Sponsored by:

Help!! leaking antifreeze badly

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!! leaking antifreeze badly

I just got home from the local automated car wash and when I got in the driveway there is a stream of green running right behind the drivers side radiator in the front. What can I do? I have taken the Boxster there several times without incident. I have taken the 911 there 2x without incident?

Anyone else ever have this problem? The local indy hsop isn't open until monday? I will need to refill the antifreeze with store bought for the drive? Or does it need to be towed?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 04:31 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its leaking bad i wouldnt drive far, you can fill up with plain water if your going to drive then you dont mix coolant. Is there damage to the bumper as well ? YOu may need to call your insurance company
Old 11-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Thanks 99, it is leaking badly. My girlfriend (attorney) is down at the car wash now. It is the side where they drive the tire between the 2 rails. There are some scrapes under the bumper but hard to tell if old or fresh. The leak looks like its coming right behind the radiator. but I can't squeeze far enough under there to see if they severed the hose or damaged the radiator.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:43 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

likely the radiaotr the hoses are tucked pretty far up there
Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the car wash did any damage related to that.
It's probably just coincidence.
Maybe just look to see if there are any loose clamps you can tighten, before adding water for a temp drive.
If your mechanic is too far away, like 20 miles or more, I wouldn't risk driving it
as you say it's leaking bad.

Mine leaked at the rear end before and I was nervous about driving 9 miles home!
I towed it, $100 and peace of mind.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:06 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If most of your fluid leaked out don't refill it with straight water unless you plan to drain it as soon as you get home. The overnight ambient air temperature in most of CT this weekend is well below freezing and you can end up with some serious engine problems when the water freezes and then expands. This has happened with cupcars filled with straight water in warmer climates and then shipped across country.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Ok Guys,

Thanks alot for your help. But you would not believe that some freak kind of incident happened: a huge amount of green cleaning fluid was trapped in the front of the car and was consequently pouring out underneath the car right behind the drivers radiator after leaving the wash and driving a bit over 5 minutes home. I have never actually dealt with the coolant but when I opened the hood to see the level, the coolant is yellow. I didn't think to smell it as there was an active leak at the radiator and a trail down the driveway and down the street.

I have been to this car wash many times with the boxster and this or anything remotely like it hasn't happened. The guy at the car wash said it happens once in awhile. On a normal car it would not have collected or leaked from exactly where the radiatoer is located. He said that there was a couple times he had calls about possible leaks from Porsche owners, but it is pretty rare for the cleaning fluid to build up so much.
BUt OMG you had to see it streaming, like at least half a gallon under the front tire in my driveway.

One word PHEW!~!!! (is that a word?)

I was never so happy to be wrong.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

galeriehughie, Aren't you a Teaser!

Quick Reply: Help!! leaking antifreeze badly