996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need HEEELP! Please...

Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need HEEELP! Please...

I am having alignment problems with my Cayman S. About 3 weeks ago, I took the car to my race shop to get it aligned. We got the camber and toe settings as we wanted on the car; however, as I picked up the car from the shop and drove off, within few miles, I noticed that the alignment was off, feeling as if it was going sideways and the rear toe being quite off.

About a week later, I schedule another time slot with the shop to correct the issue. They found that somehow, rear toe, as suspected, was way off. One side +0.1x and other -0.1x. So, one side had toe in and the other had toe out, hence the side ways feeling. Picked up the car towards the end of the day, I drove off, and the same thing.

Couple of days later, last Friday, I took the car in, stayed there and made sure the process was followed properly. I have to state that my race shop has some of the best techs in the area and they truly now what their doing. Nevertheless, I wanted to make sure everything was done by the book (I have done more than few dozen alignments myself on various cars). When we put the car on the alignment machine, we observed that this third time we had rear toe out/in situation like the previos times. We did the alignment, re-verified by going back and forth between the front and the rear camber/toe adjustments, making sure everything were as symetric as they can by to the 1/100th of a degree and that all bolts were properly torque and so forth. Confident of the process, I drove off..... I can't believe it, THE SAME THING!

So, today, owner of the shop called the manufacturer of the alignment machine and the techs came in, I went down with car and we started to whole process again a 4th time. Between 9:30 am and 6 pm, the car got aligned probably 12-14 times, each time narrowing down the possible issues. And between each alignment, we drove the car on the road for couple miles for the suspension to settle down. Alas, no luck, rear and front toe changes from alignment to alignment, we are not getting consistent numbers at all, and the car is still side ways, much more subtle though at this time.

The only things we have been able to rule out were that the machine is calibrated properly and there are no problems with the software. We aligned and verified a different car on the same machine and the numbers stayed the same to the 1/100th of degree.

So, now I am and they are at a loss; we do not know what the problem might be. If anyone experienced something similar, I would really would like to hear about it, or any information you guys can share would be great.

Some facts:

I really appreciate some help, I am at a loss what to even try at this time.

Thank you in advance,

FT
                  Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
                  LVDell
                  Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Curious why (1) you haven't taken this to the dealer (2) or posted this question to the Cayman board.

you have hit every forum BUT your your own. 996,997,986,Racing but no Cayman. Confused on that one.
                  Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
                  Livefreeandrive
                  Addict
                  Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WTF.................................???
                  Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
                  an02boxster
                  Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It HAS to be under warranty????
                  Old 07-27-2006, 12:31 AM
                  FTS
                  Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, I thought I posted it in the Cayman forum, but apparently I forgot. I did post it in Caymanclub.net however. I think the 996/997 forums are more informative as there are more of them for longer period of time, hence ppl have more experiences with these sort of things. The suspension of CS is the same with that of 996 and 997 with minor difference, so I thought I would try.

My next step is the dealer, I just want to there with all the information I can possibly have to be able to better understand their information.

Yes, it is under warranty.

Thank you very much for your responses.

FT

Search this Thread
                  Quick Reply: Need HEEELP! Please...