Extended warranties in CA ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
siddharth
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended warranties in CA ?

Hi guys,

I bought my 99 996 2 months back from a luxury car dealership (not CPO from porsche) and bought an extended warranty thru the dealer from a warranty company that refuses to acknowledge most claims (passing those below my deductible). The porsche dealer whom I go to for service was baffled and passed off the warranty as a scam. He recommended his own 3rd party offering but that is more expensive for 1/2 the duration.

So my fellow porsche mates ... what warranty companies would you guys recommend ? Some details about what I'm trying to cover ...

A 1999 996 C2 in great condition
55Kmiles
San Deigo, California address.

What I have :
cost : $3000
4years/48,0000 miles warranty
only listed parts covered (literally ONLY what parts are listed!!!)
even thought I have "platinum" that list is crap.
$100 deductible
greaseball warranty agents

What I'm looking for
cost : around $3000 (+/- ~$1000)
4 years / 48,000 miles (or better)
more comprehensive in coverage that what I currently have
$100 deductible (0 is better though!)

I've already had to change the coolant tank (cracked) and did this on my own ($190 - sunset porsche) since it wasn't covered by the extended warranty.

Please guys - give me some good suggestions ! These extended warranty agents are a f***ing pain to deal with ... I need a ride in the 911 after talking to them to get it out of my system !

Sid

PS: I'm aware wear and tear isin't covered ... I'm not bitching about them not covering that.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting a refund of the warranty you already bought? If so, just keep your money and don't bother with a warranty. With $3k, you'll probly come out ahead doing repairs yourself unless you end up with a bad engine or tranny. Like you said, most warranty are useless when it comes to big claims like an engine replacement. They'll use some excuse and you'll have to take them to court while the car sits.

BTW, CPO doesn't pay for the coolant tank either I don't think. Coverage is spotty and you are screwed if something major comes up anyways.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:42 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Easy Care.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/246784-extending-the-warranty.html
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 AM
jbettenc
AutoX

I purchased my extended warranty thru my dealer (bought the car from an independent) and they used First Extended Service Corporation. I had great luck with mine... I really think it depends on the dealer and how they push the warranty service to comply. I bought mine through Claridge's Porsche here in the Bay Area. 0 Deductible and 75,000 miles... I think I paid around $2500 to 2800 for the warranty... lasted three years.

JB
Old 03-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I bought a ext warranty from the exotic warranty company, but they are not allowed to write any contracts in CA because of the new law here and in FL.....I paid 2K...and anything major will be more than 2K...so keeping the 3K in your pocket .....if your engine blows?? It is almost like saying don't take health insurrance..just my 2cts
Old 03-27-2006, 05:02 PM
siddharth
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I bought a ext warranty from the exotic warranty company, but they are not allowed to write any contracts in CA because of the new law here and in FL.....I paid 2K...and anything major will be more than 2K...so keeping the 3K in your pocket .....if your engine blows?? It is almost like saying don't take health insurrance..just my 2cts
Ooops ... I replied accidentally to the older thread I was reading after searching. Sorry, wanted to reply here.

1) So, I called up exotic warranty but didn't get any quotes. They said they'd call me back later (?). I'm ready to wait.

2) EasyCare doesn't cover vehicles out of the original warranty. They flat out told me sorry. Anyway, thanks for that pointer Nick !

3) Anyone heard good stuff about warranty4wheels ? I'm getting good vibes over the phone, but maybe they're just slick. Good feedback anyone ?

4) The company I'm getting out from is "IAP" Integrity automotive protection. They suck.

I'm trying to cover expenses more than $3k ... like engine and transmission. Even if I invest the money in something like stocks, it won't grow from $3k to $8k for a new engine in 3 years ! For small stuff, I do it on my own. So I'm kinda sold on getting a warranty - different school of thought !

cheers !
Sid
Old 03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Warrantydirect.com or warrantywarehouse.com - one of them covers Porsche, the other does not. I don't know anyone who uses them, but I have heard decent 3rd hand stories.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:51 AM
siddharth
Track Day

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Warrantydirect.com or warrantywarehouse.com - one of them covers Porsche, the other does not. I don't know anyone who uses them, but I have heard decent 3rd hand stories.
Thanks gravedgr, but
  • warrantydirect.com doesn't cover 1999 Porsches in CA. No boxster, no 911 !! In texas (just for kicks), they cover the boxster, but still no 911 unless its 2002+.
  • warrantywarehouse.com doesn't cover Porsches at all !
In any case, I appreciate your input - thanks. I found out another company today ... "service shield" ... any comments anyone ?

To recap, the contenders so far are ...
  1. exoticwarranty
  2. warranty4wheels
  3. service shield
  4. IAP (what I'm already in).
I'm noticing that the contract coverage between "warranty4wheels" and "integrity automotive protection" is very similar. I've yet to read "service shield" carefully (just got the contract faxed 3 mins back) and still waiting on "exotic warranty" to get back to me.(wondering ... if I have to wait to give them money, I wonder how long I'll need to wait when I make a claim !!).

Sid
Old 03-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I got the warranty thru a broker: Hall Moses out of NY.....autoadvantage.com this is his phone number 914-962-3535
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 AM
x5rap
Track Day

Warrantech just bought me a new M96 engine for my '99 tip coupe! No real drama at all. I am third owner of the car. The 2nd owner put on the extended coverage while the car was still under factory warranty. The plan he bought allowed a one-time transfer. That was me!

The guy at Warrantech knew all about the early 996 engine cases "going porous" and having oil and water intermix. He knew the part numbers for the engine and related parts by heart. He'd seen the problem a time or two or ten...

Quick Reply: Extended warranties in CA ?