Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Why cut out the cap? Why not just remove the cap? That's what my muffler guy did. The cap is welded on...so remove the welds and that exposes the entire diameter.
I'll have to ask him why, I get mine back today and will install it later today or tonight.
My bolts are so rusted that I have to dremel them off, I did the left side so far and that took about and hour to cut two bolts off and replaced them with two new ones.

There is a large layer of rust between the bolt and nut. What a pain but when I get the 3.6 mod done it will all be worth it.

I tried driving the car with no muffler but holy crap that is way to loud for where I live. I think my communist community would sue me if I left them off

Last edited by evansaero; 02-15-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:01 AM
ML
Instructor

Just curious, has anyone located in or near Toronto done that. Looking for a shop that has done it before.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 PM
evansaero
Pro

Finished the mod... I need a shower

It took 5 hours 2 dremels and 6 new bolts 5 cutting wheels and about a year off my life.

My orginal dremel almost caught on fire after cutting off 3 bolts with a cutting wheel.
What a pain in the *** the bolts were rusted so bad I had no choice and I didn't feel like leaving the car at the muffler shop all day. The shop charged $70 for the 3.6 Mod

Just cutting the 4 bolts took more than 3 hours and the crap I inhaled I think I have black lung now. Yes I did try wearing a mask but it would fog up the safety glasses which was a must.

All bitching aside though...

2nd best mod I have done to date. SSK is still #1

It's just perfect. It's just perfect for me. Like other's have said there is no drone and when cruising it sound close to stock which is nice because I like the radio for long road trips, but loud as hell when you step on it

Last edited by evansaero; 02-16-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
jlx
Intermediate

well done..
70 bucks is cheap as the ss pipe alone cost me about 35
Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOOOOK! Who else has some 3.6 stock mufflers laying around??? I'm serious. I want to try this for myself. Perhaps I need to go to a dismantler.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rroobbcc
OOOOOK! Who else has some 3.6 stock mufflers laying around??? I'm serious. I want to try this for myself. Perhaps I need to go to a dismantler.
Rob - I have some 3.4L mufflers that have already been modified that you can have.

You could do the MK I (J-pipe) mod in addition to the existing MK II mod. I don't know how much that would "improve" the sound, but I would imagine that the sound would be louder since the air in the J-pipe would never get to the muffler. It would go directly from the the inlet pipe connected to the cats to the outlet pipe holding the tips.

If you don't find any 3.6L mufflers, these are yours for free if you pay the shipping costs.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by evansaero
Finished the mod... I need a shower

It took 5 hours 2 dremels and 6 new bolts 5 cutting wheels and about a year off my life.

My orginal dremel almost caught on fire after cutting off 3 bolts with a cutting wheel.
What a pain in the *** the bolts were rusted so bad I had no choice and I didn't feel like leaving the car at the muffler shop all day. The shop charged $70 for the 3.6 Mod

Just cutting the 4 bolts took more than 3 hours and the crap I inhaled I think I have black lung now. Yes I did try wearing a mask but it would fog up the safety glasses which was a must.

All bitching aside though...

2nd best mod I have done to date. SSK is still #1

It's just perfect. It's just perfect for me. Like other's have said there is no drone and when cruising it sound close to stock which is nice because I like the radio for long road trips, but loud as hell when you step on it

Congrats. My bolts were rusted too. Luckily, it was on a lift and my friend had the tools.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
evansaero
Pro

Video of 3.6 Mod
Old 02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Aaron - Thanks for posting the clip. I was asked to do the same in a PM, but now I don't have to do so. (That's a good thing, 'cuz I don't know how to do that anyway. )

Your "cans" sound great! That is exactly how my 3.6L "cans" (MK II PSE mod) sound, too.

I noticedd tot he right of yor clip on the site, there are two Porsche exhaust clips, "before" and "after" PSE, which were obviously shot in Europe. Those are a nice "before" and "after" sound comparison. Your clip sounds closer to the post PSE clip.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

YEP, I'm glad mine sounds the same also! blurb blurb blurb
Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
Aaron - Thanks for posting the clip. I was asked to do the same in a PM, but now I don't have to do so. (That's a good thing, 'cuz I don't know how to do that anyway. )

Your "cans" sound great! That is exactly how my 3.6L "cans" (MK II PSE mod) sound, too.

I noticedd tot he right of yor clip on the site, there are two Porsche exhaust clips, "before" and "after" PSE, which were obviously shot in Europe. Those are a nice "before" and "after" sound comparison. Your clip sounds closer to the post PSE clip.
No Prob... Took all of 20 mins to shot and edit

I thought it would be good to get back to the basics. Video is soooo much easier to understand.

I now plan on using more video. I just suck at spelling and it takes longer to spell check my words than to shoot crappy video.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 355 Posts

O.k. So I picked up some 3.6 liter cans yesterday and I'm going to try this mod. I have two questions though: is the consensus that a 2.25 inch bypass pipe is the way to go as oppossed to 2 inches (which is apparently the diamter of a true pse set up)? Second, will my exhaust tips that were on my 3.4 liter cans work on the 3.6 cans? I've heard that the 3.6 tips won't fit the 3.4 liter cans, but want to know if the opposite is true (i.e., whether the 3.4 tips can be fitted on the 3.6 liter cans). Thanks, Ill report my results after I'm through. Scott.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
O.k. So I picked up some 3.6 liter cans yesterday and I'm going to try this mod. I have two questions though: is the consensus that a 2.25 inch bypass pipe is the way to go as oppossed to 2 inches (which is apparently the diamter of a true pse set up)? Second, will my exhaust tips that were on my 3.4 liter cans work on the 3.6 cans? I've heard that the 3.6 tips won't fit the 3.4 liter cans, but want to know if the opposite is true (i.e., whether the 3.4 tips can be fitted on the 3.6 liter cans). Thanks, Ill report my results after I'm through. Scott.
I went with 2.25 inch pipe. I'm very happy. I think the diamter of the new opening will make the biggest difference. My muffler guy did not open it up to 2.25 but more like 1.25 He said that he could only cut it open. Now others say they have had the entire cap removed.

Yes the tips will fit

Last edited by evansaero; 02-19-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
jlx
Intermediate

easiest and neatest way is to get a hole saw bit and put it on a cordless drill, you can easily drill within the recess of the cap to 1.5 inches, up to 2 1/8 if you drill through the raised outer lip of the cap. cutting the entire cap at the welds appears to leave a hole over 2 1/4 inches . i did 1.5 but will be doing another closer to 2 inches. the other hole (on the outlet pipe) ends up being elongated and thus can be much larger..perhaps 2 overlapping holes there are easiest. 2" pipe & 1.5" holes is awesome but i want just a tad more volume..personal taste and all.
above measurements just taken off an 02 can.

Last edited by jlx; 02-19-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
Did you run over a body at the 1:10 mark?

Great job on the video. Not exaclty PSE sound but pretty close.

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?