Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My experience with the best bang for the buck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Cameron D
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My experience with the best bang for the buck!

I have every modification imaginable on my car. Of all the things I did the cheapest and most cost effective way to make your car more fun if you drive hard is the strut tower brace. 250$$ Gemballa
Old 12-20-2001, 03:50 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by Cameron D:
<STRONG>I have every modification imaginable on my car. Of all the things I did the cheapest and most cost effective way to make your car more fun if you drive hard is the strut tower brace. 250$$ Gemballa</STRONG>
That's interesting! The 996 does not need a strut tower brace because the towers are already joined together by the firewall. How is it that adding a bar makes such a difference?
Old 12-20-2001, 04:32 PM
roschpe
Advanced

Cameron,

What did the headers, cats and ecu map gfive you?

I already have the GT3 headers installed in mine...I am getting the headers from Porsche Motorsport installed and the lighter (8lbs) flywheel installed in my car..The new flywheel is the reason i am getting the ECU remapped...
Old 12-20-2001, 05:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
I have a question for Roschpe-did the headers produce a significant difference? And also with reference to the flywheel what brand would u be using since when the new year comes by i plan to do a few things. Already did the b&m shifter/fabspeed cold air flow unit/ fabspeed exhaust wo headers(still deciding on the headers). Ne info would be appreciated. take care and happy holidays!!!!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:23 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Viken: Please don't say anything to hurt the auto enhancement aftermarket. Strut tower braces add up to 15 hp. Remember, if the aftermarket slumps, the terrorists win.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:17 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>

That's interesting! The 996 does not need a strut tower brace because the towers are already joined together by the firewall. How is it that adding a bar makes such a difference?</STRONG>
Actually, if you look closely under the hood of a 996 you'll see that it has a factory installed strut brace. I was duped into buying a strut brace earlier this year and when I went to install it was very surprised that I had to first remove the factory brace.

It isn't a typical brace that runs across the trunk between the strut towers. But there are reinforcing metal rods that connect the strut towers to the firewall. The only difference with the strut brace that I bought was that instead of two separate rods individually tying the shock towers to the firewall, the aftermarket brace was one piece, connecting the two rods together at the firewall.

I don't have any data but I doubt this makes much difference. Given the strut towers are already connected to the firewall, it's unlikely you can improve much on the rigidity. The aftermarket bars (not Gemballa) I bought were also slightly thicker than the OEM bars but the handling change was absolutely NOT noticeable by me on the track.

IMO wheels and tires give you much more of a significant difference in handling than a strut brace will.

Karl
Old 12-20-2001, 11:27 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jim,*rotflmao*. I was at work when i read your reply!!! my coworkers thought i had lost my mind, i was laughing soooo hard...

Quick Reply: My experience with the best bang for the buck!