996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

If i replace my instrument cluster, what happens to the mileage

Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by germanaudiotech
You don't have to replace the whole cluster. The replacement part can be found on eBay. Installing is relatively easy and it keeps the original mileage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172124641482
That's basically an ad for your business and you should be a site sponsor before posting such things.

That said, however, how did you find a source for new LCD panels? I talked to VDORepair and a couple other companies who all said they couldn't be sourced. Being the unbeliever that I am I set out to try to find a source myself and had no luck (admittedly it was a hobby level interest for me so I didn't put tons of effort into it).

Do you have the other two panels as well? Our left LCD healed itself, but I expect it will go again at some point. If new LCDs are available, however, I'd be more interested in replacing it proactively and I'd prefer to do all 3 at once while I'm in there.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
dcamco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LCD Panels can be found on ebay, but finding someone to install them is another story all together.

I decided to go the route of a used cluster and copying the code (mileage and VIN) from my old cluster. I've seen several Boxster guys do this when upgrading to a 996 unit, but unfortunately I'm having some trouble writing my mileage to the new cluster. Still working on that. I will follow up if I manage to get it figured out.

Here's the thread that gave me the idea: http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...auge-swap.html
Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

There are a few places mentioned in this thread that might help.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cd-repair.html

I bought a climate control led from them, module master, and it was not hard to replace it, just wear white gloves. Don't do it with oily bare hands and leave the protective film on until the last minute. Or you risk dead pixels and permanent finger prints some of which may cause edge contact degradation.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 PM
dcamco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I've looked through that thread, but I'm still intimidated by the soldering portion. I have very limited soldering experience and haven't done anything like this before. I'm concerned that if I DIY I will damage either the ribbon on the new LCD, or worse the board on my cluster.

This is the closest thing I've found to a decent video demonstration of the process. I would think affixing the cable to the board would be the same procedure. Jump ahead to the 6:00 mark for the relevant bits.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 PM
ACE51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that Palo Alto Speedometer will do the swap for you for ~$250-300

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If i replace my instrument cluster, what happens to the mileage