Sponsored by:

Good bye to all that (long winded)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:17 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newport996
You want a rawer feeling? Get the suspension done and a SSK and you are there...
Exactly the conclusion I came to when I selected my 996.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phwang20
I think a lot of you are missing the point. He didn't say straight up, but rather for the price. For $30K less, you don't get $30K less in performance or the "wow" factor.
I can understand this argument, but for me it was the reason I bought a 996 instead of a 997.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by itorque
I can buy a watch made in Japan for $50.00 that keeps time as good or better than my Submariner. Do I want the Rolex or the one that keeps good time? The maintenance on my Rolex costs more than 5 of those watches. I will still take the Rolex anyday. It is not about value........
What's it about then? I'm dying to hear if you'll have the chutzpah to say that it's about anything other than show. I mean, I know Rolex makes good watches, but clearly, some watches have more to do with who sees you wearing them than telling the actual time. And yes, I know I am stirring up the hornets' nest on this one, particularly since I love nice watches.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
YES - I do remember. My buddy had an M-Coupe and not only had his engine replaced out of warranty, he had his warranty extended to 100K. I think that is the right thing for Porsche to do with the 996 motors that go south too. However, it only seems to be us guys who have had to pony up the $10-14K who feel that way. This is another reason I have soured on Porsche.

Well my engine went south...but I did my research, bought a CPO car and it was fully covered under warranty.....In fact they did warranty repairs on my car AFTER my 100k warranty was up....oh and guess what BMW has a CPO deductable....Porsche does not. I guarantee you buy a used M3, and the engine goes out of warranty, you will have problems with BMW replacing the engine for free.

As for an 80k car not coming with mats...YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR MATS!!! You are paying for Porsch engineering...thats not cheap....you get a car that is as fast as just about any car on the market...hell the 996 has near supercar performance, and yet its still reliable and driveable DAILY...I bought a 80k Range Rover and guess what...NO MATS INCLUDED....There is a reason the car costs so much....
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Besides my Carrera 4S mats from Llyods are much better anyway!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dadc4s
What sealed the deal was a test drive in the new BMW Z4 Mcoupe. For 54K you get a terrific sports car with great bulld quality, a thrilling engine, awesome brakes and suspension and the thrill of being directly connected to it all. Porsches have changed. They are making money hand over fist, and obviously most customers are happy but an era has ended and now other makers are offering what I am looking for, C'est la guerre.
Welcome to BMW M cars (big hug!). Great choice with the Z4 M Coupe. It's BMW's sportiest model until the arrival of the E90 M3 (with 400-hp V8). The new M3 will have to be a very a good car to justify its guaranteed price premium over your Z4MC.

Last edited by SleepRM3; 01-31-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Welcome to BMW M cars (big hug!). Great choice with the Z4 M Coupe. It's BMW's sportiest model until the arrival of the E90 M3 (with 400-hp V8). The new M3 will have to very a good car to justify its guaranteed price premium over your Z4MC.
Autoweek is reporting that the new M3 is larger in most every dimension, heavier, and has a longer wheelbase than the previous model.
How are your fellow M fanatics feeling about this?
Autoweek is guessing at 0-60 in 5.0s....... How heavy is this thing gonna be?
Seems like the M3 is moving further and further away from the original and early cars, and closer to the M5.
Actually, I'd be curious as to a comparison between this new E90 M3 and the original M5. Sounds like very similar cars.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:33 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Autoweek is reporting that the new M3 is larger in most every dimension, heavier, and has a longer wheelbase than the previous model.
How are your fellow M fanatics feeling about this?
Autoweek is guessing at 0-60 in 5.0s....... How heavy is this thing gonna be?
Seems like the M3 is moving further and further away from the original and early cars, and closer to the M5.
Actually, I'd be curious as to a comparison between this new E90 M3 and the original M5. Sounds like very similar cars.
We're not feeling good about the way the new M3s are heading (more weight and complexity, etc.). Most E30 M3 owners think they have the best M3. As an E36 M3 owner, I think we have the best M3, although the E46 M3 is quite the looker. I'm not keen on the looks of the new E90 M3. It looks like a Pontiac GTO LOL The performance of the new E90 will have to be quite stunning. If it's not, current E46 M3 owners will either hold on to their M3s, or buy new Z4 M Coupes (lighter, faster, and more fun to drive).
Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly, my wife and I used to own a BMW 525i. Loved it. However, she was really hankering after a true sports car. So, we decided to test drive the Z4M. She really loved the power, but she wasn't happy with what she considered to be a heavy clutch and she felt somewhat claustrophobic in it. She said she felt like she was sitting way back behind a long hood and a low roof. She wasn't super impressed with it, other than the obvious power advantage (and this from a BMW owner).

She then test drove the Cayman, and while she wished the car had more power, she absolutely loved the Cayman from the get-go. She said she felt much more connected with it. It felt like a more natural car to her. It just felt "right".

Take nothing away from the Z4M. She just liked the Cayman better (even with the HP deficit)

Just another perspective.

Last edited by 450knotOffice; 01-31-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
Interestingly, my wife and I used to own a BMW 525i. Loved it. However, she was really hankering after a true sports car. So, we decided to test drive the Z4M. She really loved the power, but she wasn't happy with what she considered to be a heavy clutch and she felt somewhat claustrophobic in it. She said she felt like she was sitting way back behind a long hood and a low roof. She wasn't super impressed with it, other than the obvious power advantage (and this from a BMW owner).

She then test drove the Cayman, and while she wished the car had more power, she absolutely love the Cayman from the get-go. She said she felt much more connected with it. It felt like a more natural car to her. It just felt "right".

Take nothing away from the Z4M. She just liked the Cayman better (even with the HP deficit)

Just another perspective.
Most of the mag articles I've read gave the Cayman S the advantage over the Z4 M Coupe. British car mags love the new Z4M Coupe. They think the Z4MC has "personality", while the Cayman S gets the job done through the turns with very little drama...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every brand, every model, when improved and rolled out is "bigger and heavier" than its predecessor. From VW Golfs to S class Benzes. The only way to get "lighter" or "more responsive" seems to be to buy older versions. Which is a bit ironic since it is those very versions people complain are too heavy or too unresponsive to begin with, untill the "next" generation comes out, then they become the "great old cars" Longhoods, Mid-year cars, SC/Carerras/ 964/993/996. Each version got progressively worse (ie heavier, less responsive) yet faster and quantifiably (sp?) better at the same time
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
itorque
Instructor

Originally Posted by nycebo
What's it about then? I'm dying to hear if you'll have the chutzpah to say that it's about anything other than show. I mean, I know Rolex makes good watches, but clearly, some watches have more to do with who sees you wearing them than telling the actual time. And yes, I know I am stirring up the hornets' nest on this one, particularly since I love nice watches.
Are you saying you bought a Porsche becuase of value? Do you like nice watches because they tell better time? or do you appreciate the engineering that goes into a perpetual watch that does not need batteries. There is much more to it than who sees you wearing it if you understand and appreciate the engineering that goes into making it. The same goes for cars. Some buy them to be seen inside and some buy them for the engineering and heritage wheather it is for racing or just an appreciation of the engineering.

You are missing the point of my original statement.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Some good points on this thread both pro and con. It seems Porsche has figured out a way to get by on doing just enough to make us all happy, or at least content enough to buy their cars in record numbers. I think at this stage it is a pretty poor value from a performance per dollar spent perspective. I also think the interior quality and interior contrstuction is borderline abomination for a car in any price range let alone one in the 80k-130k range. Still there is something special about it nonetheless. It is respected and awed by just about everyone, and holds a dear place in the hearts of automotive fans worldwide. Myself included in that group. I love the car, but find so many things disappointing with it, yet at the same time there is nothing I would rather drive on a daily basis so you see where Porsche really has us in a unique spot. We know for a fact that they can do better. It seems the 993 was truly a quality car all the way around. The 996 was a revolution of sorts and almost was like starting over for them. They worked out some kinks with it in 2004 and made it more aethetically appealing. They improved on that with a gorgeous 997, and have made some strides in interior quality. Seems they are finding their way with the water cooled and bigger 911. I would expect the 998 to be the culmination of things with the water cooled engine and should be back to 993 type solid build quality both inside and outside the car. It is what should be expected, and should be the bench mark. I think many of us give Porsche a total pass because well it is Porsche. Just like people give Rolex a pass when their watch loses time each year over a Timex. You accept quirks of a Rolex automatic because it is Rolex even though you should expect perfection from a watch that is a minimum 3k to get. If it was a Timex you woudl throw it away, bitch and moan and buy something else. Porsche gets the same pass.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you saying you bought a Porsche becuase of value?
Yes, I bought a used Porsche with 5200 miles at a just slightly greater than 50% discount to sticker. Good value!

or do you appreciate the engineering that goes into a perpetual watch that does not need batteries. There is much more to it than who sees you wearing it if you understand and appreciate the engineering that goes into making it.
I hear you here. But again, there are plenty of watches that have wonderful mechanisms that sell at a discount to Rolex. Zenith (don't own one) and Ulysse Nardin (don't own one) are good examples.

You are missing the point of my original statement.
I get the drift. Just splitting hairs with you.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:32 PM
itorque
Instructor

I get the drift. Just splitting hairs with you.
[/QUOTE]

My rolex says it is time to drift!

Quick Reply: Good bye to all that (long winded)