Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good bye to all that (long winded)

Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Einstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you like the way it looks go for it. there is no way i would like to have that look.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Einstein
Instructor

if you like the way it looks go for it. there is no way i would like to have that look.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckmjr
I'd say go buy a Honda, or Toyota, or Ford and drive just that car for awhile. Then, when you jump back into your BMW or Porsche, doesn't matter what, the grin will once again be ear to ear.
I did buy a Honda for my Daughter. Accord Coupe V6 GREAT car! Feels just like a 996 but less rattles but the engine is in backwards. If this car was a rear wheel drive I would own one for a daily driver.

On the MCoupe I love the styling but have not driven one. I went to the M5 driving school in SC with a friend and drove the snot out of Z4's and M5's for two days and can say that neither did much for me. The M5 is too big and the Z4 just didn't have any pizzaz. Get the Cayman as a loaner and don't care for it either...maybe I should go drive an MCoupe.... Looks like a good choice to me
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 AM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thanks for the good wishes

One thing is for sure, the people on this forum have class. Posting a message like my original one on this post would be a recipe for a full frontal flame assault on many other boards but here it has gotten many thoughtful and interesting comments.
I will let you know how life with the Z4M coupe goes and as my feelings and opinions evolve in this Porsche-less future I will share my thoughts. Thanks for all the good wishes...see you down the road.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
OK, BMW doesn't offer a GT3 kind of car, but if you consider a regular 911, a Cayman, a Boxster or a Cayenne, BMW has very good comparable cars.

I can see where BMW offers a Z4 and Z4 M roadster and coupe which compete with the Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman. But I'm curious as to which BMW model you believe competes with the 911. If you say the M3, I can't really agree, but I suppose that it's about as close as BMW gets to a 911.
+1

My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=dadc4s]One thing is for sure, the people on this forum have class. Posting a message like my original one on this post would be a recipe for a full frontal flame assault on many other boards but here it has gotten many thoughtful and interesting comments.

Try posting on the 993 board that you are selling your 993 to buy a 996 because the 993 just doesn't do it for you anymore. My guess is that the flamming would char-broil you within an hour.

or

Try posting on the 997TT board that you are trading in your TT for a C6 Z06 and see what kind of response you get.

Rennlist is the best auto enthusiasts site online IMHO but I am not sure that kinder and gentler are appropriate adjectives.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Hmmm...interesting. I was coming back from a client this morning and a black Z4 Mcoupe pulls out to catch up to me in traffic. At the light I notice it's got a dealer plate and two guys (looked like salesmen) in the car and they're grinning and pointing at my car (covered in slush and salt). He's in the lane to my left at the light 4-5 feet ahead of me; while I'm stuck behind a minivan. Light turns green and he squirts in front of the minivan and onto the right hand hwy ramp; luckily the van goes straight and I start reeeling him in. On the ramp he's pushing pretty hard and just to try to keep me from "pushing" him up the ramp! Road is wet and the Snowsport 240's and AWD are just unbeatable. Once we get on the highway, I easily pull ahead and with every shift he falls a little further back (the look on the driver's face when he heard the PSE open up was priceless....what a grin!. At 180 Kph, I back off and he just exits at the next ramp.
Conclusion: Mcoupe is pretty quick, but doesn't have anywhere near the grip, cornering or auditory and visual impact.
However, enjoy your new ride and see you again soon in the Porsche brotherhood!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have said this many times. It is baffling to me that an 80k car can come with partial leather seats. It is baffling that a 30k Mustang has a short shifter as standard equipment, but Porsche wants me to pay an extra 500 for it. An 80K car cannot come with freaking floor mats, and I apparently cannot expect it not to rattle like a childs toy. I am on my first 911 after owning 5 BMW's of various series 3 3 series, 540 and the current wife car is an X5. All of them had better reliability and quality construction than my 911. Now my 911 is more fun to drive than any of them, and there is no denying that. It is more that there is a lot more trouble to get it at a much higher cost for lesser amenities. Needless to say thus far my Porsche experience compared to my BMW experience leaves a whole lot to be desired. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but really when you're buying a Porsche should you not expect the best?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
joey c
Pro

its really a shame or maybe a sham...i love porsches but not new ones..they drive great but like blk on blk said "80k and you have to buy floor mats"..get real..
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
its well documented...most high end sports cars have engine failures documented....Aston Martins new AMV8 has had some issues as well......
YES - I do remember. My buddy had an M-Coupe and not only had his engine replaced out of warranty, he had his warranty extended to 100K. I think that is the right thing for Porsche to do with the 996 motors that go south too. However, it only seems to be us guys who have had to pony up the $10-14K who feel that way. This is another reason I have soured on Porsche.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spend most of my Porsche time on the street, rather than the track (although I autocrossed for 10 years), so street performance matters more to me these days than track performance.

I've owned 4 Porsches and 8 BMWs. My current Porsche is a '99 996. I've never owned an M3, but I've test driven two of the E46 variety (it's pretty impressive, by the way). In daily driving (where we're driving at less than 10/10's) the M3 is very competitive with a 996 or 997. Its 0-60 time of 5 seconds, 333hp/262foot pounds of torque, and stopping distance of 112' from 60mph (source: Edmunds.com) suggest why it performs on a level comparable to the Porsches on the street.

Which car would be faster on the track is not the point of this posting. Rather, I merely want to say that in every day life, the M3 will do all that its driver will ask of it. Like the Porsches, it has more abilities than can safely be exploited on the street.

What makes the M3 also attractive to me is the added benefit of being a practical daily driver (rear seating, adequate trunk space, good visibility, plenty of room for my burly 6'1" frame, etc.).

It doesn't matter which is the better car from a theoretical point of view - the Porsches and the BMW provide thrills and similar street performance...but the BMW does it for alot less money. For many people, this makes the BMW a better value for the money.

Last edited by VGM911; 01-30-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 PM
itorque
Instructor

I can buy a watch made in Japan for $50.00 that keeps time as good or better than my Submariner. Do I want the Rolex or the one that keeps good time? The maintenance on my Rolex costs more than 5 of those watches. I will still take the Rolex anyday. It is not about value........
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Every time I think I'm getting tired of my C4S (happened with my 01 C4 too) I drive something else looking for that feel that will make my pants fit funny, and it's never there.

I did drive a few Ferrari's and boy the 360 is sex on wheels but I'd be damned if I could drive it all year in the Northeast like my C4S. BMW, Mercedes - some very beautiful and fun cars in their respected lineup, but I couldn't get myself to give up the 911 for one of them.

Eh, the 911 isn't for everyone and I'm okay with that. I like that fact that we choose to drive these cars when certainly there is a large selection of cars on the market we could choose from.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This should stir things up:

The engine is in the wrong spot and it looks like a clown shoe - Bangled.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
itorque
Instructor

Rob, I just became a member and it is humor like this that will keep me here! Too good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good bye to all that (long winded)