Sponsored by:

Help - serpentine belt/coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
jjker
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help - serpentine belt/coolant issue

Hey guys, anyone know which accessory is the lower-most one driven by the serpentine belt? I assume it's the water pump?

The car is leaking coolant (not from the cap or reservoir - my coolant cap part number does end in 01, and the reservoir is dry, free of crust and appears to be in excellent condition) and the pulley on that lower most accessory is screwed. It's loose and wiggles, and the belt is off. I don't know if it's a bearing failure, or what. The part that concerns me, is that there is coolant leaking out (there appears to be a coolant hose right there, but I don't think it's coming from the hose) I'm thinking that the pulley has been in rough shape for some time, and has possibly worn through the housing of the water pump?

Anyone have experience with this?

Lastly, does coolant affect the paint? Should I wash it off immediately, or is it harmless?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 06-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Coolant does not hurt paint although it will spot it pretty bad....the other I do not know. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:03 PM
jjker
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Steve. I apprecaite the input. I washed it off just to be safe.

Does nobody else know anything about the serpentine belt and/or pulleys? I'm starting the think it's the main drive pulley (the one connected to the crank).

Anyone? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help - serpentine belt/coolant issue