996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cool Garage Door Opener Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
fw2001c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those of us with pre 02, targa switch isnt an option as it only comes with matte fininsh. pre 02s come with glossy finish so the switch would look out of place. ive been deseparate for a solution and this looks good and reasonably priced. just priced out switch from sunset and transmitter from a web vendor and we're already at $50. so plantraco, i dont think you overpaid.

as an aside, this guy on ebay sells the switch alone for 47... not sure why when sunset charges 18.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

pre-facelift cars that have the matte finish buttons can make the button shiny by simply applying a gloss finish. It has been done before and posted. Do a search.

Remember.......where there is a will there is a Rennlister that will find a way
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

I dont think there's two button, I think he meant you will have two door lock buttons. One for the real door lock and the other for the garage.

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
plantraco, where is the transmitter installed?
And why is there the need for 2 buttons?
I thought the garage door is operated with one single button,
push once to open/close...push again to do the opposite.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by signal
I wonder if someone has a hack like this for the "gate", you know like your gate remote for your community. Garage and Gate are the two remotes I cary...........ahh the joys of homelink

I think you could get 2 of them - there are many extra spots to put switches on the dash.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:17 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by redduck996
I dont think there's two button, I think he meant you will have two door lock buttons. One for the real door lock and the other for the garage.

Yep, correct. You are adding another button to the dashboard and removing one of the inert filler plugs - your choice where you want to put it. This install has nothing to do with your original door lock button.

The button is wired into an included remote that you put inside the dash.

I was concerned that it would bounce around and rattle, but it does not rattle so far, and if it does, I just have to open it up again and zip tie it down somewhere.

The remote runs off battery, I wouldn't want to wire it into the car electrical system.

It's true, you do get the end result of having 2 "key" icons on the buttons of your dash, but that didn't bother me - I know what it does. I guess if you really want to you could change that button to another icon picture with a little effort. I saw the picture of the targa lift button, and I guess it's just personal taste about the icon picture on the button. I'd take either.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by plantraco
It took me about 2 minutes to install, and 1 minute to reprogram to my garage door.

.... The price was a bit high, but I thought it was worth it because the fit is perfect and doesn't junk up the car in any way and is totally reversible installation.
If you don't wish to alter the appearance of your car at all; or don't wish to spend a cent, or even if you don't have a spare switch slot in your dash ....

you can simply wire your garage door opener to function each time you pull on your "flash to pass" lever. A bonus is that you never again have to replace your opener battery, as it now uses 12v from the car.

Its a great hack that I found on the net early in my 996 life.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
If you don't wish to alter the appearance of your car at all; or don't wish to spend a cent, or even if you don't have a spare switch slot in your dash ....

you can simply wire your garage door opener to function each time you pull on your "flash to pass" lever. A bonus is that you never again have to replace your opener battery, as it now uses 12v from the car.

There's a company that sells a product that does this "flash to open" idea. I guess it has enough logic to pick up an induced current as a signal when there's a momentary blip of the high beams?
There's so many "blanks" on the dash ... I think I'll put the Targa switch in just to fill up some of those damn blanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

Hmmm very interesting... Is there a DIY on this forum?

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab

Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
Hmmm very interesting... Is there a DIY on this forum?

For Garage Door Openers click here

Yes?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
fw2001c4
Advanced

lvdell... i would opt to do the targa switch if i felt that it would give it a seamless look. while im not averse to "glossing " the matte button, im not quite sure how the end result will be.

i tried searching here but came up zip. tried other sites, zip. do you know of a post?

has anyone tried lacquering it and what has been your experience?

thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you try Renntech.org?

I don't know of the exact thread(s) off hand but it has been discussed by those that have done it.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Mitty
Racer

Kirby's DIY helped with my install. I opted to wire 12v to the battery connector too.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fw2001c4
lvdell... i would opt to do the targa switch if i felt that it would give it a seamless look. while im not averse to "glossing " the matte button, im not quite sure how the end result will be.

i tried searching here but came up zip. tried other sites, zip. do you know of a post?

has anyone tried lacquering it and what has been your experience?

thanks.
Here is a similar thread started by OE. Check out posts #6 & #7, which show examples of the matte button sprayed with gloss. In post #8, the another guy said to do 3 to 4 light coats. BTW - I did a search on gloss to find this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=gloss
Old 09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
fw2001c4
Advanced

thanks tim.

i dont recall what combo i tried but gloss/button was def one of them. never thought to try gloss solo... i knew that it would give me 10 pages of threads on the exterior and waxing.... but you are my hero.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

please help.. i dont have the schematics for the headlight/hi-beam wires. would anyone happen to know the color of the flash beams for an 03 c2?

I was digging around last night and was able to get to behind the carper and lights. I dont have to disassemble the headlight unit right?

tia

Quick Reply: Cool Garage Door Opener Switch