Airbag Light ON! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 12:53 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Airbag Light ON! What to do?

Hi...

I just installed a new navigation deck in my car, and the Aigbag failure message comes on. Is there anything I can do to reset it, besides taking it to the dealer?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-03-2001, 08:31 PM
Sandy
2nd Gear

As far as I know, any fault registered by the MRS Contol Unit in U.S. cars "latches" the Airbag light on until reset with a dealer's PST2.

Did you leave the key in the ignition while you were doing the nav. installation (which arms the airbag system)? It sounds like you might not have disconnected the battery while working on your installation, as is recommended.

As to the reason for the light... The MRS Control Unit sits at the bottom of the lower middle console, on the center tunnel, in front of the shift lever. Did you happen to disconnect its electrical connector for some reason during your work? Another possibility... Did you have reason to disconnect any of the airbag electrical connectors during your work, such as those in the doors (during speaker installation)? Also, did you install anything under the seats, or remove the seats, which required you to disconnect any ground connections or seat electrical connectors?

Any of the above could set an airbag fault if the battery wasn't disconnected until everything was back together.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:36 PM
cooper996
Instructor

The problem is possibly with the sensor in the seat belt. The 996 has a 2 speed airbag deployment. If you are not wearing your seatbelt, the airbag deploys faster the if you are wearing a belt. The computer scans the seat belt sensor periodically to if you have the belt clicked in. Porsche has had problems with the sensor. I had mine replaced twice before it was fixed.The problem causes the Airbag warning light to come on, it does not mean there is a problem with the airbag (usually). I would suggest taking it to the dealership and have them fix it under warranty.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:10 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

If they had to remove either of your seats then the light will come on. And it can not be reset unless you go to the dealer. I switch between the GT3 seats and my regular seats 3-4 times a year..I have to have it reset everytime. It is the plug that is under the seat, if it is disconnected while the battery is hooked-up then you get the light!

Quick Reply: Airbag Light ON! What to do?