996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: which SUV would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jarrod - maybe you should outline the expected use for this SUV.

Is it going to max-out scaling the curb at CostCo and hauling a big load back from Nordstroms, or is it going to go off road, perhaps towing?

Statman -I could say the same about my 2 x 986s - I'd have never bought my 996 if I thought in that way having had 2 for 2 blown engines.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P38 Range Rover, The best 4x4xfar.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
joesmoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal preference would be the V8 4runner, just because I own one as well. My bro has an x5 and it could not go places 4wheeling like the 4runner, plus its a beemer, would you take it off roading and cry at the repair bills.

Just got back hunting a couple of months ago. Used a Hummer H2 and my truck. 5k worth of dmg on the hummer, while my truck followed right behind every step of the way. And we're talking some ugly 2 ft worth of mud and snow. Went up a pipeline straight up a snowy slippery road on the hummer, while my truck went down it with no probs, that i wouldn't even try the hummer going down. Used the downhill assist and away it went on its own, considering they were still the orig all season tires to boot.

Space considerations, 4runner has more cargo room than either, plus it tows my 4500lb boat with ease.

As for looks, the bmw looks nice, better the mercedes. But the 4runner looks tough. I've even got a Borla exhaust and boy does it sound nice!

Again, personal experience and choice.

Now my C4 competes with the truck when it snows
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
jjker
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an '04 4Runner as my daily driver, and it's been superb. Never an issue, just oil changes, and gas. It's not even that hard on gas. I have the V6, since I wasn't going to tow with it, and the V6 has 10 more HP than the V8 anyway (about 40 less lbs/ft though).

I can't say enough about the 4Runner. Awesome vehicle. You can't go wrong with it.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

If buying used, buy a Japanese truck. I like the styling of the 4Runner more than the Infiniti's. The German trucks are expensive to maintain once out of their service coverage periods.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

comfort and luxury: the X5 or the G500......G500 is a little to dated looking for me...came out originally in the mid '80s...but now it is a handbuild car and a real terrain verhicle.

I got an X5, and it handles like a sportscar.....you can corner it like a porsche!!...I have a 3.0i...so I can only imagine what the 8cyl 4.4i drives like....

I have driven a 4runner and to be honest..I hate Japanese cars...because they all look alike and are to plasticy to me...but the 4runner is a beast and very reliable.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

thanks for all of your input. I am actually only considering an SUV strictly as a daily driver. I currently have a toyota tacoma prerunner, but I am looking for something that I can fit 4+ cargo. I am mainly a highway driver. V8 is not necessary but I do want awd or 4wd and possibly navigation system. I dont have any plans to do any towing. I know that the 4runner would be the 'smart' decision but there are so many of them on the road...
Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
RamVA
Racer

Amongst the first three it's all personal preference. I think the G's a bad choice as a DD, just too old a design. My mom drives a '99 Lexus RX (how's that for an endorsement). It's dull to drive but a good road car and bulletproof.

I just bought an SUV last month. Since I was looking for a luxury SUV with a stick-shift, the choice was easy - '02 X5.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

For the price range you are looking at, I would buy a new Pathfinder instead. The X5 is nice, but one that is 4-5 years old means no included maintenance $ and warranty $$. I have a couple of people who own them at work. One has the 3.0L and the other the 4.4. The only typical comment I get from both is they each want the 4.8is. I've had 4-Runners, FX-35s, Xterras, Caddy SRXs and Hummer H3s as rental cars. I actually like driving the Pathfinders the best...and yes they do fine off-road (wink-wink). I've had 4 or 5 as rentals and each has driven consistantly good. The have a tighter/more driver feeling than the 4-Runner and even tighter, although not as grippy or nimble, as the FX.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 PM
ReidN
Pro

G500 hands down I have one ask me anything you want about it. It is a TANK!!! You will not find a better SUV unless you buy an H1. It will drive through buildings walls and still scream. It has every creature comfort stock. And they are no longer shipping them to the US.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:50 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmmm, I have a Range Rover AND the Infiniti FX. I like the FX - it is comfy and quick and all wheel drive. That said, I LOVE the Rover. I am sure people will get pissed, but I think it drives more like a Porsche than the Cayenne does.

If you are looking to stay under $30K, I would say the Lexus or the Infinity. However, we got the Infinity new on a one year lease for $299 per month with AWD and touring pkg. Might make more sense than $30K for a used one.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:21 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since towing and offroading are not priorities and highway driving is essential...I would skip the MB and the 4Runner (unless you are looking for the truck like ride). I can't comment on the Infinity as I haven't really ridden/driven long drives in one. Of the four you mentioned the X5 would be my choice hands down.

However, I think there may be better solutions given your criteria. Why not something like an A6 Avant (fits 4 comfortably with cargo space, has quattro, great ride, and arguably better gas mileage than anything you listed). Or an Audi Allroad? If you want the look of the SUV, what about something like the unibody Lexus RX series?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by jcalhoun
thanks for all of your input. I am actually only considering an SUV strictly as a daily driver. I currently have a toyota tacoma prerunner, but I am looking for something that I can fit 4+ cargo. I am mainly a highway driver. V8 is not necessary but I do want awd or 4wd and possibly navigation system. I dont have any plans to do any towing. I know that the 4runner would be the 'smart' decision but there are so many of them on the road...
Personally, I hate SUVs. As far as road use they are dangerous and the natural enemy to the finish of my car.

You may do better with something like the Subaru, which at least is more car-like and pretty bullet-proof. Hey, they even have a boxer engine! No, it won't scale cliffs, but 99.999% of people buying SUVs never go off the shoulder of the road, let alone serious off-roading.

However, if status is important the Subaru does not have a large wow factor. But it will be reliable and relatively inexpensive to own and drive.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

try an X5 MArv and you will change you mind....that car really drives like a sportscar...well almost!! but then again it is an SAV and not a SUV....
Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one of my favorite topics! When I moved to the US 2 years ago I bought my first SUV as family car. On the one side it's nice to ride higher than in a wagon and speed limits as well as gas prices made it unnecessary for me to get a fast wagon or sedan. However, I testdrove a lot of cars and as I just wanted to sit a little higher but keep my spirited driving style, my shortlist came down to Infiniti FX and BMW X3. The old, first generation X5 is pretty heavy and I drove a 4.4i which still felt like a truck (BTW this is also valid for Cayenne, Touareg or M class). The Infiniti is a very sporty car but pretty small when you get behind the front seats, so I bought an X3 3.0i. The price is fair as it's priced like a 3 serie but spacewise it's as large as the old X5 (a little narrower but bigger trunk) and you recognize the weight gain over the X5 immediately. X-Drive (came first on the X3, the X5 only got it 2004 forward) is the best AWD system around for streed all weather use; that's at least what Autobild's large AWD test said. I love the car and it's right, sometimes I forget that I'm not driving my 996 but harsh though turns with the X3. I recently drove the new 2nd generation X5 and it's good but handling wise not better than the X3, just heavier.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: which SUV would you buy?