996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New to Pcars, looking to buy!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:47 PM
BennyBlown2v
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Pcars, looking to buy!

Hey hows it going! Currently I'm sporting a supercharged 04 mustang gt w/ full race suspension and a buncha other crap that isn't worth anything in the resale market Anyway, I'm looking to buy a Porsche in the near future! I've sort of narrowed it down to either a 99-01 C2 coupe, or a 993 C2/C4. I've found one car that I'm particularly interested in as it is 100% mint, has no obvious mechanical flaws, and seems to run like a champ -

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...5000&cardist=5

Is this asking price a bit too much for the mileage? What is the lowest I should start at, taking into mind that this is a dealer?

BTW, i just want to say that I had NEVER driven a car which leaves me speechless such as the 911 I drove just last Saturday. I've driven some higher horsepower cars (Mustang has 510bhp) and cars that supposedly "handle"...yet nothing comes close to just the "feel" of a 911! I'm hooked already, and I don't even have a set of keys ........... yet
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome - for the HP you are used to, are you sure you shouldn't be looking for a turbo? Nice looking coupe - but for that mileage, I would recommend a warranty to protect yourself, and of course a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) before buying. I would be curious to know what kind of warranty is included as the ad states "includes warranty." Maybe the balance of CPO? Either way, I think that around $30K would be closer for that many miles, but the others here are much more qualified to speak about pricing than I am. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 PM
porschepwr
1st Gear

that car is really clean. But the price seems kind of steap for the mileage. Look around some more. I agree, shouldnt you be looking at turbo cars. Maybe consider an older one.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
teutoniclove
Intermediate

Having just bought a C4, pricing is pretty fresh in my mind. I think for the mileage you should be right around 30k for a C2 (according to CarFax). The service contract was issued on 1/29/05. Wonder what is going on there.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
BennyBlown2v
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick replies guys! The warranty is a 12month/12,000miles - engine covereage is pretty much complete (listed as all lubricated parts, and basically anything that moves and is exposed to heat), as well as transmission (aside from clutch), suspension is fully covered, interior, and a few of the major accessories such as alternator, etc.

The dealer which has the car now is a Lexus dealer (see link) but right across the street is the same companies Porsche dealer - so if I was to buy that particular car I would have it driven across the street and inspected, and perhaps buy an extended warranty (depending on how much they want for it).

A turbo would be great, but I doubt I'll be able to find any in that price range. 993 turbo's go for what, 50k-60k MINIMUM?

Mainly I want a sporty, refined, and most notably Porsche semi-daily driver - speed isn't that important to me, and if I get the itch I'll get a project car or perhaps supercharge my future Porsche HAH. Going with a 996, or later model 993 would be ideal for me due to the "new" car quality, available warranty, and no need for restoration/repairs. I really like the interior of the 996 over the 993's (though the 993 turbo's I've seen can be quite nice), and as far as exterior goes they are pretty much even in my mind.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:00 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome, I think you will be really happy with a Carrera C2. They have enough power to be enjoyable and a good chassis that will let you have fun exploring its limits. As you already know in certain situations all the power you have is still never enough so I don't even worry about it with the P car and enjoy it for what it is. As a former motorcycle roadracer I piloted some pretty fast machinery and after a while you realize its fruitless to get anything real fast for the street as you can't go fast enough there to get excited compared to a track. Iv'e been told that my'99 996 Cabriolet is heavier and slighty less rigid than a coupe and won't handle quite as well but I still manage to scare the bejesus out of a lot of my passengers without even trying or pushing the car that hard. You will love the Porsche and will look at it as a whole package where it nearly excels in every area. I am exceedingly happy with my '99 and am entering my 4th year of ownership. I don't think I would be any happier with a brand new 997.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

you can probably get them down another 2K. looks like a nice car. if you can swing it, try to get a '02+ car. has a little more power and has slightly better interior quality and the updated headlights. be sure to get an extended warranty ... beyond the 1 year warranty the dealership offers.

you will love the c2. don't bother with a c4 unless you drive a lot in inclement weather. it's just too heavy for the amount of power.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

4700 miles without resetting the trip meter? What kind of driver does that?

Car looks good otherwise ...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would look for the 2002+, but if this one is the one you really want I would go with 29k offer and see if they bite.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Pcars, looking to buy!