Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Car battery died, can't open doors with key.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OR JUST MAKES SURE your mechanical door lock works
Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
OR JUST MAKES SURE your mechanical door lock works
LOL...oh yeah duh....my locks work...I tried them this morning just in case.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:24 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Somwhere on this forum is a simple DIY to pop the bumper plug, attach a light line, like fishing line, to the hood release loop and tie off the other end to or near the bumper plug. (Wait, that is the DIY)

When the time comes, remove the bumper plug, pull the light line until you have the hood release loop, give it a tug and your in. No breaking your own window and claiming vandalism (could you really do that, break your own window)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Damianmartin
Buy E-Bay fob $100, take it to the dealer to have it program $70/$100, so it will still cost the more. If the fob breaks within one year, who knows about the fob warranty, but it will still cost you between $70/$100 to have the new fob re-programed.So you should find good locksmith named Locksmith Boca Raton they are commendable locksmith.

It's not that easy Damian. When you lock a 996 and the battery goes dead, the car goes into "Lock-down" mode triggered by the immobilizer module and the only way to disarm and get the car out of this state, is to have a properly matched KeyFob to disarm it. (What you want to bet the OP does not have a working key fob and only the laser cut key) The keyfob is necessary to send the correct key code sequence to the immobilizer module to get the car out of lockdown mode. Using the keyed portion in the door will give you access to the interior and allow you to turn on the car, but the alarm will sound and the car will still NOT start and you won't be able to access the Frunk. You can order new keys from Porsche, but ONLY Porsche will be able to unlock the immobilized state of the car and this may mean purchasing new alarm and immobilizer modules. It will be a lot more than the $600 per key charge. You're looking at a $3000+ fix and not every Porsche dealership can repair this problem and so the best advice to all Porsche 996 owners is clearly to own two sets of working keyfobs and always keep the car on a trickle charger during long periods of storage. I wouldn't advise people to keep the cars unlocked or the Frunk opened because of security issues, but be thankful the car has this level of security in the first place or you'd hear about more of these cars being stolen every day. Cheers!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:16 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
It's not that easy Damian.
Dude, you are trying to converse with a troll trying to advertise his own business...
Old 05-31-2016, 03:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Dude, you are trying to converse with a troll trying to advertise his own business...
Yea, you're right my friend! I'm just pissin' in the wind with this sucker. Why do I waste my time. uggg.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:15 AM
frankrodrigo
1st Gear

If door lock can't be opened by the key then call the Locksmith , they have tools to open the locks of car.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frankrodrigo
If door lock can't be opened by the key then call the Locksmith , they have tools to open the locks of car.

Enlighten us Frank. If the OP has non-working keyfob, but the laser cut key portion still won't open the door, how would a locksmith gain entree into a Porsche without breaking the window?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAC
It's simply amazing how many things can prevent you from getting in your car!
IMS, RMS, Chain tensioners, cracked heads, Rod Bolt Failure, AOS and door locks.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Enlighten us Frank. If the OP has non-working keyfob, but the laser cut key portion still won't open the door, how would a locksmith gain entree into a Porsche without breaking the window?
Secret hatch behind rear seats. All the good lock smiths know about this!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Secret hatch behind rear seats. All the good lock smiths know about this!

Hahahaha! Nice one!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 AM
lunjc
2nd Gear

Hi All,
This post is probably a bit old now but here goes. I have a right hand drive Boxster 1998. Mint condition. Battery went flat because I rarely drive it (that's why it's in mint condition Ha ha) anyway I jump started the car took it for a drive and did a basic recharge of the battery. Fitted a battery isolator to stop the battery discharging, while it's sitting in the garage. The car is reversed in the garage so the left hand side (passenger side) is parked about 8" of a brick wall. Locked the car and isolated the battery, then shut the front bonnet, thinking I can open the car with the key. Tried opening the drivers side door (right hand side) with the key and the key just turns in the lock. leaned over the boot and tried it in the passenger door and it opened with the key no problem, but I can barely open the door (6") because of the wall.
I then get a piece of 20mm tube and fix a cut down coat hanger to the end and try to open the drivers side door from the inside. Door still won't open.
I can probably trolley jack the rear of the car over enough to get into the car, but I still can't open the drivers side door to get access to the Boot/hood lever assembly in the drivers side door sill.
Any suggestions . I don't think my model has an emergency front bonnet release under the front wheel arch.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

You lock your car in a garage? Trolley jack and move may be your best option...
Old 03-03-2018, 12:51 AM
lunjc
2nd Gear

Cool Fixed the problem

Originally Posted by lunjc
Hi All,
This post is probably a bit old now but here goes. I have a right hand drive Boxster 1998. Mint condition. Battery went flat because I rarely drive it (that's why it's in mint condition Ha ha) anyway I jump started the car took it for a drive and did a basic recharge of the battery. Fitted a battery isolator to stop the battery discharging, while it's sitting in the garage. The car is reversed in the garage so the left hand side (passenger side) is parked about 8" of a brick wall. Locked the car and isolated the battery, then shut the front bonnet, thinking I can open the car with the key. Tried opening the drivers side door (right hand side) with the key and the key just turns in the lock. leaned over the boot and tried it in the passenger door and it opened with the key no problem, but I can barely open the door (6") because of the wall.
I then get a piece of 20mm tube and fix a cut down coat hanger to the end and try to open the drivers side door from the inside. Door still won't open.
I can probably trolley jack the rear of the car over enough to get into the car, but I still can't open the drivers side door to get access to the Boot/hood lever assembly in the drivers side door sill.
Any suggestions . I don't think my model has an emergency front bonnet release under the front wheel arch.
3/3/18 Update,
Trolley jacked the car away from the wall and was able to open the front boot lid with the lever, even with the door closed. All good. Guess now I should check out why the drivers door lock does not open with the key and get that sorted.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:45 AM
NioMarvin63
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When car is new, the manufacturer may have lubricated the locks with graphite. Over time graphite can gum up and lose its ability to lubricate.
Additionally, a lock can become susceptible to the elements which will eventually cause a failure, as I know at wall work repeated usage of graphite can induce a buildup inside a lock which may cause a failure.
-Use a small screwdriver to open the weather cover on the lock ( where you would insert your key).
-Spray compressed air into the lock to remove any trapped debris or loose graphite buildup.
-Spray a small amount of WD40 into the lock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!! Car battery died, can't open doors with key.