Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing a air intake

can you guys help me i have 03 996 cab ghl exhauset
Old 12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
s14roller
Racer

I have a EVO V-FLOW although no one from their company seems to like to respond to questions via thread posts or PMs...maybe cause it's only a intake and the car's not a turbo...I'm not sure. It's a small sour taste in any case...

Maybe look into the K&N and just make sure you get a dry filter. It would still cost less than the EVO system after everything is said and done.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
dallasboats
Pro

The KN assembly is a joke, their customer service is a nightmare. The product once installed, works and works well. However, it looks like it was designed by a junior technician, very crude and unfinished but it still works well.

Who wants to hear the funniest story ever??? I've got a good one and it's hard to believe KN could make so many repeated errors and continue to show arrogance.................................
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
JERSEY996
Banned

well is there a big differnce the kn is only 224 and the evo is 595
Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This ought to be good!

Originally Posted by JERSEY996
well is there a big differnce the kn is only 224 and the evo is 595
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im ready
Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
every day
Racer

I have a K&N and it works fine, $595 seems like a lot for an air intake.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While still not cheap, EVO does have a Holiday Special in progress and the intake is on the sale list.

http://www.evoms.com/evo/Pages/EVOHOLIDAYSALE2006.asp

(Standard I'm not affiliated disclaimer)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

OK $476 is better than $595 but with NO gurantee of any extra horsepower my question would be why would you want this?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
rbjbbb
Instructor

Jersey,
If you want to ease into it and get the same basic result (seat of the pants assessment and more noise), go with the schnell (cheaper) or Fabspeed intake upgrade. You get a slick red silicone hose and a blockoff for the intake muffler. I have the fabspeed version. Cost is between 125 and 225 ish.
Engine felt and sounded different. Gains are impossible to assess, of course.
Just a thought,
RB
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

rbjbbb, I agree and went with the schnell for $125 and the car does sound MUCH better, however as said no horsepower just better sound.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Ok, this was such a pain in the ***, I don't even feel like trying to summarize but here goes, I ordered the kit, removed my fabspeed, started the assembly of the KN product (assembly is overly difficult), noticed at about step 8 or 9 that a single but very specific bolt was missing that allowed the new unit to mount to the C clamp to the chassis of the KN, this bolt had special threading but otherwise looked like similar sized bolts. Once I realized this was a stopper, I noticed a few other parts down the line were missing too. I put everything away and called KN the next day. What do I get? A complete smartass on the phone, he asked what parts were missing as if it wasn't likely. I told him the bolt was easy to identify but that some of the multiples of parts missing were not because the parts list was difficult to interpret. His words, "the kit is not difficult, maybe you should get someone else more mechanical to install it." I was complaining about the instruction set and the fact the parts were not clearly identified. Anyways, once I listed off about three items, he stopped me and questioned for my receipt. He indicated it was hightly unusual to be missing so many parts and offered no apology just wanted the receipt. He then indicated he would send a new complete parts bag (there are a lot of small parts) upon receiving confirmation I'd paid for the KN unit.

Next day arrival of parts, I'm pleased until I open the new parts bag, begin to start again, and notice the first specific bolt I mentioned was missing again. All of the other parts were there. I called them back. This time spoke to a different person that was very apologetic and pleasant. She offered to overnight the missing bolt again and seemed very sincere. I told her I'd go to the local Autozone and try to buy the bolt myself as I was tired of having my car disassembled. I found the bolt with the special threading that finally allowed the C clamp to be mounted.

The rest of the kit was a joke, use this piece of metal hangar here, drill this hole, hang another piece of cheap metal, etc. The overall impression of the kit is, it works and it works better than the fabspeed. It has a bunch of unfinished parts and the assembley is overly complicated but I still like the results. KN, I have no idea how they survive with service such as that. The tech, I hope he get's some manners before he insults others, I'm still in disbelief he insulted my intelligence and then was wrong again. What a JOKE>

Oh yea, forgot to mention, I'm an ex process engineer..........................
Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

Everytime I am about to order the K&N kit I read another post like this and put it off.. again! Maybe in the spring...hmm.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

did you get the full cai...? any noticable gain in hp at all?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:28 PM
JERSEY996
Banned

dont want change the topic but this is my first p-car my shocks and springs are so hard is this normall or is there a problem with my car its 03 996 cab 49k help help!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: need help choosing a air intake