Sponsored by:

Accessories: Opinions/Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 05:14 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Post Accessories: Opinions/Advice.

I've been watching this board now for several weeks. It has been a real source of entertainment and resource. I've come to appreciate the variety of opinions,jeers and whatnot. I am therefore posting some questions, and feel free to comment in any way.

I have an arctic silver/black 2002 C4S, and I'm trying to decide on some things.

1. Clear side markers. I have clear side markers in a box in the garage. I am hesitant to put them on, since almost all the posts I see of the 996 show clear side markers. It may actually be more unique to keep the amber ones.

2. Front license plates. It's illegal not to have them where I am. Plates, however, detract so much from the front end of the car, I haven't put them on. I plan to play dumb and keep my fingers crossed if caught. Think I might someday eat those words?

3. Aerokit. With the wide body C4S, the choice was to get the full turbo aerokit. I wanted to keep the car as close to a pristine factory spec condition as possible, and I thought the aerokit would be way too much of a variance from that. As a compromise, I asked if PAG would install just the Turbo spoiler. No dice. With the car now here, I'm still considering it.

Tried to post a pic of the car to stimulate some comments, but haven't figured ou thow to do it yet. Whaddaya think?
Old 03-31-2002, 06:08 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Upload a picture, click on 'Upload Photo' and it explains how to upload the file.

1. Since you already have them try them. What do you prefer.

2. Put the plates on and be legal. In UK we dont have a choice either. Nobody really cares about these things.

3. The C2 with a standard aerokit looks really good and I prefer that look. The C4 does look good even without aerokit. I havent seen a full turbo aerokit. I Definitely prefer the car with the smaller spoiler that would come with a standard aerokit.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:07 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You asked for opinions, so here goes. I own an 02 AS 996 Cab. It's a narrowbody so the spoiler comparison won't be exact. IMHO, with your wider body the spoiler that lifts will actually look more out of place than a fixed spoiler will. Secondly, regardless of how many people have clear side markers, if youhave an AS car,it's a must. Amber goes with yellow. Regarding front license plate, I guess it's something you have to live with. I have a silver frame on the rear plate and am getting one for the front bracket as well. In MA, it's not worth getting stopped for this infraction..and you do get scrutinized in a Porsche! There are some pics of spoiler on my website that may help you decide what the end result would look like. Be sure to compare the fixed spoiler with what the standard one looks like when raised. It's not very big in comparison.<a href="http://www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod" target="_blank">Don's web page</a>
Old 03-31-2002, 11:51 PM
Speed
Pro

RE the license plate issue: I have a 1963 356B that I bought from someone in GA which does not require a front plate. NY does. I just keep the front plate in the car and tell the officer the bracket fell off. It's never been a problem. Another alternative: a friend of mine with a Boxter had a decal made up as an exact replica of a NY plate and put it on the front bumper below the air intake. He's never had problem being stoped.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:40 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Talking

Thanks, y'all. Have made some decisions.

1.Tried the clear side lights. I like it much better than the amber ones. Works well with Arctic Silver. It gives the car a much cleaner look. I was surprised at the difference. Anybody want a free set of amber side lights?

2.Still don't have the front plates on. Thanks for the advice, Bins, but I still shudder at the thought of putting them on. Anyway, this is America, the land founded by British and European outlaws. I'll just keep the plates and bracket in the car. I'll probably gnaw on the bracket a bit with a pair of pliers to make Speed's story more convincing.

3.Aerokit. Great picture, Don. Nice car, too. But I've decided I like the C4S just the way it is. The "factory look" has that much of an appeal to me. If I wanted a Turbo or a GT2 look, I'd get a turbo or a GT2.

Again, thanks. The car is now up to 1700 miles. Only 300 more miles to go and the break-in is over. I've picked an uninhabited 5 mile stretch of curvy mountain road to celebrate when the time comes. Newly paved last fall, I've driven over it several times to familiarize myself with it. Not a soul in sight all times. The 996 C4S has been so tame and serene and comfortable, I could've been driving a Buick. Great for day to day driving. Can't wait to let the beast out. I'll give you guys an update on just how much beast is on tap after the event.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Talking

I had the front plate on just long enough to get some dead bugs on it. I keep it in trunk so if I am ever stopped for it I can show it to the "man" and tel him it got broken off in the parking lot by another car. I have been stopped once for a right on red violation and they never mentioned thye front plate being missing!

Quick Reply: Accessories: Opinions/Advice.