Roadrip pics including 2007 Porsche Commercial Shoot

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
thewump
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadrip pics including 2007 Porsche Commercial Shoot

So...

4500 miles, no tickets, no breakdowns, no accidents.

I set off from Denver for a conference in San Diego with plenty of time to explore on the way, and glad I did. Got sick of highways just the other side of the rockies and pretty much avoided them for the following 4200 miles! Cruise control at 80/85 on highways is soooo boring.. much more fun doing 75 / 80 on the backroads where you have to actually DRIVE.

MAN there are some nice roads out there.. Driving through the heart of Utah and Arizona ( Moab, Bluff and down round the lower tip of the Grand Canyon ) is an incredible journey, as is snaking down the California / Nevada and CA / Arizona borders on the back roads.

After the conference I headed up and down Pacific Coast Highway, but was actually disappointed with that due to cold and cloudy weather, and the fact that if you are from Ireland, which I am, the coastline really isn't that dramatic. Headed home via Arizona, New Mexico and up through the rockies.

I had some magic moments, and very glad I didn't get caught having them as no doubt I would have ended up in jail. Driving through the desert at sunset top down was a blast, and the drive into Julian CA was a nutty series of twists and turns - and probably glad it was dark so I didn't see where I would go if I screwed up.

Probably the most fun was overtaking. These cars are just born to go from 70/80 to 100/110 quicky. Also astonished by the grip of my C4.

It got interesting in Julian when I bumped into some guys who were going to be part of the 2007 Porsche commercial shoot the next day. When I went back to my hotel I found the lot full of nice P cars.

The following day, the police had closed off part of the road for the shoot, but being in a Porsche I managed to sail through and spend some time watching before the director kicked me out ;-)

A few photos of those cars at the link below, but none that someone driving past couldn't have taken in respect for the directors wishes to have privacy about his shooting setup.

Check out a few of the trip photos here:

http://family.webshots.com/album/554208456jYRTYR

Mileage was pretty good.. I averaged 25.6 mpg for the whole trip for which I was pleasantly suprised.

Worst part of the trip was deciding to drive through Malibu on Labor Day weekend. Nightmare, although was pretty funny being in line with 2 Mercs and a Bently at the Jack In The Box drivethrough!

Keith
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Great story, thanks for sharing. We made the drive from LA to Durango a couple of years ago, and it was through 400 miles of Arizona HELL desert - wow. I'm glad you found some back roads.

They shoot a lot of commercials in and around Julian - it's a great area with great roads.

PS - Love the cowboy hat!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM
thewump
Instructor

It was sure as hell hot. I'm CONVINCED that I got sunburn through the convertible top!

Keith

Quick Reply: Roadrip pics including 2007 Porsche Commercial Shoot