996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who has had engine replaced, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 PM
rxinc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01 C2, in 2004 coolant level kept going down, w/ no leak noticed, dealer found out it was mixing w/ engine oil and said that I needed a new engine - all under warranty. They replaced it with a new, not rebuilt, one. I was going to get rid of the car, but then thought about it and decided to keep my "old" car with its brand new engine, and bought an extended wrrnty.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Ron PCar
Advanced

Just had mine replaced at 14k miles, cracked head. Was under warranty. dealer was great. First noticed problem when it starting idling like a 69 camaro. had it towed in and 3 days later, had it back with a brand new engine, did not cost me a penny
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Well.......on a quick search (and a re-read of the last few pages of the last Bob thread)......I thought this most appropriate a place to add my 'statistic'........a 37K, well maintained 02 C4 cab popped a timing chain & proceded to chew it up. My wife's car, and my occaisional drop-top weekend ride. Obviously never tracked....over reved...or missed a service date......this car could still be concoured.

Left 1,2,3 cam shaft is not turning. She's toast. Eleven months out of warranty.

Never before but now I'm an advocate of extended warranties (for M96 engines & drivelines going off OEM warranty). I was going to flip it in the spring......timing is everything.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Gregg....what's the verdict though? Talk to the dealer about it? And goodwill, etc?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:41 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

wow, This puts huge doubts in buying a older 996. The RMS, and cracking cylinders are common enough to be well known, and have been seen in enough mags. This is more than a little scarey, I don't seem to run in the same economic circles as some here who can drop 10K on a fix.

Man, make me wish Porsche would hire some engineers from Japan.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gregg....what's the verdict though? Talk to the dealer about it? And goodwill, etc?
Dell........the verdict is not in sight yet.....and I can see that reaching it will be a bit of a project.
Selling dealer is not local. Car is not at the local dealership, and there is more.......but I'm working on it......& will check back in with updates.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Either way, best of luck to you! Hope it all works out.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
wow, This puts huge doubts in buying a older 996. The RMS, and cracking cylinders are common enough to be well known, and have been seen in enough mags. This is more than a little scarey, I don't seem to run in the same economic circles as some here who can drop 10K on a fix.

i think they did.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx

Heh-heh . Don't get bent out of shape, 2000wrx. These incidents are few, but do get talked about a lot. I started this thread because I have had RMS replaced twice, and was wondering if it was out of the ordinary to expect a new engine under warranty if the RMS fails again. Eight months and 6,000 miles later, the new fix is still dry as a bone.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I know that this is an unpopular topic. Not intending to flame anybody or anything. I know that there have been engine replacements. Please, pretty please, no ranting or arguing about quality, poor service or reliability. This is a simple request to list reasons for engine replacements, either on or off warranty. If it was for RMS, was it because the block itself was off spec or was it simply due to the multple leaks/replacements.

Thanks!!
Why don't you do us a favor and explain why you need this? What are you searching for?

This issue has been covered more than once on probably every automotive forum in existence. The results are far from scientific. Rather they turn into a collection of random gripes and encourage trolls.

I have two M96 motors and neither has failed. This proves nothing. They could fail tomorrow, or they could never fail.

Palting, you are a great contributor to this board and you certainly know how to use the search function. Tell us what you are looking for and I am sure that many will try to help you out.

No flame intended btw
Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2004 had the engine replaced at 4,500 miles. They found metal in the oil system. The car was broken in properly, never redlined, driven daily, and never tracked. PCNA replaced under warranty.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is an old thread. it's incorrect to judge "why you need this thread?" without knowing the context.

Originally Posted by Ray S
Why don't you do us a favor and explain why you need this? What are you searching for?

This issue has been covered more than once on probably every automotive forum in existence. The results are far from scientific. Rather they turn into a collection of random gripes and encourage trolls.

I have two M96 motors and neither has failed. This proves nothing. They could fail tomorrow, or they could never fail.

Palting, you are a great contributor to this board and you certainly know how to use the search function. Tell us what you are looking for and I am sure that many will try to help you out.

No flame intended btw
Old 10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
this is an old thread. it's incorrect to judge "why you need this thread?" without knowing the context.
Sorry, I didn't realize this was old.

However, when a perfectly good search function exist "why do you need this" is a legitimate question.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
Agree.........and my apologies for resurecting the thread.....my post was more informational and this thread seemed to be the place to leave it.

Hey....Pcar engines have failed through history.....the M96 was certainly not the 1st.
I would make the observation however, that for out-of-warranty cars, engine & drive line things that we used to tear down and fix.......often today have a different suggested 'remedy' (which is almost a non-issue to you if PCNA picks up the warranty tab for a rebuilt engine......not, if you just own the car, no warranty).......hence my suggestion of the Extended.

Again.........apologies for adding to this April thread
Old 10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Sorry, I didn't realize this was old.

However, when a perfectly good search function exist "why do you need this" is a legitimate question.
It is an old thread, Ray. Might help if you read it all the way through, though . Like, here's an old post on the thread:

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have you serached Bob's posts?

In all seriousness, there was a thread several months ago just like this that had a poll breakdown in it as well. Maybe that will help guide this one a bit?
And my response, here:
Thanks for the replies so far, all.

Yup, did a search, Dell. Found a whole bunch of stuff, including that poll. I got a headache trying to weed out info that I needed. So I decided to post specifically.

Keep 'em coming!
And the answer to your question actually was posted just before your question, here:
Heh-heh . Don't get bent out of shape, 2000wrx. These incidents are few, but do get talked about a lot. I started this thread because I have had RMS replaced twice, and was wondering if it was out of the ordinary to expect a new engine under warranty if the RMS fails again. Eight months and 6,000 miles later, the new fix is still dry as a bone.
It's an old thread, and as I stated, no longer pertinent to me since the RMS fix is staying fixed. The car, as almost all 996's are, is bulletproof.

Quick Reply: Who has had engine replaced, and why?