996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

coolant smell

Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 AM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant smell

i parked next to a 996 the other day and there was a small amount of anti freeze under his car and a smell like it was going to over heat or something.this happened to my boxster s ,but it was coming off lease and was not under warranty,so i never had it looked at.
is this a major problem that contributes to engine failure? can someone please(in dummy terms)explain this and is there any relation to this and rms..
is it that risky to buy a 996 without warranty?i have a 3.2...it is like a tank.little things have gone but so far nothing to be concered about.
thanks,j
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people die at twenty some live to a hundred. Cars are the same.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's a somewhat common problem on the 996. It is typically the coolant expansion tank, I think there was actually a TSB on it, but I might be wrong. Either way, it happened to me and it has happened to many other people on the forum.

Is it risky, well there are definitly risks on buying a car off warranty. I think you can minimize these risks by doing a fair bit of reaserch on the car before had. Never buy a car that you don't know the history on. If the dealer says he will not provide the service records, then walk away, there are tons of other cars out there. Also, don't assume that the PPI will find all the problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant smell