Sponsored by:

Very close call this morning

Old 01-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Very close call this morning

Had a very close call this morning on the way to work. I was traveling on 60 west bound on the 2nd lane going about 50 mph before the connection to 57 south and a Ford Aerostar van on the right side was hit by anther car and then lost control right in front me and nailed the pick up truck that was ahead of me and sent one of the rear wheel of the truck flying down the middle of the freeway going at leat 40 mph. There was sparks flying everywhere as the truck was grinding on the axle.

I slammed on the brake firing off all 4 ABS and brought my car into a complete stop. While all the car were still moving uncontrollably from the impact I decided to get myself out of that mess. So I floored the gas and took off.

As I took off I watched as that one tire that was sent off flying was still going and going down the freeway and finally crashed into another car!

Even hours after, I still couldn't believe it! I was about 15 feet away from all the mangle mess that happened right in front of me.

Last edited by Robin 993DX; 01-03-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing is everything, glad your O.K
Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you came out of the incident unscathe. Good driving!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Robin,

Nice to hear from you! and good to know that you avoided that mess!
I think of those incidents and you really will never know when its going to happen. Seems like when you least expect it.

I've been to a couple of DEs and I thought they really prepared me for emergency maneuvers... the other day in my truck, it was raining hard, I went to pass a slow car(driving slow on the fats lane) on the right, while well within the speed limit, next thing I see is this flooded right lane that I'm already commited on... next thing I feel, the truck is floating, rear swinging to the right, stability alarm going off like siren(instead of calming me down to concentrate, those damn alarms rattled me instead ) I see all the traffic behind me stoped to avoid me. Luckily that stability/traction control was not just an anoying beeping alarm. It actually worked faster than my reflex to straighen the truck back. It did it for me before I could do anything.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Robin: Glad to hear you're all good! And what a way to start the first week of '06!!!. Considering this is past you, looks to me like you'll have a great year ahead!

Cheers.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Glad you're OK Robin.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Damn Fords, falling to **** all around us...

I know that stretch of road, glad you're OK - good thinking to goose it and get out of there. I'm always worried that the guy behind me can't stop as fast as I can.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
JoeTanto
Instructor

Glad you're o.k.!! Great braking. Great acceleration. Gotta love these cars.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, funny I didn't even realize that this is the start of a new year. I guess what a way to start! The guy behind me was a motorcycle, he was following my every move. LOL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very close call this morning