Sponsored by:

GT3 aerokit question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts
Post GT3 aerokit question?

At this point with all the mods I done so far the last thing I will plan to do is the GT3 aerokit. I still have the GT3 3rd radiator to do and changing rims but once that is done then the aerokit is next. My question is I do like the front and side skirts but the rear spoilers seems abit too much for me but wanted to know if it's ok to do just the front spoiler and side skirts. Do you think it would make it unstable on the track due to increased downforce upfront without the fixed rear wing? If so I'll probably order the whole set. I like to know if anyone has done just the front and sides without the rear wing and did you notice any instability on the track or at high speeds? Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 07-11-2002, 10:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't dare try, installed the whole kit and caboodle.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:11 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike,

The GT3 aerokit is all about reducing lift and drag (not adding downforce as some might suggest). Porsche and the PCA recommend that you install at least a front air dam and rear spoiler together so that you don't upset the car's drag or lift characteristics.

If you don't like the Porsche GT3 rear spoiler have a look at the RUF kit.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:32 AM
SICAONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loren,

I was told that the rear wing was adjustable for positive downforce. Was I misinformed? Why would gas mileage be effected then by just reducing lift and drag then with the adjustments of the wing?
Old 07-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SICAONE,

Yes. The rear wing is adjustable to 3 positions. The amount of additional downforce is negligible except at very high speeds. I guess I am speaking more in the sense of downforce that you or I can feel. The aerokit rear wing in conjunction with the front air dam reduce lift (and some of the floaty-ness) of the 996 at speed. Further reduction can be accomplished by lowering the car with ROW M030. I'm just saying you will notice more with the suspension changes that the aerokit. I am not dissing the aerokit (I have it on my car) - I'm just saying you won't feel much.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:14 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I definitely agree that you may only notice it at really high speeds. I just have to get the suspension already.

Quick Reply: GT3 aerokit question?