996 VS Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 PM
P7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 VS Acura NSX

Hi - my first post here and really interested in getting a 911

I narrowed down my choices to only two cars - they are an Acura NSX or a 2002 996 carrera 2 - I am somehow familiar with the NSX but not the 911

I am looking for comments from people who really know both cars and/or compared them (or maybe owned both) as it is a very tough decision for me to make

I know the NSX is a very reliable sports car as it is a Honda - but I don't know anything about porsches and when I test drove one, I fell in love - same as the NSX - it is such a difficult decision to make !!!!!!!!

any comments on that subject will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmmm - kind of like apples and oranges, but I will give it my shot. Everyone I know has been able to (quickly) classify themselves as a german-car guy or a japanese-car guy. I have a friend who thought his 996 was "too bumpy" and sold it in 3 months. However, I own both a P-car and a Lexus, and I find the Lexus a little too refined for me.

If you are concerned about gas mileage, maintenance, or repairs, the Acura is probably the way to go. If you like the German feel, the flat-6 sound, and the tight steering, the Porsche is the way to go.

Both have about equal utility in my mind.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven a friends NSX, so my knowledge is limited. The NSX is a great handling car and fun to drive, but it does not have that "german" car feel. The steering and chasis while refines is some what has a lack of character in it. The engine is very reliable, but lacks some of the 996 lower end punch. It really depends on what you like. Yes there is more maintenance on a Porsche, but its the feel of a Porsche that is something that is hard to duplicate.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

I have both and love them. My C4S is the daily driver and currently has around 43k miles. It has proven itself to be fairly bulletproof with only an occassional oil leak bothering me, no big deal so far. The NSX, however, HAS been bulletproof. Not really fair since it only has 13k miles. It is my baby and after all these years, I still love it. No squeaks or rattles still. I will never sell my NSX.

As a daily driver, the 911 will suit you better. the back seats, although, virtually useless for adults, can accomodate more gear and, occassionally, my son. They are totally different cars. The NSX, with it's seating position, mid-engine design, and low cowl is a very different experience from most cars I've driven.

So, what I'm really getting at is, I don't know . Obviously, if I still have both, I can't decide. I know I love them both. They both suit a different part of my driving fancy. Good luck with your choice and let me know if you need more help. I'll do what I can.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:35 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've raced both professionally in the same series and used both as a daily driver. Whats your intended use and I'll give you the pluses and minuses of each.

Once you're done here, go over to NSXPrime.com and ask for their opinion as well. Here you'll get posts biased towards the 996 (what do you expect, its a Porsche board), and there you will get posts biased towards the NSX (conversely, its an NSX board).
Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive owned both so here are my $0.02.
I had a 95 NSX-T in Red, ive now got a C4 Cab in Seal Grey
I made the switch as i need the back seats for my young son.
The NSX seemed to be faster in a straight line off the lights and certainly sounded faster (until i got the PSE installed that is ). The C4 makes me want to look for clear on ramps and corners to accellerate thru.
The NSX held it value VERY well. I purchased it for $50k, and sold 5 years later for $39k.
Reliability... well the NSX had a coil pack fail and i had to have the cam end and gallery plugs replaced as they started leaking (possibly as i didnt use it enough?)
The C4 had the MAF fail only so far.
Tires... well they both tear them up... the NSX slightly worse than the C4. 5000 miles on the rear Yoko's... i got about 6000 in the C4 pirelli's
I was always nervous to drive the NSX... i didnt like to park it near other cars. Perhaps the Aluminum panels worried me about dents etc. I dont feel nearly as worried about the C4 and drive it every day.
They are both great cars, but for me its was all about those "useless" back seats.
Oh, one other thing... the wife hated the NSX... too flashy. She thought it looked like the corvette poster on a school kids bedroom wall... the Porsche is way more classy and stylish in her opinion
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

NSX starts to look outdated. New model coming soon. Take into account that the NSX bodystyle will not be as timeless as the 911's. OK handler but underpowered. Kind of a super ricer
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Neighbor
Instructor

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
NSX starts to look outdated. New model coming soon. Take into account that the NSX bodystyle will not be as timeless as the 911's. OK handler but underpowered. Kind of a super ricer

Timelessness is subjective. The design has been around for 15 years.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM
djantlive
Drifting

of the two, i chose 996. nsx is my fav japanese cars but it's too young for me. i want something more mature, practical. the nsx gets looks from kids and teens where as 996 gets looks from every one. the driving experience in nsx is lower, more nimble and tossible. the 996 sits higher, doesn't feel corner as well but it can be if driven well. 996 is more luxurious and updated in technology. it's also safer.

996 appeals to a wider audience. nsx will remain as a childhood dream car that if i owned, i would never sell.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

996 classy..NSX flashy... and it is a Honda for crying out loud!!! Yeah yeah an Acura (it's the same) ...Toyota and Lexus...same same..... japanese cars, while they are technicaly superior lack all character!! Just me 2 cents!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I've owned both. Enjoyed both. The NSX is the more exotic sports car, imo. I also think it's much better engineered than the 996.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the NSX. You can always get a Porsche later -- they're everywhere!

It might not matter to you but the NSX will depreciate much less than the 996 (jmo).

And as for "character" and "soul", the last 911 that had these mystical qualities was the 993!

Last edited by YA911Fan; 06-14-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
And as for "character" and "soul", the last 911 that had these mystical qualities was the 993!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Yes, but it is too bad that the soul of the 993 weighed more than any other 911, including the soulless 996s and 997s, and is slower to boot.

I guess you could say that the 993 has the soul and character of an ugly chick in a supermodel body!

for those of you who are humor challenged, I am just joking around. I like the 993 too, but get tired of all the "last real Porsche" rants . . .

Last edited by TD in DC; 06-14-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Neighbor
Instructor

I've never quite understood the term "character" in cars. A Lotus Elise certainly has character (although here in the States, it uses a Toyota engine). Does a Honda S2000? I don't really understand. Does character have involve money. hmmm. I'd say my 1969 Mercedes Convertible has character. Some might argue it doesn't. Is character subjective also? Don't get me wrong, after 43k miles in my Porsche, I'd say it has character. Most people would say that no Lexus has character. Does character mean you have to put up with compromises, qwerks, cost, or is it low production numbers? Car magazines use this term also. Ah heck, maybe I don't have character.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
P7
Advanced

[QUOTE=BBailey]I've raced both professionally in the same series and used both as a daily driver. Whats your intended use and I'll give you the pluses and minuses of each.

Thank you all for the replies - it is a tougher decision to make now - just kidding

I will use the car for weekday driving including going to work (8 months per year) - and also occasional track days (3-4 times per year) - I will not use either for winter as I will get a cheap car for winter.

also I have two kids, a 3-year old and a 6-month old - I know the carrera has small back seats but I am worried about putting my kids there due to many factors such as stiff suspensions, engine noise, safety, etc... - but maybe I am not 100% correct in that - so I figured both cars would be useless anyways when it comes to family outings - the NSX has only 2 seats and the carrera has useless back seats - but I only want one of these two cars for me !!!

any further help based on the above criteria ??

Quick Reply: 996 VS Acura NSX