Pics of my 99 996 C2 Finally

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Is that Air Force One? AWESOME! Sweet car too
AF1 is just the name assigned to the plane the CINC is traveling in. The "Presidential Plane" is actually a sweetly modded 747.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Yes it is Arena Red and I got the car pre-owned from an import dealer in Fairfax VA near DC in 2004. Since I've spent most of 2005 overseas I didn't have a chance to finish it up the way I want to until now.
Hmm lowering it is a thought however the streets in DC and Maryland/VA seem to be full of potholes so I am hesitant. I'd like to put an areokit on it but am not knowledgeable on the different types or what would fit actually for a MY99 996. My wife tells me to keep it classic and not add to much stuff though.

Stereo install details...hmm. Boston Acoustic Pro Series separates in 6.5 components in the dash and door. Alpine 6.5" bass subs under each seat and Boston Acoustic 6.5 coaxials in the rear speaker setting. Factory grills. Alpine 350w Sub Amp for subs and a Kenwood KVT-815 (I believe) fold out DVD/LCD screen head unit with a KNVA-4100 DVD Nav system mounted in the front. Kenwood 10G Music Keg added install for digital sound and so that I don't always have to worry about switching my music collection from car to car (my daily driver is a 2002 BMW M3 coupe). What else...sounds great. May add ipod (don't really need it with the music keg) or Sirrus Sat radio to it (don't listen to much other than talk radio and not even that much).

As for the wheels; They are a copy and adaptation of the Sport Design Classics from Porsche I believe. I got them on Ebay from a Porsche wheel shop in Fl for around $1200 for the set of 4. As you can see the rears are deep dish lip with the front having a slightly smaller lip and yeah jjker I haven't seen em either on another P-car other than yours.

Any thoughts on a good short shifter kit out there? What about litronics...anybody done the upgrade?What else ya guys wanna know?

Oh yeah that is Air Force 2 (we were in the UK) not Air Force One. Air Force One is a 747 and a lil bigger. Actually the callsign applies to whatever the President or Vice President happens to be flying that day NOT the jet but they don't fly anything else that often. Maan after flying in those I tell you Coach and Business class is definately difficult! LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Stereo install details...hmm. Boston Acoustic Pro Series separates in 6.5 components in the dash and door. Alpine 6.5" bass subs under each seat and Boston Acoustic 6.5 coaxials in the rear speaker setting. Factory grills. Alpine 350w Sub Amp for subs and a Kenwood KVT-815 (I believe) fold out DVD/LCD screen head unit with a KNVA-4100 DVD Nav system mounted in the front. Kenwood 10G Music Keg added install for digital sound and so that I don't always have to worry about switching my music collection from car to car (my daily driver is a 2002 BMW M3 coupe). What else...sounds great. May add ipod (don't really need it with the music keg) or Sirrus Sat radio to it (don't listen to much other than talk radio and not even that much).
Thanks for the info...I had Boston Acoustic Pro Series separates in 6.5 in my last truck (great sound!) in the front, do you have the "woofer" in the door & the midrange & the tweeter in the dash?

What kind of enclosure do you have the Alpine 6.5" bass subs in that are under the seat?

It is difficult (for me) to tell where you have your amps, cross-overs, etc. mounted....can you shed a little more light on that or maybe another pic that
is "pulled back" a bit more?

TIA,

- Cam
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm lowering it is a thought however the streets in DC and Maryland/VA seem to be full of potholes so I am hesitant. I'd like to put an areokit on it but am not knowledgeable on the different types or what would fit actually for a MY99 996. My wife tells me to keep it classic and not add to much stuff though.

Any thoughts on a good short shifter kit out there? What about litronics...anybody done the upgrade?What else ya guys wanna know?
I live and work in Georgetown with a very low 996. No problems whatsoever. Just get the rear engine protection plate.

Aerokits are great but, depending upon the front bumper you get, that can cause you more problems than lowering the car without the aerokit. Something to keep in mind.

In and around DC, you MUST pay close attention to tire pressures and run them at recommended pressures. If you drive with lower pressures, you significantly increase the chances that you will bend a rim when, and you know what I mean, you hit a pothole.

The B&M short shift kit is awesome, and the same as the new OEM kit.

I did the litronics upgrade on my old boxster S, which is the same as a 99 996. I bought it from www.e-partssales.com.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:34 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice car, love the wheels. Recommend B&M ssk, clear side markers, smoked 3rd brake light, bumper/door plugs and painted bumperettes--for starters.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Great color !
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Cam.
Hi. the woofers are mounted in the door; I have the hi-fi enclosures so the BA's fit in there nicely. Checked and the are the Pro Series 5.5" 2 way components with the BA Rally 4.5" coaxials in the back factory enclosures. The subs are called 50W Alpine basshakers and cost bout $100 each and mount nicely under the seat. No problems with travel or anything and form their own sort of enclosure so that you get bass and feel it too depending on how you set the sub level control at on the head unit or at the amp. The sub amp is a V-Power 350watt unit which is what you see mounted under the shelf along with the Kenwood 4 channel amp. The whole set up is mounted on a custom shelf mounted up front with a cover unit that has the DVD nav unit mounted to it and the head unit brains (that is what I am holding up in the 3rd pic). There is good pic of everything with the shelf closed. This is all carpeted with matching carpet so that it looks stock and nice. It's nice cause this stil allows me to carry things up front (i.e. like a small carry on, a backpack, groceries, etc). I removed the factory amp..too small no need for it and the spare tire cause if I get a flat with those size tires or a rim problem for all intent and purposes a flat bed is going to be the next step for me and not the donut. The crossovers are also mounted down there which you see a gimpse of in the pic as well. The Kenwood music keg is mounted on the left side firewall.

DC streets and potholes do make me afraid of an aerokit. Hell I've scraped my front end nicely once already on a steep driveway. Wonder about what would help that out? A clear coat bra maybe? I've heard they discolor bright colored painted vehicles like mine. Any truth to that? What about interior upgrades guys, any thoughts?

Rob
Old 04-26-2006, 11:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DC streets and potholes do make me afraid of an aerokit. Hell I've scraped my front end nicely once already on a steep driveway. Wonder about what would help that out? A clear coat bra maybe? I've heard they discolor bright colored painted vehicles like mine. Any truth to that? What about interior upgrades guys, any thoughts?

Rob
You just have to drive more carefully. You also have to remember not to pull up too close to parking curbs, which are one of the bigggest dangers because you can smack the visible part. Scraping on driveways or roads cannot be seen unless on a lift, so who cares too much about that.

I have a clear bra. Although the bra might discolor over time (3m is the only one that doesn't, supposedly), I doubt it will permanently damage your paint.

TD
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cam.
Hi. the woofers are mounted in the door; I have the hi-fi enclosures so the BA's fit in there nicely. Checked and the are the Pro Series 5.5" 2 way components with the BA Rally 4.5" coaxials in the back factory enclosures. The subs are called 50W Alpine basshakers and cost bout $100 each and mount nicely under the seat. No problems with travel or anything and form their own sort of enclosure so that you get bass and feel it too depending on how you set the sub level control at on the head unit or at the amp. The sub amp is a V-Power 350watt unit which is what you see mounted under the shelf along with the Kenwood 4 channel amp. The whole set up is mounted on a custom shelf mounted up front with a cover unit that has the DVD nav unit mounted to it and the head unit brains (that is what I am holding up in the 3rd pic). There is good pic of everything with the shelf closed. This is all carpeted with matching carpet so that it looks stock and nice. It's nice cause this stil allows me to carry things up front (i.e. like a small carry on, a backpack, groceries, etc). I removed the factory amp..too small no need for it and the spare tire cause if I get a flat with those size tires or a rim problem for all intent and purposes a flat bed is going to be the next step for me and not the donut. The crossovers are also mounted down there which you see a gimpse of in the pic as well. The Kenwood music keg is mounted on the left side firewall.

Rob
Rob,
Finally got to get back to this....thanks for the write-up, but I am a little confused.....you talk about pictures (ie:"that is what I am holding up in the 3rd pic") that I dont see.....or am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Cam
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that AAFB?

Quick Reply: Pics of my 99 996 C2 Finally