996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RH side rear fog light

Old 06-23-2002, 07:45 PM
flaw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RH side rear fog light

I understand this has been posted somewhere before, but my question is slightly different. The RH side rear fog is not functional in the US/German version of the car, but in UK they work. When you look at the rear light assembly, the socket for the RH side rear fog light is there already, with a bulb and wires going into the harness, ready to go.

My question is, rather than splicing a wire from the LH side fog light power wire to the RH side, is there a simpler way to just activate whats already there?

2002 C4S
Old 06-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, not that I am aware of.
The empty light socket wiring goes to a harness on the passenger side of the car under the passemger side rear seat/side panel and to a gang connector. It stops there. You would need to run a wire from this gang connector through the interior wiring harness under the passenger side door sill and then up to the fuse panel. Finally from the fuse panel up to the light switch on the dash.

I've looked at it and it's a great deal of trouble. (IMHO of course)
Old 06-23-2002, 09:06 PM
flaw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loren

Maybe its because mine is a Canadian car, but the socket I have on the RH side is not empty. It actually has a bulb and everyting in it, seeming ready to go. Its temptingly easy looking. But if I have have to do all that and run a wire to the fuse box, I think I'd rather forget it
Old 06-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
US cars I've seen have the socket no bulb. But I've looked at the wiring for the same reason as you. My understanding is that the US and Canadian cars share the same wire harness (at least according to the Porsche Technical Manual schematics). The Canadian cars have at least one different relay (for daytime running lights) but most everything else looks the same.

It is a lot of work just to get to the connector in the back rear seat area but you are welcome to try... perhaps they did something different on the '02's?

I decided it wasn't worth my time
Old 06-24-2002, 12:47 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Not terribly bright.

In the UK they drive on the other side of the road, thus a "fog" light (only) on the right is more PC.

If you light up both "fog" lights your're going to get a lot of people assuming you're riding the brakes, some will even likely pull up alongside in traffic to tell you so.

Until rear "fog" lights become more common, or standard, in the US I don't think there is any good answer except to not use them at all.

First one I saw in the US was on a prototype ML and I thought he had a wiring flaw.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the bulb in the RH socket is just the spare bulb for the left side...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RH side rear fog light