Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The best part about driving a porsche is......

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:57 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the smile it puts on my face - weather it's zipping down a back road, sitting in traffic, seeing the look on the kids' faces or stareing at it in the garage in the middle of winter. It's a sense of accomplishment.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 AM
CarlosR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the first year or two when I drove my Pcar, the grin on my face was so wide that sometimes I'd have to remind myself to look more serious, or people would think I was high. (Which I was, just not on drugs.)

Then there was the time I was seated next to a precocious 10 year old girl on an airplane, who was reading a car mag and really into cars. I chatted with her about some cars, but didn't say anything about my ride. Finally, she asked me what I drove. When I told her, she yelled out, as loud as she could to her father, who was seated accross the aisle: "DADDY, HE DRIVES A PORSCHE!!". I was both proud and also somewhat embarassed, as I have no doubt a good part of the folks on the plane heard her yelling and making a fuss.

But probably the very best part, IMHO, is taking it on the track. With some decent tires and a good suspension, it is just amazing what the car will do, and I'm not the greatest driver. But driving the right line at high speed and seeing the car repeatedly deliver amazing handling and braking -- well, that's a high that's hard to beat.

=Carlos=
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Not only the young kids.

When parking at the super market or similar, LOTS of the male population in the 30-40 range come up and look at the car with that special grin on their face.

Best thing (if I'm in the mood) is to let them sit in the car. Its almost a second xmas for them, and I know that most of them will never sit in a 911 again.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:02 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just like the speed and cabriolet since it's as close as I will get to riding a Sport Bike.

Originally Posted by dmac
....the look I see on young boys' faces when I drive by.

The boys (about 7-12 years old) seem to just light up like they just saw Santa on his sleigh on Christmas eve when I drive by. They smash their faces against the window with eyes wide open to get a closer look. Then they turn and tell their mom or dad who usually seem to be rather disinterested. Most of the time their jaw just drops as I slowly drive by and give a polite wave.

I was this young boy once.

I really don't like any attention, but this has happened several times and it always brings a big smile to my face and makes me feel like a kid again.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
peachboy
Racer

The best part..is driving such a good, well design, well executed, road hugging machine.
I really whish that I could put up a shield that made my car look like a beater, would put away some of the unwanted attention.

The worst part...the unwanted attention...and I do not mean by strangers but more from familly, friend and neighbour....kinda screw the "lets live low-key" message. Oh well......
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jedier
The feeling of kinship when crossing another P-car owner in traffic and getting a wave back: this only happened to me once before with my Golf GTi but never since and never as often as now.
Of course, the occasional Porsche driver will wave back or flash the brights, but the interaction between driver's is even more common amongst motorcyclists. I ride a sportbike and a cruiser and just about every bike that ever passes me going in the other direction waves to me (and vice versa).

The point is, there is a kinship among men that results from the shared pursuit of passions. And that passion is not much higher than that gained by enthusiasts driving sports cars or riding motorcycles.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Couple of things:

Best part about driving a Porsche - The therapy. High stress job, family, mortgage - nothing beats taking the long way home. Also, Rennlist - it's simply the best auto community, period.

Second, for LiveNupe, are you nuts? That Trans Am was BADASS - I dreamed of that car for years - remember, we're talking 1977, so that was pretty much king of the mountain. I'm not sure I'd buy one now, but I don't wear Jordache jeans or bell bottoms either!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
c4bliss
Racer

So many good points listed! Just owning one, and going into the garage and seeing it sitting there..the therapy point is another good one. Nothing expels a bad day then a nice twisty road and the top down! And then of course, sitting at a "insert coffee shop of choice" having a cup of brew and watching people stare at it! And compliment it with "wow, nice Ferrari!"
Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

.....you can drive the **** out of the car and its still begging for more.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
peachboy
Racer

what a concept...a sports car you can actual drive !!! Somehow the Italian (cars that is) are all show, no action.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

As many have already mentioned, it's seeing the admiration from the kids that takes you back to when you were the same age. It's that connection you feel between adulthood and childhood, and the realization of a dream-come-true. When I was 10, a resident in my neighborhood had a 911SC, and I would always take the long way home from school (on a bicycle) just so I could pass by his house to stare at it on his driveway. I would literally just sit across the street for hours before finally going home. My mom knew of my obsession, so she let me have my pleasure and never rushed me home. The smile on my face said it all.

Now I see that same beaming smile on my 4-year-old's face.

Last edited by Ucube; 12-29-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:33 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

...is being able to take my 13 year old son along for rides. I saw my first 911 when I was 13 and wanted my dad to get one. It was deemed impractical at the time, so I waited 34 years before I got my first Porsche. Now my son's mantra is "never pass up an opportnity to go for a ride".
Old 12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

I certainly agree with most of you about the kids but for me its the "feeling" I get when driving Porsche Cars. I got it while driving my 951S and now my 996 as well.
Just recently I drove a new Corvette C6 just for giggles. It was not the Z06 just standard vette and it was in one word FAST. It "felt" like it would run circles around my 996 and it would push you into the seat under acceleration. BUT after 5 minutes of this I was bored a bit, sure it was fast but it was missing something. I cant quite explain what that something is but my 996 has it and it has alot of it!!!
It has nothing to do what others think of my car or how it looks or the price paid. It has everything to do with taking it out after having a rough day in the office and driving the hell out of it and the big smile that it gives me.....
Old 12-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
The therapy session it provides after a long crappy day!
Indeed!... And the "Zen space" it provides on your way to starting a long crappy day! Way cheaper than a shrink!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

I've had a lot of kids notice my car too. It can be a good feeling. My best story is that I was driving through a small town not too far from my house and drove past two nine to ten year old boys in my C4S. They hop on their bike and start 'booking' down the sidewalk next to the street I was on to catch up to me. I get stopped at a red light and they pull up along side and motion for me to put my window down. One says 'nice car!' the other says 'do you have a girlfriend?' I was really thrown by the second question and asked him why he wanted to know. He said 'I don't know...' lol

Quick Reply: The best part about driving a porsche is......