99 996/8k miles - good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 996/8k miles - good deal?

I've put the word out to several dealerships around the country as i'm looking for an early 996/tip - and have come upon this car from a dealer - 1999 Porsche Carrera; Tiptronic Auto Transmission; Black/Savanna Beige; Aero Kit; 6 CD changer; Power Seats; Full leather; Colored wheel crests; 8,393 Miles, and Certified Porsche warranty of 2 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first) starting on the day of purchase. $44,900.

basically, its exactly what i'm looking for - although i'd love to sell my 951 first.

i'll head off to drive and look it over as soon as possible, but the numbers sound pretty good - thoughts?

thanks - the collective opinions from this list are invaluable.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:32 AM
johnnyiv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it may be in great shape as it has such low miles. I hope the miles were spread over the years. Not sure what are the specific concerns about a car that may have sat for a while. You may want to look into the particulars of that. Otherwise, it sounds quite reasonable.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:26 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

I wish I knew the particulars a little better, but yes, I would also research the concerns of buying a 7-8yo car with only 8k miles. Seriously research.

Additionally, that's quite a premium for such low mileage. I bought my 2000 (non-aero), CPO with 44k miles in Feb for $36k.

The deals are definitely out there. 2000s are also a decent bit nicer than the '99's. Less plastic on the interior, +4 hp and a few small amenities here and there. Best of luck in the search! Just remember - post pics when the time comes!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

45 for a 99 coupe even with low mileage is way to high!!.......the warranty makes it a little sweeter, but like justin mentions the interior sucksin a 99!! I have a 99 cab tip, with 55K when I bought it (last sept) and paid 42....replaced all graphite black interior parts which makes the P look a lot better and bought an extended warranty for 2k.

I have seen 996 from 99 for anywhere between 28k and 38k some with only 20k miles

and if the P has been sitting somewhere without driving for a couple of years (months) without the proper storage treatment..this isn't good for the car either....or if the P drove only 5 to 25 miles once in a while..isn't good either...low mileage isn't always good! especially when the car is older.

Than on the other hand...if you are in love with the car.....and willing the spend the money..go for it...because in the end a car is a bad investment...and purely to add joy to your life and how can you put a price on that?

Eitherway you will have a great car and you will love the way it drives, especially coming from another Porsche.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I paid 2K more for an 02 with 26K miles. The car is near perfect and well optioned. Also got the CPO for 2 years.

I think I'd keep looking. Those low miles can also be a negative.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been amazed by the number of recent posts by guys looking at MY '99 996 P-cars in the $35K to $45K range. Just for the hell of it I did a couple of searches on Edmunds.com (they pull from AutoTrader) using the following Criteria:
o Years: '99 - '03
o Model: Coupes (because of the price diff. I did not want to include Cabs)
o Price: Low = $30K, High = $45K
o Mileage: Any (meaning I did not set any min. or max.)

Here are the results that I found rather interesting.

Year --- # Cars -- Low ----- Avg. --- High
’99 ------- 214 ---- 30.5 ---- 36.8 ---- 45.0
’00 ------- 068 ---- 31.8 ---- 39.2 ---- 44.6
’01 ------- 067 ---- 34.9 ---- 41.5 ---- 45.0
’02 ------- 013 ---- 37.7 ---- 42.8 ---- 45.0
’03 ------- 001 ---- 43.9 ---- 43.9 ---- 43.9

I guess my point is this, if your search engine (the one in your mind) has selected a model year as the first criteria and then established a price range as the second criteria, you may be limiting yourself. This could have "filtered out" some newer cars in that same price range that otherwise could be valid candidates.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I paid 2K more for an 02 with 26K miles. The car is near perfect and well optioned. Also got the CPO for 2 years.

I think I'd keep looking. Those low miles can also be a negative.
i think that pretty much sums up my opinion as well...it's too much of a premium for the low miles which might not necessarily be a good thing.

this dealer (its at the Collection in Miami, btw...) is known for the mark-up - and while i do appreciate the CPO 2-year warranty, i know there are probably better cars at a lower price 'out there' - not to mention that i'd like to have my 951 sold before i dive into the next car. (in what i think will probably be a setup to a punch line, i returned the email to the dealer alerting me to this car with an inquiry about him finding me a buyer for my 951...ha - that'll happen.)

i'll go take a look at it in the next couple of days and see if they know the history, etc. and unless it realllly puts the hooks in me, i'll pass.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I personally don't think you can beat low miles. Low miles are the key.

Even if a few belts are stiff, the interior will have less wear, there should generally be a feeling of "newness" that is worth a premium IMO.

I bought my '02 in December with only 6800 miles on it - I paid a premium, but it feels like a brand new car.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
x5rap
Track Day

The car you're considering is about 8 years old. Rubber gets tired. Shock seals go bad and they leak. Low miles or no, shocks age. The motor mounts in the 996 are a nitrogen-filled rubber arrangement. The rubber in those gets old and the nitrogen leaks out. None of this is massively expensive but you should count on replacing shocks, motor mounts, hoses, and also changing the ATF in the transmission, and probably brake fluid. It's all 8 years old.

Low miles are good. In Jan-05, I bought a US '99 coupe tip with 35,100 miles (early Feb-98 build date). At 42,100 miles in Feb-06, the case went porous and oil and water intermixed. There was no catastrophic failure luckily. The intermixing of oil and water was discovered during an oil change. Luckily, I had an extended warranty and I got a new engine courtesy of Warrantech!! Lucky me! When the engine was out, the trans was serviced and the filter changed. The ATF fluid was filthy. Also, some of the rubber hoses within the coolant system are found above the trans. The only way the change them is to have the engine out. My car has been a SoCal vehicle its entire life with no track time. The car was scary to drive when I got it, so new shocks. Motor mounts were bad. They're new now. With the new engine, service trans and all rubber underneath new, its darn near new again!!

In summary, consider the age of the car overall and budget for items like shocks, motor mounts, brake fluid, hoses, and a change of ATF, eventhough it's supposed to last 100K miles. Happy motoring!!!

Quick Reply: 99 996/8k miles - good deal?