996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good bye to all that (long winded)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Good bye to all that (long winded)

I turned in my leased 2003 Carrera 4S on Saturday and am currently Porsche-less, after owning a 993 for 5 years and a Boxster S for 3. I really loved them all and had no signifigant problems with any of them. They were fun, sturdy, and durable. I will not be getting another.
There are several reasons for this. First is the sale of the local franchise to a dealer who I have had terrible experiences with in the past and who has a well deserved reputation for incompetence and dishonesty. I will never do business with them.
Secondly is the fact the Porsches have changed for the worse in the past 10 years. They haven't gotten signifigantly more expensive, with additional costs for "options" that should be standard on cars like these at these prices. In short, Porsche is gouging its customers and I don't like. Also, the cars have lost some of the edge they used to have. Now, you have to drop over 100k for at GT3 to get back to the raw, connected, intense sensations that use to be found in all Porsches.
What sealed the deal was a test drive in the new BMW Z4 Mcoupe. For 54K you get a terrific sports car with great bulld quality, a thrilling engine, awesome brakes and suspension and the thrill of being directly connected to it all.
Porsches have changed. They are making money hand over fist, and obviously most customers are happy but an era has ended and now other makers are offering what I am looking for, C'est la guerre.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strong words, but I understand where you're coming from. Did you think there was any comparison between the Cayman S and the BMW?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

I did drive the Cayman S. Its very impressive, smooth and fast and handsome with lots of luggage room. I really thought I would get one but then I drove the BMW Z4M Coupe. It was so much more FUN than the Cayman. I was thrilled when I got out of the car, as opposed to being impressed with the Cayman S. Couple that with the 20k difference in the prices of the cars similarly optioned and it was no comparison.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i hear ya.... good luck with your M, nice machine. hope you find happiness in BMW.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dadc4s
What sealed the deal was a test drive in the new BMW Z4 Mcoupe. For 54K you get a terrific sports car with great bulld quality, a thrilling engine, awesome brakes and suspension and the thrill of being directly connected to it all.
I don't agree with everything you said, but your words on the M are spot on. I'm going to strongly consider one when I sell my 996 C2. Enjoy in good health
Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

dadC4S, the first reactions to your post show that you're not alone with your observations. I've now my fifth BMW and my first Porsche and never had problems with any of my BMWs but my 996 did already cost me a lot of money and some frustration. The fun factor is relative and surely high on the 996 but the price-quality relation is clearly better at BMW. You get more for the money and pay less brand premium. OK, BMW doesn't offer a GT3 kind of car, but if you consider a regular 911, a Cayman, a Boxster or a Cayenne, BMW has very good comparable cars.

I've also considered the Z4M as it combines a well balanced chassis with an incredible engine, fine suspension and a perfect transmission and might by one some day as replacement of my 996.

One observation I made: Even after the B&M SSK installation on my 996 and a new clutch, the shifting on the 996 does not reach BMW stock level. I wish you good luck and much fun with your M Coupe. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That's why I'll always buy used. The second-hand market depreciates all of those options that should have been standard. It's not a coin thing; it's a principle and value thing.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
lanny
Racer

I agree with some of what it said here-I think Porsche is making lots of $$ and I can completely understand that, as far as dealer service thats just a shame. I loved the Cayman when I saw it and drove it- I just dont like that z4 coupe- reminds me of a wagon for some reason - love the 6 series coupes however- hope you are happy with your choice!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

It seems that while many will not agree with all I have said, many agree with much of it. Issues of value, or lack thereof, seem to resonate the most. If I were Porsche, I would find that troubling. Porsche buyers have always been thought of as very loyal customers, convinced of the superiority of these cars and willing to pay a premium for perceived value. I think that may be changing as Porsche's larger success in the marketplace has damaged that perception. Porsches are becoming "nice cars", not "the best cars" and the ability to charge huge prices and expect forbearance for repeated RMS failures and $950 stop watches (sports chrono) is not maintainable going forward. By the way, the Z4M has a "sport" button that sharpens throttle response signifigantly for sporting drives on open roads or tracks, it's standard.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

OK, BMW doesn't offer a GT3 kind of car, but if you consider a regular 911, a Cayman, a Boxster or a Cayenne, BMW has very good comparable cars.

I can see where BMW offers a Z4 and Z4 M roadster and coupe which compete with the Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman. But I'm curious as to which BMW model you believe competes with the 911. If you say the M3, I can't really agree, but I suppose that it's about as close as BMW gets to a 911.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

Read my M3 post.....You'll be back.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

The M3 is nothing like a Z4M coupe, the M3 is a GT car, the Mcoupe is a real sportscar, more real than the Cayman or my C4S.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Bottom line: drive what you love to drive!

I love the C4S Cab, and think it's the best Porsche I've ever driven. I do not like the look or feel of the Z/M Bimmer, but that's personal taste. I have other vehicles, but the thrill I get behind the wheel of the C4S Cab is unmatched.

Anyway, hope your experience is a good one, to each his own. Enjoy, and be safe.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to have a Z3 M Coupe (Euro spec with 321hp and no traction control) and try as may, I just can't get the same thrills out of my C2 that I did from my M Coupe. I got the C2 for the rear seats for my twins, but 6 months after the sale, I still miss that car. If you think the Z4 M Coupe is fun, give one of the later (01 or 02) Z3 M Coupes. Enjoy your M, I sure did mine.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW are nice cars...but just a BMW.....a Porsche is a Porsche...no matter what!!! And getting more thrill out of driving a Z3....RIGHT!!!

But everybody is entittled to their opinion and so am I....by the way I am a BMW lover as well as a Porsche lover and like the Z4...but not over a 911...and come on.....who can really drive either of these cars to the max on the road!!!

Quick Reply: Good bye to all that (long winded)