996 Sunroof Delete Option

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Roger R
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 996 Sunroof Delete Option

Ok,

I've decided I can't live without a 2002+ 996 Carrera 2.

I looked at several cars including Boxster's, 993's and 1999,2000 Carrera's.

My problem is a don't seem to fit in anything but the 2002 model and even that's tight.

Ok maybe it's my problem being 6' 7" and 300lbs

So in the interests of more headroom, what are the pro's and con's with the sunroof delete option.

Should I worry about resale ? Is it really a "no cost" option ? Will the order take longer ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 03-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard deleting the sunroof will add some headroom. It will detract from resale value by several grand (? 3-5k). But if it's the only way you can fit then it isn't an issue.

BTW, you might consider adding after-market sports seats (not Porsche but Recaro or something like that) to lower your body and provide more headroom.

I think a cabrio (with the top up) might have more headroom than a coupe but I'm not 100% sure. I'm 6'2" and have a ton of headroom in my Boxster with the top up.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:49 PM
grungyspeed
Instructor

I think a cab will give you plenty of room with the seat all the way down. I'm 6'4" but usually have a ton of trouble with the height of the roof. I guess I have a tall upper body. The cab fits great with plenty of headroom.

As far as I know the sunroof is a no cost option, your car will be lighter and better at the track. There are people that want the no sunroof cars. It may just take you a little longer to find a buyer at sale time.

The non sunroof option gives you about 1.5 inches also.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Speed
Pro

Re: deleting the sun roof: I recall someone on this board a few months ago relating that his dealer demanded an extra-large deposit for ordering a car without the sun roof supposedly because of the added difficulty in selling the car if the buyer reneged. I also think the delivery time might be longer because the car might have to be taken out of the production line
Old 03-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

I discussed this with my local Porsche dealer, Champion in Pompano Beach, FL. They might want an extra couple of grand up front right before the build order goes through. The weren't sure but thought a worse case scenario would be an extra month delay.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:56 PM
RogerJ
Instructor

Not only does the sunroof take up an inch and a half for headroom, they are also quite heavy. This weigh is, of course, in the worst possible place. If one is serious about handling, they would delete the sunroof.

As far as resale goes, I often wonder if the dealers who tell you that the resale is thousands less have ever really tested the market. What is they get a tall buyer? Wouldn't the car sell better?
Old 03-16-2002, 02:03 AM
Roger R
Track Day

Talking

Thanks for the Replies,

I also sat in a cabrio. With the top up it had plenty of head room, but I was looking right at the top of the window. It was like having the sun shades down all the time.

I have looked through many classified adds and the cars at several dealers. I never once found one without a sunroof, so they would seem to be quite rare.

According to one dealer the inside of a non-sunroof car is basically the same as the Targa model with the top closed and the sunshade retracted. I sat in one and I had plenty of headroom.

Of course, when we put the top down, by head smacked into the front edge of the glass (ouch).

Thanks Again,

Roger
Old 03-16-2002, 02:05 AM
Roger R
Track Day

Talking

Thanks for the Replies,

I also sat in a cabrio. With the top up it had plenty of head room, but I was looking right at the top of the window. It was like having the sun shades down all the time.

I have looked through many classified adds and the cars at several dealers. I never once found one without a sunroof, so they would seem to be quite rare.

According to one dealer the inside of a non-sunroof car is basically the same as the Targa model with the top closed and the sunshade retracted. I sat in one and I had plenty of headroom.

Of course, when we put the top down, by head smacked into the front edge of the glass (ouch).

Thanks Again,

Roger
Old 03-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Always a question whether ordering an "oddball" car like one without a sunroof will decrease resale value. Many people say they never open the suntop, but didn't delete it because of resale value concerns!! So the suntop leads a life of it's own adding weight, expense and decreased headroom.

Reminds me of when I ordered a Mercedes 300E 5 speed in 1986. The dealer thought I would never sell it. Turned out not to be the case, the service writer at the dealer bought it when I sold it 2 years ago!! I had casually mentioned to the service writer this would be it's last service because it was for sale, he said he'd take it. Never had to place an ad. I bet suntops are the same, my new Mercedes has no suntop, special order.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Chris CT 996
Intermediate

FWIW, I found the '02 coupe to have less headroom than my current '00 (both have sunroofs). I'm just under 6'1" and found it tight even w/ the seat as low as possible.

I've considered ordering an '02 w/o the sunroof, but find that I enjoy the "tilt" feature which raises the back portion of the sunroof.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No sunroof is the way to go, IMHO.

Here's an interesting list of some reasons why you MIGHT want to delete the sunroof...

<a href="http://www184.pair.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/cfg986/996/main.pl?read=93761#" target="_blank">Sunroof delete option discussion</a>
Old 03-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

I don't like sunroofs but, regarding the link above:

It is not going to make the car a collectible and, while admitting I'm not a structural engineer, find it hard to believe that hole which I don't think is large really compromises the structural rigidity to a degree that one would be affected by it. (We're not talkin Sebring SSCA I assume).
Old 03-27-2002, 02:02 AM
Roger R
Track Day

Cool

Last week I was working in the South Bay, San Francisco. I decided to stop by the local Porsche dealer to ask about ordering a car without a Sunroof.

The salesman indicated they had ordered "many" cars for taller customers without a sunroof. He offered to let me sit in a car without one.

Turned out to be one of the two GT2's they had in the showroom. Yup, the lack of sunroof does give about 1.5 inches of headroom.

I did notice that the price on the GT2 was a little strange. It had a dealer "markup" of 1/3 the price of the car making the sticker price $250,000. Seemed a little excessive...

They told me they could order a car at MSRP with $1000 to hold my spot in their allocation.

They he told me that I would need to give them 20,000 cash non-refundable to start the build

He indicated that this was non-negotiable since if I didn't accept delivery they wouldn't be able to sell the car without a sunroof.

So is this normal ??

20K cash non-refundable to start the build ??

Roger
Old 03-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

What a bunch of nonsense. That dealership should be nuc'd.

At Champion* in Pompano Beach, FL (800-940-4020) I inquired about the delete sunroof. They discouraged it but if I wanted it, they would need the usual $1k down plus an additional $3k or something like that. It was very reasonable.

And that GT-2? Was it used? What an absurd mark up.

*I don't work there and my only connection with them is that I have bought only one car from them and will very likely order my 996 from them this weekend. I think there many more reasonable dealers than the scum that you encountered
Old 03-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had no problem ordering a Turbo with the sunroof delete option--no extra fee/deposit required and my $1000 deposit was fully refundable.

Quick Reply: 996 Sunroof Delete Option