obvious reason why no LSD on 996s?

Old 06-26-2002, 10:41 PM
spinning disc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoa!

got more than i bargained for here.

thanks for the feedback, guys.

i am a "wuss" and got PSM just to have it; in the 02 eye candy book at the dealer, it still says it's defeatable if wanted.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 PM
willwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 996 C4, and the C4S, the VC, viscous clutch/coupling, is in line with the drive shift to the front diff'l. VC's typically take hundreds of milliseconds to react to disparate rotational rates of the two "input" shafts, It takes a period of time for the fluid to heat up due to the turbulence created by the disparate rotational rates of the two sets of clutch plates. The actual attack rate of the increase in coupling coefficient is a function of the expansion rate of the viscous fluid due to rising temperature.

LSD has now become a useless anackronisom(sp, sorry)

The VC can route up to 45% of the engine torque to the front diff'l but it is left to the PSM to do the job (by modulating a front brake) if left to right or right to left disparate torque distribution is needed.

Oh, palting, the "gyro" you speak of is actually a solid state "lateral" accelerometer, lateral in this case meaning mounted at 90 degrees to the normal direction of travel. Typically referred to as a yaw sensor. A yaw sensor in an airplane is used to detect that the airframe is not alligned with the current direction of travel.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:04 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Ed

The instructors at PDE said the exact opposite.

the said for certain maneuvers, it's very fast, like tight "boxes". If the drivers know how to use it, it's the quick way thru.

I thought it would interfere, but was amazed by it.

besides, you can turn it off.

The cars felt very quick with it, and didn't slide the way my 993 will.

M in C

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: obvious reason why no LSD on 996s?