Sponsored by:

996 VS Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

you ppl worry too much. if it blows up, buy another one. you play you pay.
i have had four 996, three gt3, three boxster S, three cayman s, only one RMS.
i had the so called bullet proof e36m3 (all stock motor) i blew it into pieces.
i have 6 close friends on WRX, 3 are stock, 3 are way overboosted. eveyrone blew up (they are all hardcored trackers).
someone mentioned nsx. yes, in stock form, very reliable, if you run them at 450hp, they blow up, everyone of them, if you actually pushed it.

if you intend to drive a car hard they all break, engine is a disposable wear item just like brake pads, and rotors. i used to think a good motor last forever, that's BS. you push them, you rebuild them, you blow them up, you rebuild again. it's part of the game.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"you ppl worry too much. if it blows up, buy another one. you play you pay."

Said like a man with to much money...

I understand that most P-cars haven't had any issues, I just want to understand fully what I am in for if I buy a Porsche. I do not have a huge income and so "just buy a new one" isn't that simple.

I will look much closer at the 996 and the NSX as my options, I want the Porsche as I think it will fit my needs better (back seats rock). But the NSX can't be iggnored either, and with that level of reliability it's even harder.

I do understand that any motor can break, but for the price Porsche demands I expect them to be far above the rest, not below. Engineering a car is engineering a car.

*shrug*
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
"you ppl worry too much. if it blows up, buy another one. you play you pay."

Said like a man with to much money...

I understand that most P-cars haven't had any issues, I just want to understand fully what I am in for if I buy a Porsche. I do not have a huge income and so "just buy a new one" isn't that simple.

I will look much closer at the 996 and the NSX as my options, I want the Porsche as I think it will fit my needs better (back seats rock). But the NSX can't be iggnored either, and with that level of reliability it's even harder.

I do understand that any motor can break, but for the price Porsche demands I expect them to be far above the rest, not below. Engineering a car is engineering a car.

*shrug*
I think what most of us are trying to tell you is that we cannot fairly give you the assurance you seek. I honestly do not think you will have any problems IF you buy a good used car. That said, my assurances mean absolutely nothing.

You will probably be fine. If you cannot afford to deal with a problem if one develops, then get an extended warranty OR put your dream of a Porsche on temporary hold and wait until you really can afford one (i.e., buy one without worrying). The minute I start worrying about door dings or mechanical problems, then I will sell my car and get a cheaper one that I can drive worry free. There are cars that I would love to get and could afford to get, but I don't get them because I would not drive them on the track like they deserve to be driven because I would worry about damaging them. For this exact reason, i drive a 20 year old Porsche on the track. And I drive the snot out of it (most of the time). And I don't worry about it (even when I put it into a wall at 87 mph). That worryfree joy is priceless. Don't understimate the importance of this principle.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Somebody help Gregg find a 996 Cab. He sold the 993 and the NSX and is now driving a Guards Red/Black Yugo with an aero kit
Old 10-11-2006, 11:41 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

I understand what you are saying TD and it makes great sense.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

2000wrx, it's unlikely you'll get the assurance you need even if you had empirical data. Your pocketbook won't care how low that failure % is if yours ends up to be in that %. Sometimes, it's just the luck of the draw. You can perform due diligence as much as possible, but it's still no guarantee. All used cars (whatever the make) will have potential issues, large or small. The Germans just cost more to repair, and that's an inescapable fact. As TD has pointed out, if the idea of Porsche ownership is worrisome and keeps you up at night, then it's likely not a wise choice for you, personally or financially.

Please do recognize that our seemingly "cavalier" attitude toward repair costs isn't a sign of arrogance or indication of financial prowess. We're all just trying to fully enjoy our dream machine like it was meant to be. Any time spent worrying is time taken away from our enjoyment.

One more thing. Don't be so intolerant of the perceived Porsche engineering "shortcoming." While price tag oftentimes reflects level of quality, it isn't necessarily a measure of reliability. Are you of the mindset that all high-priced autos should be as mechanically reliable as Hondas and Toyotas? There are many other factors that go into the pricing of any consumer goods.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone who is talking about the NSX actually own one ?... or just repeating stereotypes and magazine speak ?
Ive owned both 996 and NSX and as far as reliability and repairs go, they are exactly the same.

I had a 95 NSX bought at 14,000 miles and owned it for 5 years. I that time i had a coil pack go bad, i had gallery plug and cam end seal leaks ($1700), the coolant bottle started to leak.

The 996 is a 2001 bought 5k miles ive owned 2 years. It has had a bad MAF, an aging O2 sensor and i needed a new back window for the cab top.

The NSX needs timing belt changes every 5(?) years for approx $1200-$1500, the 996 doesnt (but you can replace 2 RMS for this price).
The early NSX had a snap ring issue for a few years that destroyed the tramsmission, the early 996 had a liner issue that destroyed the engine.

Im not bashing the NSX... i really loved that car, but its a machine and it may/will breakdown.
Just because its from Japan, doesnt make it a Honda Civic.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

"Engineering a car is engineering a car."

Um, yes, but you have to understand what engineering means. It's about tradeoffs, in the case of an engine tradeoffs among specific output, driveability, emissions, reliability, durability, NVH and cost. Every call a designer makes tries to balance those priorities. When you ask an engine to give you a specific output approaching a usable 100hp/liter, you're already setting the bar high. Make it streetable and comparatively affordable, and you have a real challenge. I think Porsche does a pretty good job of it.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

dated thread

Last edited by rodH; 01-28-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: dated thread
Old 01-29-2016, 01:59 PM
int90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
the coolant bottle started to leak

The early NSX had a snap ring issue for a few years that destroyed the tramsmission
Dated thread, but I would like to clarify:

- Minor coolant lost over time, replaced the coolant bottle in 1996(?) and seems fine in the past 20 years. Maybe time for another one...
More importantly, replace coolant hoses every 10-15 years, parts and labor in the range of $1200 IIRC many years ago.

- transmission damage is possible if one keeps driving the car after snap ring failure. Mine failed after 20 years 60K miles or so. Needed a new snap ring (obviously) & transmission case (manufacturing defect in late 1991 and early 1992). With a new clutch and JDM short gears, it definitely costs way more than the $1500 I budgeted in 1996 when I learned about the defect.

- A very common problem is the window regulator. Genuine replacement part costs more than 2x the one in my 996T.

Last edited by int90; 01-29-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: coolant hoses
Old 01-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned and driven lots of different euro hot rods and Porsches, but in my experience, the NSX was quite boring to drive. Uninspiring as a Camry. Just my opinion, and I couldn't find the yawn emoticon. A lot more useful to just park and look at, they look great.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Former Honda fan here. Took a test ride in a new 2002 NSX, the engine sound killed it for me, sounds just like a V-6 Accord which is a great engine, but not for a sport car. When I shop for a car the engine is one of the most important components. I couldn't stand to hear that Honda
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Former Honda fan here. Took a test ride in a new 2002 NSX, the engine sound killed it for me, sounds just like a V-6 Accord which is a great engine, but not for a sport car. When I shop for a car the engine is one of the most important components. I couldn't stand to hear that Honda
Years ago I did some laps at Willow Springs in a NSX...quick, competent, but for me it was boring. I didn't enjoy the interior, I never felt connected to the controls of the car, and I never thought much of the lines...sort of a Lotus by committee. It certainly is a good car, but never a great car. Cironi has a new test on the Nissan GT-R Super Car. He marvels at its excellence and speed...and in the end wishes it had been made by men with dirty hands instead of by a team of thousands all in white lab coats.

Its just old school vs new school.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Years ago I did some laps at Willow Springs in a NSX...quick, competent, but for me it was boring. I didn't enjoy the interior, I never felt connected to the controls of the car, and I never thought much of the lines...sort of a Lotus by committee. It certainly is a good car, but never a great car. Cironi has a new test on the Nissan GT-R Super Car. He marvels at its excellence and speed...and in the end wishes it had been made by men with dirty hands instead of by a team of thousands all in white lab coats.

Its just old school vs new school.
Sure...
Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM
fmmoto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I had two separate drives in the NSX in 1993/1994 both on public roads and for a total of around 20 miles. I worked for an Acura retailer at the time and it was the hottest car they had (well, that wasn't difficult since the next hottest car was the Acura Legend coupe ). I loved it and imagined owning one someday. Years later and lucky enough to own a Carrera I still like the NSX but realize it would not have the same sports car experience.

Quick Reply: 996 VS Acura NSX