Sponsored by:

1999 996 Carrera 2 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 02:16 AM
NJTim
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1999 996 Carrera 2 Coupe

Greetings Everyone and Wie sind Sie und wilkommen zu mein neue Freund...Rennlist!
I am brand new to this site. If everything works out, I will be the very proud parent of a 1999 996 Carrera 2 Coupe by Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. I do however need your help. I have literally spent an entire week (evenings) trying to find information on the vehicle and many of the sites do not have very much info about this specific vehicle. I would like to know all (as many as possible) good & bad things about the vehicle as possible. I also need the name of a reputable Porsche dealer in the Columbus, Ohio area to completely check out the car for me. I will be buying the car long distance. Seller is sending me digital pictures on Monday with all details including VIN. I will need recommendations on a reasonable transport to deliver the vehicle to me. (Ohio to NJ). I am extremely excited, but want to keep a level head about myself. Seller informs me the car had a brand new engine put in 1 month ago. Will be getting more details on Monday. One last item: any recommendations, plus where to purchase them, on extended warranties, tires (brand name and sizes for front & back) and rims? Please excuse the lengthy note, but I can use all of the constructive input I can get. Would appreciate all input prior to this Monday, if possible. Many thanks from the new guy on the block!
Old 07-23-2001, 12:57 AM
NJTim
4th Gear

Could really use someones help on my questions before noon tomorrow please...Thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 10:45 AM
brobbinson
Instructor

I would use carfax, or a similar service, to run a check on the vin# to make sure there are no liens, no records of accidents, etc. Also, why was a new engine installed on the '99? and who installed it (porsche dealer under warranty?). I have a late model year '99 c4 coupe - great car. Early model year '99s were reported to have some issues (all covered by warranty). I'd ask the seller which dealer he purchased the car from in Ohio and would not be shy about calling their service department to get the service history of the car. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:45 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tim, You might be best off looking through the archives to better understand the good and bad of the 99 996 but I'll give you a couple of hints. It seems that for the most part early build date 99s have a lot of problems while later ones are much better. There are differing views of when the change occured but as a rule of thumb you may want to avoid 99s with colored front turn signals. On the later 99s the signals are clear. (not scientific, but simple) Better yet, you may want to look for a nice 00 although my late 99 has been perfect.

As far as tires and wheels go, there are as many opions as there are owners. Again, check the archives. The good news is that the tires wear out fast enough that you will have plenty of chances to try out different brands.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 Carrera 2 Coupe