996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Allot of beat up 911's!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006 | 09:36 PM
club411
Pro

Default Allot of beat up 911's!

So I have looked at a few turbos and c4s's. It seems the whole market has gotten more expensive since I bought my car last year.

Places are asking high 70's for a 2001 beat up turbo... These cars are just terrible. Who in their right mond is going to spend 80k on a 5 year old beat up porsche?
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:40 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

I gotta say this is one strang post, May I ask what your point is, if anything or are just stating an observation. Take no offence to this reply but WTF??
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:56 PM
club411
Pro

Frustrated with my turbo search... I was just venting...sorry! I will go to the 928 forums and vent there if that makes you feel better.
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:12 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by club411
Frustrated with my turbo search... I was just venting...sorry! I will go to the 928 forums and vent there if that makes you feel better.
Don't do that, those guys hate 911 owners, an angry bunch indeed

I haven't seen too many beat up Porsches... certainly some high mileage ones, but nothing beat on.

Are you looking at dealers or private party?
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:32 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

I've seen more than a few selling for under 70K, and plenty with not too many miles and in practically perfect condition selling in the 70-75K range. Where are you finding these overpriced / poor condition cars? I think you're looking in the wrong place(s)!

Check out www.cars.com. It has the largest selection of used Porsches on the internet.
Old 05-04-2006 | 10:54 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Teflon's correct. Doing a quick search on cars.com came up with an '03 for $68k with 12k miles.
Old 05-05-2006 | 12:47 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Vent what ever forum you want to , I just didnt understand your post,i still dont, but hey thats the beuaty of rennlist, has anyone noticed that all the 928 cars are beat up and have milage
Old 05-05-2006 | 08:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by riad
Don't do that, those guys hate 911 owners, an angry bunch indeed

I haven't seen too many beat up Porsches... certainly some high mileage ones, but nothing beat on.

Are you looking at dealers or private party?
I suppose it depends upon where you are looking. The Porsche Dealers I visit keep only the better Porsches, but I imagine that some Dealers will sell anything.
Old 05-05-2006 | 09:39 AM
club411
Pro

Looking mostly at dealers. I figure if I am going to spend 70+k on a used car it better be in prestime condition..

I bought my 996 aero late in the summer last year. Seems to me that the overall market is 5-10k more expensive since then. My imagination?
Old 05-05-2006 | 10:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Looking mostly at dealers. I figure if I am going to spend 70+k on a used car it better be in prestime condition..

I bought my 996 aero late in the summer last year. Seems to me that the overall market is 5-10k more expensive since then. My imagination?
The worse time to buy a Porsche in the northeast is during the months of May, June and July. The best time is during the months of December, January, and February. So it doesn't surprise me that you are seeing higher prices at this time.

I agree with your view about a car being in pristine condition if you are asking $70K. You can buy lots of new outstanding performance cars for that money.The MSRP for a C6 Z06 for example is a little under $70K.
Old 05-05-2006 | 10:44 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

I guess it's all relative. Although 70k may seem to be a good chunk of money to spend on a car, just remember the cost of a new turbo is 130k+. With almost a depreciation of 50%, you are going to get a hell of a car for that price. Finding a pristine TT, depending on how high your level of "pristine" goes, may be difficult for 70k. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find something, but given your current budget of 70k, you can't be extremely picky

I've found most turbo's are taken care of, most porsches for that matter, but you will always find cars which have been "beaten" on regardless. Doing a simple in-person check and a PPI will quickly determine if the car is quality or not.
Old 05-05-2006 | 11:07 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I gotta say this is one strang post, May I ask what your point is, if anything or are just stating an observation. Take no offence to this reply but WTF??

please stop trying to be like me
Old 05-05-2006 | 12:00 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

911 depreciation in general is enviable. THe higher end 911's in particular. I LOVE my BoxsterS but they made soooo many of them to save Porsche's neck that the rate of depreciation has me looking for an 02-04 C4S. At first depreciation was excellent for the BoxsterS but with so many coming back from leases the the dealership can't absorb them all and they are making deals left and right. (a great time to buy a first Porsche). Before the BoxsterS I was also consdering CarreraS but wanted the mid engine for Autocross and track. And I'm a roadster guy (no back seats) through and through so the first ever pure convertible from Porsche seemed like a no brainer.
But a car is still an investment(a horrible one ) and I'm not holding onto a stock that's on a quicker downward trend than I would welcome.

So take car of those 996 guys!

p.s.
I HATE the 997 look, excellent performance though.
Old 05-05-2006 | 01:23 PM
bet
Drifting

I can identify with the original poster. Car prices are always popular topics on here and it always amazes me the prices people talk about. I finally gave up on the discussions because from my experience it seems my idea of what good condition is different than what others are looking for. When ever I have looked at used Porsches (bought 3 btw) the prices that everyone on Rennlist quotes as what one should be paying are only on cars I would not touch. The cars that I consider good cars are always priced in the category that many on here consider a couple of $1k’s “over priced.” I am an strong believer in you get what you pay for in used cars and especially Porsches.

I agree with the original poster, there are many beat up Porsches for sale and mileage is not necessarily a good indicator of the care the previous owner utilized on the car. It is not even the big things, its the little things that really bother me, like broken aero pieces on the underside of the car, neglected maintenance, mismatched tires, nicks/cuts/scraps in the interior, etc. I know things are going to happen even to well taken care of vehicles. But the person who gets it fixed is the person who’s car I want to buy because they consciously take care of the car vs. just driving and letting stuff go. The other common thing you see in used Porsches is the need for some high cost maintenance soon (i.e. new tires, new brake rotors, major service, etc.). The cars pass PPI’s with flying colors but 5k miles down the road they need a couple of $1k’s of maintenance. This too me is not necessarily a good buy (unless you determine the cost of maintenance carefully when buying and allow for it in the price).

Last edited by bet; 05-05-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2006 | 03:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I agree with you 100%, Brian, as I consider myself a meticulous owner of my cars. The lack of attention to details bothers me to no end, especially when it comes to car care. When I first bought my car (used), the first things I replaced were the air ducts underneath the front bumper and the battery pastic cover. Over the years, I've replaced the front trunk carpet, CDR-220 (simply because of a worn ****), small plastic side-airbag cover tabs, seatbelt anchor cover, and even the third brake light strip due to a tiny crack in the tab cover. None of these are critical items, or even necessary, but I just couldn't stand it knowing they're "damaged."

Quick Reply: Allot of beat up 911's!