Sponsored by:

Who has had engine replaced, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The engine on my 2003 996 C-2, 6-speed with 23,000 miles just died last Wednesday. I was driving in a residential area going about 25 or 30 mph when I heard a radio static-like noise coming from the back of the car. It then turned into a metallic clanking noise and continued to get louder. I drove back home and when I parked it, most or all of the oil began to leak from the front of the engine.

The dealership simply said something broke inside and I will need a new engine. PCNA approved the replacement. The service adviser said the “new” engine are actually better because it uses an old case but has all new internal parts that are all hand-assembled. I hope she’s right. I did some research and suspect my intermediate shaft bearing failed or the retaining stud in or on the sprocket broke off.

If everything goes well, I will be able to pick it up today and start the not-so-fun 2000-mile break-in again. Now I have to decide of whether to keep the car beyond the warranty period.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeneric996
The engine on my 2003 996 C-2, 6-speed with 23,000 miles just died last Wednesday. I was driving in a residential area going about 25 or 30 mph when I heard a radio static-like noise coming from the back of the car. It then turned into a metallic clanking noise and continued to get louder. I drove back home and when I parked it, most or all of the oil began to leak from the front of the engine.

The dealership simply said something broke inside and I will need a new engine. PCNA approved the replacement. The service adviser said the “new” engine are actually better because it uses an old case but has all new internal parts that are all hand-assembled. I hope she’s right. I did some research and suspect my intermediate shaft bearing failed or the retaining stud in or on the sprocket broke off.

If everything goes well, I will be able to pick it up today and start the not-so-fun 2000-mile break-in again. Now I have to decide of whether to keep the car beyond the warranty period.
I have a few questions. Are you the original owner, and did you ever track your car or are you aware of anything else that may have contributed to your engine's demise? The reason I'm asking is that you have a relatively new car with low miles, and I wouldn't expect the engine to die so quickly.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Hi fast1,

I am the original owner and I have never tracked the car although I had planned to take it to a DE or two. Because of this incident, I will not even consider a DE at this time. I don't want to give PCNA the remote chance to void my warranty. The car was always maintained by the local dealership and I had my last annual service/oil change in April of 2006. The car is 3.5 years old (built in 2/03 and purchased in 4/03) and now has 23,000 miles -- a semi-daily driver and used solely on the street.

I did the 2000-mile break-in, and always waited until the engine was completely warmed up before exceeding 4K RPM.

The car has been fairly good until last week with no signs of problems until that incident. When I first got the car, I had problems with the clutch (squeaking) and throwout bearing noise but that was eventually fixed after they pulled the tranny out. There was also two radio replacements.

I guess and hope this was just a freak incident and within the 2% error. Maybe I should play the lottery?

I'm still bummed out.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Your replacement engine will have all the updated components. So, although it's sad hear that you are one of the few that need an engine replacement, the replacement engine should be a better one.

With regards to DE, sound out your local dealer. They are the one's who will OK it or not as warranty work, and PCNA usually just rubber stamps it. Porsche has the rep of a "street legal race car". So long as there are no signs of abuse, like melted clutch or type 2 over-revs, simply taking the car to DE usually does not void the warranty. So long as there is no abuse, chances are you will not need the warranty, anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeneric996
Hi fast1,

I am the original owner and I have never tracked the car although I had planned to take it to a DE or two. Because of this incident, I will not even consider a DE at this time. I don't want to give PCNA the remote chance to void my warranty. The car was always maintained by the local dealership and I had my last annual service/oil change in April of 2006. The car is 3.5 years old (built in 2/03 and purchased in 4/03) and now has 23,000 miles -- a semi-daily driver and used solely on the street.

I did the 2000-mile break-in, and always waited until the engine was completely warmed up before exceeding 4K RPM.

The car has been fairly good until last week with no signs of problems until that incident. When I first got the car, I had problems with the clutch (squeaking) and throwout bearing noise but that was eventually fixed after they pulled the tranny out. There was also two radio replacements.

I guess and hope this was just a freak incident and within the 2% error. Maybe I should play the lottery?

I'm still bummed out.
jeneric996 - I can imagine how you feel since I even get pissed when I get something as minor as an annoying rattle that's hard to find. Anyway thanks for your response and best of luck with your new engine.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:58 AM
jeneric996
Instructor

Thanks guys.

I just drove it back from the dealership and maintained under 4200 rpm that was difficult. The engine appears slightly smoother than the older one. However, this could all be in my mind. I did notice a rather rough idle while waiting at the lights. When I got home, I notice they forgot to plug in one vacuum line. I hope they did not forget anything else.

I asked about the warranty stuff and the adviser indicated that since PCNA provided this "reconditioned" engine under warranty, there will be no 2-year warranty and just the balance of the new car warranty.

She said the 2-year only applies if the customer paid for the product or if a 3rd-party like a independent warranty company paid for it. So my factory warranty expires this coming April 2007, but I am glad I purchased the extended 7/70 at the time I bought the car; I usually don't buy extended warranties.

She said this warranty claim costed about $11,000, but would have cost me about $13,000 had PCNA not covered the replacement. I also got a free alignment after the install. Apparently, they have to remove part of the rear suspension to get to the engine. Lastly, the engine is nice and shiny with lots of new external parts including an alternator and the oil cap that has the picture level to the ground like the 997s. I also see lots of parts made in 2005 and 2006.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

It seems like you are already doing it, but Ijust want to reinforce that you nned to break -in the engine like any other new engine.

I think not warrantying the engine other than the original car warranty is simply bogus.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced my engine when it got dirty. New squeaky clean engine is nize!!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
42empress
Racer

64 K miles, 3 RMS so far, told everything was in spec. I asked about engine replacement.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM
ali809
2nd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone with a TIP has had an engine replacement??
Old 10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gregg....what's the verdict though? Talk to the dealer about it? And goodwill, etc?
I had promised to follow up with info on how this went down. All cases are different, however in my case PCNA offered to step-up with 1/3 of the cost of full engine replacement.....it's currently listed as a Reman however I've known others that were shipped New. Reman warranty is 24 mo. Hopefully this car will be back on the road in a week or two.

I am fortunate to live in a town that has excellent points of support for Pcar service (Kelly Moss, Lee's, etc) however in this case I have to give the dealer (Z European) and Z's Service Management credit where credit's due......they handled the situation professionally.
I'm not saying that a Pcar owner should be 'happy' with a $7000 event 11 months out of warranty however I've owned Pcars long enough to know that sh#t happens & when it does, can be significant.

I stand by my recomendation however..........that for an M96 based Pcar, if kept beyond warranty, have an Extended for engine & driveline.

Last edited by GreggT; 11-02-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

c2 2002 rms
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
grahamtwatson
Intermediate

Default What about the *impartial* surveys or reliability?

Just a thought - almost all the reliability surveys at the moment are coming out with Porsche as number 1. Probably a more realistic statistic than asking "who's had problems". I'd love to ask this question on a GM or Ford board

Oh, and this also speaks volumes - http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamtwatson
Just a thought - almost all the reliability surveys at the moment are coming out with Porsche as number 1. Probably a more realistic statistic than asking "who's had problems". I'd love to ask this question on a GM or Ford board

Oh, and this also speaks volumes - http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/
Sorry, I kinda disagree.

We are not talking about repairing hood latches, dash squeeks, or cold starting problems (for people still under warranty and who purchased in last 2 yrs, and who completed the JD survey). Yep, I got the JD surveys to fill out in the 12 months following purchase.

Engine or drive-line failure out-of warranty are a bit different.......and I don't think JD is sending me questionaires any longer, that I might enter that info
Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

July 26, 2002 RO 15226 mileage 50,222
coolant leaking out of left rear vehicle. Engine Hydrolocked.

Replaced under warranty

I believe this was the whole porosity failure issue.

Quick Reply: Who has had engine replaced, and why?