Sponsored by:

PCMII goes silent

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCMII goes silent

I had the PSE installed with the electronics. The switch was installed on left side of the dash next to the PCMII system. The CD player/radio worked fine for about a day after the install.

The next day, the PCMII system would switch on, and the display worked, however there was no sound from the unit (like no signal/power to the amp).
Could the PSE install have loosened a connection to the amp? This is on an '03 C4S with MOST. I leave the system running while driving the car, and at one point, while idling, the sound came back for a couple of minutes only to mute itself again. I mentioned this problem to the speedshop that installed the PSE and they claim that it's unlikely to be a loose conection since there's a wiring harness connecting the unit, and the PCM obviously had power going to it. Could the fiber optic cable get pinched?

Anyway, I mentioned this to the service manager at my dealer and he said that there was a problem with many PCM systems where the sound would cut in and out. He mentioned that it's usually not the amp and the PCMII system itself which had to be replaced. Anyone experience this before?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I've had the stereo/Nav cut out for a day and then work again the next day. I had to reprogram the radio presets when it started working again. I've had no problems for six months. I keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:00 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the fiber gets bent at too extreme of an angle it will cause errors. Pretty much the only way to know is with a systems tester. However, there have been problems with the BOSE amps cutting out sound but the PCM will still have the full display.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Bose amplifier 'no audio' condition normally occurs only at startup. It can be 'reset' by shutting the car off and waiting 3-5 minutes for the MOST ring to power down. The issue has been addressed in recent S/W updates (dealer can do this via CDROM or PIWIS).
The Becker headunit also has issues and is the subject ot service actions/ software updates as well.
Your dealer should be able to sort it out straightaway.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Sorry. Forgot to mention that I have the HIFI not BOSE.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jury_ca
Sorry. Forgot to mention that I have the HIFI not BOSE.
Then it's your headunit.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Just as a follow-up: Dealer replaced the Harmann Kardon amp and everything is back to normal.

Thanks guys.

I hate how the stereo remains on when you start the car, the voltage dip can't be good for it. So I try to remember to turn it off before shutting down the car.

Quick Reply: PCMII goes silent