Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 01:23 PM
HR
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar Detectors

What are everyone's thoughts on the best Radar detectors out there? How does everyone have them in stalled in the 996? I just bought a 1999 996 and need to get one installed fast. I have an older Bell, but its a piece....

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2001, 05:15 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Well, the one that cleans up over here in Europe is the Bel 550 (replaced the 990). It is streets ahead of all others on the market in terms of detection distance, and reduced false alarms. It has been raved about in magazine reviews

Mine has been extremely accurate, and gives plenty of warning of approaching radar traps.

A good source of speed trap info etc is at:
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/index.html

and reviews of detectors are at:
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Avoid_Ho...id_Gadgets.htm

Regards
Eric
Old 09-03-2001, 06:15 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Hi HR,

The links Eric posted are really good. They are also slanted toward the UK. I haven't used the Bell and don't really know more than I just read. I sounds great.

I've been using a V-1 for more than a year with great results. Its saved me on more than a dozen occasions with an almost rediculous amount of advance warning.

I suggest you check this one out too. Very simple to use and it works great in CA and NV from my experiences. The Bell may have newer technology and now I'll have to check that out.

Best,

Josh
Old 09-03-2001, 06:22 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Best one in Europe is the Bel 990 International, like Eric said, and is the one I use. I got the best reviews in the magazines. In the States I´ve read about the Valentine one, K40 and the top model of Bel(what ever the model name is there in the U.S.)
Carlos from Spain
Old 09-03-2001, 07:27 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Eric's post about the Bell is the first rave I've heard of regarding Bell. Before that I think I've barely heard mention of it. It sounds great to me. Generally the V-1 is the standard out here despite far more press about the Passport models.

So, do you guys think the Bell would work well out here or do you suppose the law enforcement in Europe uses systems vastly different from the States? Incidentally, the V1 is a $400. unit. How much is the Bell?

Josh
Old 09-03-2001, 07:50 PM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Isn't Belltronics an American company?? I know that the first lot of Bell gear that came over to the UK didn't work very well because they were designed with the States in mind, we then got a revised version which coped well over this side of the pond.

Certainly when I power my unit up, you can select which country you are in, and the States is obviously one of those listed on the options menu.

If the cops are using any of the bands covered by the 550/990, then I am sure it would work great there. Nothing even came close to it in all the magazine reviews over here, to the point where it was literally the only one they could recommend. I am a member of another car club over here, and we arranged a 'group buy' of the units with a pretty good discount, so far all members are really happy with the performance.

Eric
Old 09-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

I Can't figure out if Bel is an American company. I couldn't find anything under Bell or Bel that told me where they are made, but I didn't search very hard. This company sells them online via the UK Bel Direct. I'd love to try one out in a head to head against the V-1. I did that with the V-1 and a Passport and it was no contest.

These are some review pages on both the Bel and V-1
V-1 review
Bel Reviews
If you follow the links to the reviews you can see what people have said.

That sounds very cool that the Bel has a switch for the country of use. Eric, what did you pay at the group rate?

Best,

Josh
Old 09-04-2001, 12:40 AM
TexasTurbo
7th Gear

I've used two different V-1s, a Passport 4600, and an older Bel somethingorother. Here in the states, the V-1 gets my vote hands down. I'll admit, the Bel I used was about 5 years ago, but my freakin' cell phone would set it off. The Passport was good, but did not seem to have the range that the V1 has. And since Valentine has recently reduced the size of it's detector, that's what I have in the 996 with my older V1 being the floater between my other cars.

I had my dealer wire the V1 up in the 996, so it's mounted up by the rear view mirror, with no cords hanging down in the way. It's wired into the accessory system, so it turns off when the ignition is not on.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:53 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Josh, the MRP is £450, we paid about £300 for them - probably still more than you can get them for at normal retail price in the States - but hell, we get ripped off for EVERYTHING - I won't even start on petrol at above £4 a gallon.........

Eric
Old 09-04-2001, 06:35 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eric, I was just curious. I know you have it bad with gas and quite a few other imports. Let me know if it arises that I could send something over that would ease that. You do have better chocolate.

JW
Old 09-04-2001, 11:16 AM
brobbinson
Instructor

I use an indash K40 system in my 911 - its a very custom look and you can't tell there is a detector in the car from the outside (sensors in the front and rear lights and a lazer diffuser under the front plate). Check out the K40 website. I use a passport 8500 portable detector in my second car - this is a great portable detector and is much smaller than the Valentine 1. Passport recently came out with an indash model as well - but I have not seen it in use. The advantage of the Valentine 1, on the other hand, is its ability to tell you which direction the radar/lazer is coming from.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:10 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Yes, Bel is american (canadian to be exact I think). And the unit Eric and I have is the international version Bel990i(made for europe in mind)in which you can select from all the K,Ka, Ku, X used in the world to suit the ones used in your particular country. There is a big difference between the 990 and other Bel models and Passport won´t work here in Europe.The freq´s in the states are different than in europe and V1 will only work in the states. But from the reviews I read the best overall "american" is the V1. I bought mine (bel990i)over net net from the UK cheaper than the 400 pound retail price (I think it was 330 pounds which is around 550$)you just have to search.

Carlos from Spain
Old 09-04-2001, 04:12 PM
HR
7th Gear

Thanks for the responses everyone. Consequently, I have been using a Bell for about 4-5 years. It was the top of the line model when I bought it (855sti i think). Honestly, it hasn't performed that well. It seems to give pretty decent warning, but it goes off all the time - sometimes for 20-30 minutes non stop when I know nothing is around me. I used to live in the country and I would be driving down a country road (with no police in 20 miles), and it would go off like I got hit with instant-on. It was pretty inexpensive (less than $200) so I have kept it for a while. But now that I bought a Porsche, I want something that works well. From what I've heard and read, I think I will buy the V1 with the concealed display.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:24 AM
Jeff C
Advanced

I like the underdash positioning of the K40 but it is very poor at detecting and alot of $$$. I see alot of them in Porsches as the dealers must push them. Check out this site for some good info though I have heard the site is slanted toward Passport and against Valentine: Radar Tests
Old 09-07-2001, 04:16 AM
HR
7th Gear

FYI - I received a quote today from K40 for $1,150 for the installation of their detector, and an additional $600 for the installation of the laser option. Think I'll take the V1 at $399.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors