Sponsored by:

Need some good back roads - Houston

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need some good back roads - Houston

I finally have my car back with new engine. So far it is great. Maybe it was having to drive a Pontiac for a month, but the new engine seems much smoother and more powerful than the old one. Anyway, I am in Houston and looking for some good back roads to take a nice drive perhaps Satruday morning. I live in mid town so something that is out of town a bit is fine, but not too far out. Any recommendations would be great.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a native Houstonian (in Sugar Land) and I don't know of any backroads in Houston that can challenge a Porsche. There are some two-lane farm roads down past Victoria and Richmond, but they're mostly long stretches of pavement. I'd head up 3 hours northwest to Austin hill country instead. They got some roads that'll give the 911 a great workout! You can then unwind on 6th Street after you're done.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Taking it Austin next weekend for the football game. I'll test those out. I was really looking for roads that are simply out of the way and unpopulated on a Saturday morning this weekend. They do not have to have any great twisties or provide any real test. any suggestions there? I have lived in Houston 11 years now, but I have lived inside the loop the entire time. I know my way around the city realy well, but never get out and see the backroads areas outside the city much.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
gnossos
2nd Gear

One of my favorites:

From Austin take 71 towards Llano. Left on RR 16, cruise by Enchanted Rock state park and hit Fredricksburg on the way back for german pastries and coffee (at the Olde German Bakery). Then take 290 back to town. Good times.

Not sure about Houston, I used to hit some farm roads outside of Spring many years ago but those areas are probably developed now.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:21 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few:

1. FM 1458 from Pattison (North of Brookshire off I-10) to San Felipe. Curves and elevation changes. Not very long.

2. The back roads around New Ulm, Frelsburg, and Fayetteville, all north of Columbus. 109, 1291, 159, etc. Not all that curvy, but scenic and pleasant.

3. Northeast of Hempstead. 1488, 362.

4. North of Montgomery. 149 to Richards, Anderson and 3090 into Navasota.

5. North of Brenham 105, 50, then west on 390. 1948 in the area is nice too.

6. Chappell Hill (Off 290), 1155, 105, 390 to Independence.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, on the subject of good roads, I've been searching for some in Eastern PA if anyone knows any.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I finally have my car back with new engine. So far it is great. Maybe it was having to drive a Pontiac for a month, but the new engine seems much smoother and more powerful than the old one. Anyway, I am in Houston and looking for some good back roads to take a nice drive perhaps Satruday morning. I live in mid town so something that is out of town a bit is fine, but not too far out. Any recommendations would be great.
BTW, congrats on the new engine - I should imagine that feels good to have back.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
BonB

I get out most every weekend & do 100-200 miles at least one day if not both.
I am an ex sportbike rider that used to love dragging knees so I know several
good routes. I put 65,000 miles on one of my bikes in 4 years.
I bought the P-car to replace the bikes to get my "need for speed" fix, after my last wreck.
I see you live midtown, all of my roads are in the Conroe or Montgomery areas.
You wont find any decent roads closer to you than this...I live in Spring so it's
not such a big deal for me....20-25 miles & I am hitting the twisties.

Let me know if you want to hook up some weekend, I am bad on giving directions & dont really even know the names/numbers of the roads, I just
drive them.

- Cam
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DCP
Here are a few:

4. North of Montgomery. 149 to Richards, Anderson and 3090 into Navasota.
Hard to beat this route short of going to the Hill country!!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Cam,
Thanks for the information. That would be cool to hook up sometime and go for a drive. I'll let you know sometime when I am planning on going up in your area, and we'll do it. Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Maybe we could get a small group together, or maybe just us.
I led a Breakfast run about 6 months ago that a friend & I organized on Pelican.
There were about 5 others that went along, had a good time.
I've led dozens of groups on bikes.

I get out on my own every weekend.............
Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I'm in!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Reading this thread opened up my eyes. I have lived in Salt Lake City at the base of some great mountains most of my life and it didn't occur to me that a lot of people don't have endless twisties with 1000s of feet of elevation changes less than 5 minutes from home. Hummm...maybe all the quirkyness of living here is ok afterall :-)
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nick49
Reading this thread opened up my eyes. I have lived in Salt Lake City at the base of some great mountains most of my life and it didn't occur to me that a lot of people don't have endless twisties with 1000s of feet of elevation changes less than 5 minutes from home. Hummm...maybe all the quirkyness of living here is ok afterall :-)
Nick,
I am envious that you live in SLC. We go out there every year for a week or so to ski right after the holidays, but before Sundance. I love SLC, and I really love Park City in particular. I would move there in a minute if I could. I think when I reitre I am going to see if I can get a gig out there as a ski instructor. Enjoy man because I would love to live there.

Quick Reply: Need some good back roads - Houston