I plan on keeping for a LONG time....so my thought is long term reliability. As many have said, supercharging a high compression engine is usually not a good idea....If he is gonna sell soon, save the 10k and put it towards a TT....
Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, newport my thoughts exactly.... I my engine blows, I'll rebuild it with more power. For the same $ and HP I would much prefer to drive the NA Bored & Stroked engine vs a SC. Just my preference.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice points....but you have to consider labor on the removal as well which may be a couple grand...so you are looking at 3k....would the 3.8L be worth 3k? YES...I do mods based on my enjoyment, not based on the value of the car...I guess because I plan on keeping for a LONG time....so my thought is long term reliability. As many have said, supercharging a high compression engine is usually not a good idea....If he is gonna sell soon, save the 10k and put it towards a TT....
Good point Newport996...I will admit that I really don't know what Im talking about and have never seriously looked into either mod...and if you plan to keep your car forever or a very long time, then go for the one that gives you the best performance. I do think there are some people here who have supercharged there engines...and I haven't heard bad reviews (about engine failures etc...) so I don't know that it is necessarily too unreliable.

I do agree about the TT. That will be my next purchase.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... i do agree with all the points made....great ones by the way....you know... it's tough to say whether i will keep the car for a long time or if i come across a great deal i might just jump on it..... passion and impulse is stupid when it comes to car buying... especially if the car is in the range of 100K plus.....
in terms of mods... i agree with newport in that do what you like... ultimately, i'm the one enjoying the car. but then once you do decide to sell..... the first thought in my mind is how do i get back that money.... which will never be the case...... i just sold my G35 Supercharged... loved the hell out of it... costly to have it done and when i sold it, i didn't get back even 35% of the finance that i put into it.... but if i wait for a TT..... that's going to take some time... given that i just got married, and planning on a family within the next two years........ So do i enjoy Now with a stroker/supercharger or wait probably 5 years for a TT?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Why not enjoy it as it is? The stock 996 is amazing in terms of performance....I would do suspension, rims/tires, etc...then find my local canyons and have a blast....
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i agree... i am in the process of rims and suspension now... just got my iforged 19's 8.5 fronts with the 11's in the back.. now looking for pss9........ system already done with the alpine head, focal speakers with a 10" sub headers done, exhaust, and now looking for something with a little more kick..... i mean i come from a supercharged g35 with 410 hp and a twin turbo z with 520 hp... it's tough with a 300 hp car even if it's a porsche.....although i can't argue about the handling and the way it makes me feel.....
Old 02-16-2007, 03:50 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

unfortunately you bought the wrong car for cheap engine mods....a TT would have been a better choice....you could get 500+ hp pretty easily.....
Old 02-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

yeah..... well... never had a porsche before and didn't know about rennlist and all those car forums until now..... so if looking back, i would have gotten the tt but i was worried about all the high maintanance if something went wrong ...... this is my intro car.......
Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
CLS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i recently spoke to GMG and they told me they can do a 3.8L stroker kit....for about the same price that it would cost to supercharge the 3.4L ....... what is a stroker kit, how reliable is it and how well does it run....? it is worth doing vs a supercharger? anyone with experience pls chime in.... debating to supercharge or go this route.........
I don't what part of the country your from, but here in N.CA putting a SC on you can can be very problematic in regards to CAB or emissions laws. If a CHP officer or for any police officer feels you have modified your car's engine they can have the car impound right then and there, at the very least he can send you to a special referee station and you wont pass Even if the emission as better then state requires you'll fail on visual, period.

Just another issue you might half to consider when, a stroker will pass, S/C will fail. Or you just save the money and buy a GT2 you can get away with so much more from visual performance side.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:11 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLS
I don't what part of the country your from, but here in N.CA putting a SC on you can can be very problematic in regards to CAB or emissions laws. If a CHP officer or for any police officer feels you have modified your car's engine they can have the car impound right then and there, at the very least he can send you to a special referee station and you wont pass Even if the emission as better then state requires you'll fail on visual, period.

Just another issue you might half to consider when, a stroker will pass, S/C will fail. Or you just save the money and buy a GT2 you can get away with so much more from visual performance side.
Good point never thought about it....In CA...you must smog every other year....if you cannot find an "underground" smog shop to pass you, you have to pay to remvove it and smog then reinstall it that could be a $3K-$4K cost every other year on a S/C.....
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

good point cls.... i am in socal... so my hands are just as tied.....i don't think a lot of cops out there really knows what a porsche sounds like... hell i don't even know it well enough to know what mods are on the car..... and i listen to my car and every porsche that passes me everyday.... but in light of it, you are correct, moded cars in california do get shafted pretty hard........ i spoke to Vivid and they told me that the evoms sc was suppose to be carb legal soon, but i think they say that all the time......... selling strategy you know......sneaky bastards..........
Old 02-16-2007, 04:16 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

good point cls.... i am in socal... so my hands are just as tied.....i don't think a lot of cops out there really knows what a porsche sounds like... hell i don't even know it well enough to know what mods are on the car..... and i listen to my car and every porsche that passes me everyday.... but in light of it, you are correct, moded cars in california do get shafted pretty hard........ i spoke to Vivid and they told me that the evoms sc was suppose to be carb legal soon, but i think they say that all the time......... selling strategy you know......sneaky bastards..........
Yeah the EVOMS was supposed to be CARB legal like for YEARS.....
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

well when i spoke to vivid they sad in january of this year..... i guess they missed the deadline....
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

you know... it's wierd though... i have the Vortech supercharger on my G35 and it's carb legal... from what i know isn't the EVOMS also from Vortech? is it that much of a difference that they can legal one and not the other....?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
Yeah the EVOMS was supposed to be CARB legal like for YEARS.....
Its actually really expensive and time consuming to have a lab do the CARB certification durability tests and I'm not sure they would sell enough additional kits because of the CARB number to make it worth their while?

from what i know isn't the EVOMS also from Vortech
The EVO kit was designed by VF Engineering.

i spoke to Vivid and they told me that the evoms sc was suppose to be carb legal soon, but i think they say that all the time
Anything they say should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

Quick Reply: 3.8L stroker....... or Supercharger?