Sponsored by:

C2 vs. C4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 06:31 AM
rarson
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C2 vs. C4?

Okay, I'm new to this board, and new to the world of 911s. First off, let me explain that I'm thinking about purchasing a new 911 within the next year or so. I first got interested in the 944 series of Porsches and recently decided to look into a 911 instead, and I've finally decided I think I like the 996 look the best. Also, I've decided that with the 320hp of the my2002 996, a normally aspirated 911 would be fast enough for me. I currently have a '97 Eclipse GSX, and with some slight mods, man that thing is fast, but I know I'm not pushing over 230 flywheel hp and the car weighs well over 3200 lbs. So I know a 996 Carrera would just KILL my car. I've ran 13.7 @ 97 mph with my car at the track, and speaking of 1/4 miles, what does the stock (my01 or earlier, 3.4L) 996 Carrera run? I would assume quite a bit faster than my time. Anyways, I read about the new lights and engine of the upcoming 996 so I decided to wait for that, and I also read in the article that's been posted to this list a couple times that the C4 will be as fast as the C2. Now, ignoring price for a moment, I would think the C2 would be faster (since it's lighter), but if the C4 is indeed just as fast, would the handling be much different from the C2? I would assume very much so, because I know from driving an AWD vehicle that they have their own unique characteristics... I wouldn't mind having another AWD car, but I really would like a RWD Porsche, I want the legendary oversteer. I want my first 911 to be a 911, darnit. Anyways, the thing is though, the really great thing about my GSX is that it's exempt from the Dynomometer or whatever they call it for emissions here in Maryland. They don't have a treadmill setup for AWD cars so they can't touch my car! If I bought a RWD Porsche, then I would have to take it up every two years to have some punk kick me out of the drivers seat and molest my 6-speed. That's the real reason I'm considering the C4. I really want a RWD but I really DON'T want to have to put my car on the dyno for emissions. I think it sucks that they force you to let your car be mishandled and abused in this state, maybe I'll move to Pennsylvania or something... So. To sum it up. Thoughts/experiences of the C4, maybe comparison to a C2. BTW I want a coupe, not a cab. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:40 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

I drive a '99 (996) c4 coupe and absolutely love it. I chose the c4 rather than c2 because of its tighter handling in turns and the flexibililty it would give me to drive the car in bad weather (including snow with snow tires which is an issue where I live). But, its not for everyone (which is why the sell both the c2 and c4). Many porsche purists would think the combintation of 4 wheel drive and PSM traction control makes it too easy to drive. Also, the incremental $4,000 expense is an issue. Frankly, the 911 is just an awesome machine (whether as a c2 or c4). Re: MY '99-01 v. MY 02, I thought seriously about buying the 02 - its getting a facelift, a little more horsepower and a special edition for the c4. However, you can pay alot less for a well maintained low milage MY '99-01 than a new '02. Its a tough call - I bet the '02 will look great though!
Old 06-20-2001, 11:44 PM
rarson
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the C4 because the flexibility is a nice thing (I've already had to drive my GSX a couple times in the snow in the past year) and I really don't want any of the idiots at the emissions place (there really are 19 year old punks that love to screw around with your car there) touching my 911. As for buying a used one, I really thought about that, that was my original plan, but by the time I actually buy the car, I will have enough money for a new C4, and I would really like to customize the color and everything to make it "mine".
Old 06-21-2001, 04:33 AM
SpeedFreak
Track Day

Cool

The C4 is handles beautifully for an AWD car. You can tell the difference from a 996 C2 and C4 however. The steering is heavier and a little less sensitive in the C4. As some driver once said, " in the best drivers’ cars, all the controls, whether light or heavy, should approximate eachother for feel and weight if a car is to feel balanced." Once you drive this car around, you will know the slightly increased steering effort needed of the Carrera 4 is still perfectly in proportion to its chassis balance and turn-in rate. In simpler terms, this car handles brillantly and you can feel the wonderful balance of the car. Your ability to exit bends taken on the limit with a whiff of safe oversteer gets quite addictive.
You need to remember, most of the time, only 5% of torque is going to the front wheels, but under more critical conditions, up to 40%. The slight increase in weight at the front helps to give the C4 better weight distribution/balance than the C2. Because of this extra bit of weight, the C4 will accelerate a tidbit slower in the dry.
The C2 and C4 are both spectacular driving machines, Its hard to go wrong with either one. Im just particularly pleased on the job Porsche did with the 996 C4's handling and drive system.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: SpeedFreak ]
Old 06-26-2001, 12:35 AM
Greg Hammond
Racer

rarson - Maryland most definitely does indeed have a AWD/4WD testing platform in every emissions test station. I should know, those $6/hr knuckleheads ran my 1997 Subaru Outback on the AWD/4WD platform just before I sold it last year.

Both the C2 and C4 are great cars. If you're going to be "power sliding" that car or taking gratuitous advantage of the horsepower, you may -want- a real wheel drive C2 over the C4. Personally, I don't get too much thrill out of spinning the back end around, but sometimes I do it -- just for fun.

Greg

87 944 Turbo
00 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Both have 300 HP. Guess which one can tow 15,000 lbs up a 6% grade at 65 MPH?

Quick Reply: C2 vs. C4?