Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evo_333
I'm sure they would say ANYTHING non-OEM is sacreligious

my car is going to hell
LMAO, good point, LOL, I guess I might have to meet you there.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The GHL louds are waaay louder than fabs, I may have a set available soon, can't take it anymore.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The GHL louds are waaay louder than fabs, I may have a set available soon, can't take it anymore.

dude! no way in hell the GHL louds are louder than fabspeed. they are only moderately louder then GHL regular that's why i GOT RID of the GHL loud.

unless GHL sent me the wrong set... but i called them and double checked and loud is what they sent me.

send your louds to me so i can test them. maybe GHL was wrong... twice!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Way, I took off my fabs and put on some ghl louds, they are significantly louder than fabs. Either you had a regular set or they've changed the design. They also drone like mad, totally unexpected, I was expecting something in btwn fabs and ghl regulars. Be careful what you wish for, ghl louds are very loud.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
40th Mike
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have GHL "loud" on a 40th Anniversary car. Just perfect for me. No drone or vibration at all. They definitely did not seem to hurt the performance of the X51 based on my "seat of the pants" dyno.

Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

I just installed the Ztek headers and Mufflers over the weekend and the car is finally awake. I am very pleased with their quality and fitment, they don't sound that bad either. I don't think I ever want to go back to her sounding like a sewing machine.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:35 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The real question of this thread should be: Do you prefer to hear the intake or the exhaust when you drive?

If your answer is the latter, it's time to swap out the stock exhaust. Period.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:15 PM
delirium
Racer

A lot of you guys have the muffler bypass, can these by harmful to the engine or cause any side effects? CEL?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:18 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The msg should be loud and clear by now. Stock stinks. I hope Porsche read this site and learn.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Vulture996
Ya but Porsche engineers the best exhaust for your car. You sacrifice sound for performance with aftermarket.
I am told it is a sin to change to anything but PSE by the local Porsche fanatics.
I could not disagree more. PSE is for sound only, Fabspeed will give you sound and some extra HP.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Truble10
I could not disagree more. PSE is for sound only, Fabspeed will give you sound and some extra HP.
maybe some hp high in the power band but can potentially result in loss of torque at the low end ( i have read)
Old 04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
maybe some hp high in the power band but can potentially result in loss of torque at the low end ( i have read)
I have never read or heard anything about Fabspeed resulting in a low end power loss. The dyno charts I've seen confirm this. I have however heard about power loss on a Tubi exhaust on a 996TT. Fabspeed has a reputation for having the best HP gain for any aftermarket exhaust.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:49 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To answer your original question, I love the sound of my PSE (not sure if that's considered aftermarket or not, but what the hell, it's a mod dammit!!!) . Maybe it's psychological, but I feel more in touch with what's happening under the hood, especially when I'm out on the track. I'm more comfortable downshifting while braking hard without looking at the tach. That allows me to focus more focus on the turn ahead.

With the PSE, the car definitely attracts more attention. Hot chicks, fat bald middle aged-guys, nuns, joggers, rabbi's, bartenders, homeless people, etc. etc. People turn their heads before they see the car because they want to see what's coming down the street. No one turns their head to see what's coming when I drive the Expedition or Range Rover, even under WOT. With the PSE, the car is VERY noticable in traffic under heavy throttle. Not the neanderthal sound of a hacked-up Harley or rice burner, or the over-the-top sound of a bright orange Lambo, but the sound of a classy well-engineerd machine. Even at idle, the car sounds great.

I once handed the keys to the valet and turned to walk away. When I heard the roar of the car as it pulled away, my first reaction was to rip the chief valet a new a-hole for letting his guy drive my car like a maniac. When I turned around to watch the car drive off, I realized the driver wasn't really going that fast. He was just pulling away from the curb and getting out in traffic, nothing obscene.

Not to sound snobbish, but I often feel sorry for people who drive 996's with stock exhaust. This morning, I was stuck in traffic behind a guy with a 996 with the standard exhaust (while driving my wife's car). When he stepped on the gas to pull away from the light, I actually felt sorry for him..... even though he looked like a poser.

If it's not obvious by now, I LOVE my PSE...... even though it doesn't make the car any faster, it adds to the visceral feel of driving the car.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Ryan996
Intermediate

In my opinion, what's the point of going though the trouble with changing your exhaust if it doesn't give you any extra HP. Again just my 2 cents
Old 04-30-2006, 08:28 PM
JES1680
Instructor

In my opinion, what's the point of going though the trouble with changing your exhaust if it doesn't give you any extra HP. Again just my 2 cents
My wife has the same opinon. You mean you spent $1k on mufflers and the stock ones were perfectly good?

The stock ones are just too quiet. The P car flat six is a wonderfull sounding motor if you let the sound out =)

I'm a guitar player and currently have 12 amps in my basement. Its all about the sound.

Quick Reply: Are you glad you went with aftermarket exhaust