Sponsored by:

Buying from a PO vs car dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Never having sold my prior cars privately, I have a question for y'all. For arguments sake, lets say I want to upgrade Nov 2007.

What do you guys think is a reasonable time period to try and sell the old car before it has to go as a trade in for the new car? Start trying to sell 3 months earlier, like Aug? Sooner? Later?
can u save tax on trade-in?
if yes, i would say trade-in may be better.
in general, spring and early fall are "active" season, depending on where u live. (summer too hot, winter too cold, etc.)

i would start by posting some ads on pca magzine and excellce in june.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Never having sold my prior cars privately, I have a question for y'all. For arguments sake, lets say I want to upgrade Nov 2007.

What do you guys think is a reasonable time period to try and sell the old car before it has to go as a trade in for the new car? Start trying to sell 3 months earlier, like Aug? Sooner? Later?
I called on my S2 saturday night and it was listed only one day in sunday's NY times.

I called on both of my brothers 944s about fifteen minutes after they were posted.

I was the first person to look at each of those three cars.

On the other hand there were cars I passed on that were listed for months.

I bought my miata without a picture, 240 miles from where i live with just a phone conversation and it wasnt listed anywhere. I stumbled on it in a post on the miata forum.

my first S2 was from a dealer, and i didnt realize he had it for about a month and another rennlister passed on it without looking at it (he was hours away from it, i was minutes away).

we looked at a 99 996 that seemed perfect last weekend. perfect until i looked at the car in person. we will probably pass on it since it is not perfect enough for my standards. turns out carfax says it has been for sale since december - private party.

we looked at a 01 996 that seemed perfect monday night. mintutes from my brothers office, a half hour from my house. it is perfect. now if only we can get the seller down from 40k.

Bottom line, the good ones dont last.

Quick Reply: Buying from a PO vs car dealer