Sponsored by:

Bluetooth kit install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:38 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Bluetooth kit install questions

Okay guys, I'm ditching the voice component of my T-Mobile blackberry and picking up a separate voice phone (Verizon or Cingular). I would really like to consider the bluetooth phones and a hands-free kit for the 996, as driving/shifting/dialing/answering are not good combos.

1) What is your experience with road noice - can you hear the caller, can they hear you? Every time my wife gets on the phone, it's a constant "What? Oh that noise? Its just the car/road."

2) I understand the OEM kit only has a single phone choice? Is this right? I did some searching and got good reviews of the Sony Ericsson HCB kit.

3) Does anyone know of any installers in Atlanta? Someone you would trust to install a 3rd party (non-OEM) kit? Having seen the kids working at the local electronic megastores, I would rather not leave my car in their hands.

TIA!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:31 AM
rch314
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just asked the same question

I am currently looking into installing a Motorola hands free kit for a 2001 996 Cab and was wondering the same thing. According to the installer I am talking to he has it in his cab and he says it works great. I'm going to check it out and let you know what I find out.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:55 AM
David Grainger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi people - this thread might be useful:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/220305-mot-hf-850-bluetooth-install-anyone.html

Cheers
David Grainger
Canberra, Australia
Old 03-12-2006, 05:35 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Just a question. Why do people prefer a car kit vs. a blue tooth earpiece????? Just FYI, if you do get a earpiece, do NOT wear it all day when you're not on the phone.... you look like a LOSER!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 AM
krisd
Instructor

I have installed the Motorola IHF1000 in my 99 cab. It works great and I have it connected to the factory stereo for the speakers. I mounted the microphone above the rear view mirrow right next to where the convertible top latches to the windshield frame. The sound is great with the top up and just OK with the top down. I also tried the Moto 850 HF kit and it was a POS. The 1000 has very good voice recognition and will announce the number of incoming calls over the speaker.

As for the in car kit vs the headset, I really enjoy listening to music while driving, but also not missing calls. So having the kit connected to the radio works great.

Here is picture of where I installed the controller.

Kris
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2006, 02:06 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Aww, that makes sense. Nicely done.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:19 PM
svenjamin
4th Gear

Where did you guys mount the bluetooth receiver in your vehicles?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I personally use a aliph jawbone bluetooth headset. Its incredible its designed using military technology to completely block out background noise by emphasizing jaw vibration and others hear you crystal clear. Its about 80-100 bucks but worth every cent! Do a search there are many demos on this!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the motorola hf1000 (just upgraded from the HF850) found new in box through an online liquidator for $69 and it works great. Very easy DIY install: phone prep connector is behind the cubby hole/cd holder area. I used quick tap wire connectors to hook it up and tucked the main unit under the dash in the passenger area. Snaked the mic cable up the a pillar and around the windshield to position it near the sunroof switch. I didn't have to remove any trim whatsoever; just use a plastic spoon or a dulled awl to tuck it in. If you get the becker connector, you can have the phone play through your audio system instead of using the bulky speaker provided.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth kit install questions