996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Knocking with turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still couldnt belive it is a cv, DO we know is the car a c4 or a c2?
stop you car and turn the steering whell to the position that the car makes the noise
check the tires for conact with the inner fender.
if its a c4 also look at the fron axles for torn boots
Old 01-21-2007, 12:12 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought he has a C2 so no front CV's.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I thought he has a C2 so no front CV's.
You are correct - missed that one

Have you jacked up each side, and checked each wheel for play?

Typically, if you grab each wheel at the top and bottom, and pull back and forth, you shouldn't feel any play when they are in the air.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dave - certainly this may be the case, as i have never had a car with summer tires on them, usually my prior cars have had all season. This problem i had not noticed until it got really cold here in New England a few weeks ago.

I am hoping that as the weather warms, it goes away, otherwise i hope the warrenty still covers the other potential problems mentioned
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lower-control arm.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lic265
Dave - certainly this may be the case, as i have never had a car with summer tires on them, usually my prior cars have had all season. This problem i had not noticed until it got really cold here in New England a few weeks ago.

I am hoping that as the weather warms, it goes away, otherwise i hope the warrenty still covers the other potential problems mentioned
One way I believe to rule out things others have mentioned is to describe how the car handles/behaves during normal driving, both at speed and around town cruising. Does the car seem to wander(requiring constant steering input to keep it on track)? Does the car track straight and true? Do you experience bump steer(the tendency to of the car to choose a different direction over bumps)? Are there any "thumps" or odd noises when turning the steering with the car in reverse? Does the car vibrate or make any noises during acceleration or braking?

I'd find it odd for your car, an 04, to have any symptoms of suspension/steering wear as would be indicated by what I've questioned above(although it wouldn't be unheard of especially not knowing the miles or condition of the roads you drive on). Have you taken the car for a spirited 10-15 mile ride(to get the tires a bit warm) and then checked to see if it still occurs? Did it occur when the temps outside were well above freezing? Finally, what tires do you have on the car?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is my first p- car, and i have logged about 2 k miles on it. It does seem to track straight and true when on the highway and around town, No other noises.
I will drive it with the tires warm and see

Quick Reply: Knocking with turning