Sponsored by:

996 ECU and Chip Options Read On

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Eurotek
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996 ECU and Chip Options Read On

We have worked with several tuners abroad when it comes to ECU tunning and we usually send out the customers box. However we have a 2001 Cab in our shop we did Fabspeed exhaust and intake and Joe sold us a UniCHip from the Racers Group it did not work, car bogged and stalled, then I contacted the Racers Group and they blammed me for installing it wrong which is impossible since it is so easy to wire and he went over all conections on the Phone to verify this, they charged me again for another UniChip and this one does not start the car, Im am fed up and so is the customer, I am thinking aobut using the Autothority Program instead, I am calling them later today and I want a refund for all these Unichips otherwise Ill claim it defective throught AMEX,the nerve of these guys and theire product and when I tell them whats wrong they say sorry we dont know what it can be maybe the car is broekn but when it is removed it drives 100%
Old 10-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Question

No affiliation ....... and maybe I'm just way wrong, but isn't the Unichip (aka The PROgram) supposed to be installed using a dyno to custom tune for the car. You didn't mention anything about that aspect of things, so maybe there is some confusion ?
Old 10-08-2002, 01:02 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts
Did the Unichip come in preprogrammed or did you have a dyno to tune it to the car? I have one done on my '99 996 but was installed and tuned by TRG at Sear's Point with a dyno. There are other tuners like Gemballa that can custom make a chip for the car but you would have to be in the premises. You may want to check out Rennsport Systems-Steve Werner?-you would have to send the ecu to them though. Good luck. Mike
Old 10-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Eurotek
7th Gear

No these units were programmed by the racers group regardless they should not sell these to shops that dont have dynos to make adjustments

I am getting a refund and still waiting for my customer to give the go ahead and will send to FVD in FL, anyone use them for motronics?
Old 10-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I hope your customer realizes that modifying the DME voids his drivetrain and emissions warranty. I have had the UniChip installed for a couple of years and just had a big dispute with my dealer over an engine repair that they wouldn't do under warranty because I had the Unichip installed and escalated it to PCNA. They not only backed up the dealer but voided the remainder of my drivetrain and emissions warranty because of the chip.

If you want to do this, I would recommend working with something other than a piggyback system, which has to be hardwired into the DME, making it very obvious to the dealer. Perhaps Rennsport's alternative it better, in that you can get a replacement DME to swap in if you have to take the car back to dealer for engine related work.

Quick Reply: 996 ECU and Chip Options Read On