Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   OT The price of the Z06 was just released (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/209473-ot-the-price-of-the-z06-was-just-released.html)

fast1 06-13-2005 04:48 PM

OT The price of the Z06 was just released

The base price is $65K with just a few options. A decently equipped Z06 will sell for under $70K.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...entid=47582023

Itzkirb 06-13-2005 04:52 PM

WOW!

Eli K 06-13-2005 05:05 PM

very reasonable...

TT Gasman 06-13-2005 07:04 PM

It's a steal. Porsche....are you listening?

fast1 06-13-2005 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJ 996
It's a steal. Porsche....are you listening?

Most car companies aren't in the position of charging what the market will bear price like Porsche can. Unfortunately I doubt that the Z06 will compel Porsche to change its pricing philosophy. As long as Porsche enthusiasts are willing to pay a premium for the Porsche marque, Porsche will be more than happy to accomododate them.

P-Car fanatic 06-13-2005 07:59 PM

not to sound harsh but Z06 pricing is irrelavent to Porsche.

a base carrera in the Uk costs the equivilent of $110k fot the last few years - porsche has not seen the need to change anything

its like comparing a hyundai to a BMW, yes they may both have 4 wheels, leather interior and do 0 - 60 in 7.5 seconds but they are not in the same class

track times to 95% of buyers are not a factor at all.

I for one would rather slit my wrists than own a 'domestic' US car

to put it in context, I moved here from europe and I am appalled at the difference in quality between domestic 'USA' cars and domestic 'UK' cars

:icon107:

Holger B 06-13-2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by fast1
Most car companies aren't in the position of charging what the market will bear price like Porsche can. Unfortunately I doubt that the Z06 will compel Porsche to change its pricing philosophy. As long as Porsche enthusiasts are willing to pay a premium for the Porsche marque, Porsche will be more than happy to accomododate them.

If you're stricly looking for a track car, it'd likely be hard to beat the new Z06 for value. If you throw quality into the equation, I for one can see how Porsches command more money as I've yet to experience a Vette that I'd take over my P-car. :icon107:

Sanjeevan 06-13-2005 08:00 PM

WOW, indeed....

1AS 06-13-2005 08:17 PM

Where does the "quality" factor get impacted by RMS leaks?
65K is an excellent value. When I bought my 02X50, the ZO6 was a close loser. This was based on a somewhat cramped (for me) interior, that was too Generic Cavalier, and performance that was excellent but not exhilarating. The C6 interior is much improved (but still less appealing than Porsche), and the new ZO6 engineering and power seem to be worlds ahead. This time, I'd make the opposite decision. For the price of a tt, one could get a ZO6 plus a one year old 996 etc. AS

fahren affair 06-13-2005 08:21 PM

not to sound harsh but Z06 pricing is irrelavent to Porsche.

a base carrera in the Uk costs the equivilent of $110k fot the last few years - porsche has not seen the need to change anything

what's relavent about porsche prices in the Uk to a $65k z06? thank god i live here and not there.

I for one would rather slit my wrists than own a 'domestic' US car

to put it in context, I moved here from europe and I am appalled at the difference in quality between domestic 'USA' cars and domestic 'UK' cars

the last british cars i've had experience with were the land rover discovery and jaguar xjs--considering their cost and reputation--they both were pretty appalling in durability and quality terms, but i wouldn't make blanket statements that all british cars suck. :bigbye:

P-Car fanatic 06-13-2005 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by fahren affair
to put it in context, I moved here from europe and I am appalled at the difference in quality between domestic 'USA' cars and domestic 'UK' cars[/B]

the last british cars i've had experience with were the land rover discovery and jaguar xjs--considering their cost and reputation--they both were pretty appalling in durability and quality terms, but i wouldn't make blanket statements that all british cars suck. :bigbye:

the XJS finished production in 1991 - not sure a car 14 years out of production is a valid comparison. The discovery is regarded as farm machinery in the UK, from comments from my friends here it seems the 'disco' is a luxury vechicle here - very bizzare.

I've driven pretty much every GM/FORD/Chrysler car over the last 3 years - every single one is appalling compared to euro cars made by GM/FORD

price in america is key which is why lexus has been a successful luxury brand and the infinite Q45 beats the audi A6, Merc E-class and BMW 5 series in the latest car and driver sports sedan test, and why hyundai is a reasonable brand here and not a joke like in the UK

kilrgt 06-13-2005 08:42 PM

No matter how good the car could be, it will always wear a chevy badge. I for one will pay more for the Porsche crest...............HANDS DOWN............

leedav 06-13-2005 09:00 PM

It's a matter of positioning, as defined in marketing terms. A corvette will always be a corvette, and aside from enthusiasts who may buy it on "objective" criteria, such as pure performance analysis, people buy cars b/c of market position.

Call it stereotyping if you like, but you all have an image of the corvette buyer, the Porsche buyer, the Oldsmobile buyer, the Prius buyer, etc. What you buy, rationalizations aside, is the image of the vehicle. That's why we don't all drive identical Protons from Malaysia.

gota911 06-13-2005 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by leedav
It's a matter of positioning, ... What you buy, rationalizations aside, is the image of the vehicle. That's why we don't all drive identical Protons from Malaysia.

Thank goodness I drive a Neutron from Malaysia! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Midnight Rider 06-13-2005 09:30 PM

Lee, I am always amused by your points of view. Keep em coming......